• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Cleverley or GC Semi Bespoke

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference apart from price and designs?

jon5986

Reaction score
The Anthony Cleverley range is a much higher spec shoe and closer to their bespoke shoes. Also, the styles are unique and taken from Anthony's old book, which is some 50 years old. The price of these shoes are 995 GBP. THe shoes trees, bags and boxes are also different (nicer).

The Semi-Bespoke shoes are a step up from the RTW but not as elegant looking in my opinion as the AC range. The price of these are approx 595 GBP.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Just to give you a good comparison, I own a G&G MTO side gussetted shoe...the Wigmore...and a semi-bespoke Anthony Cleverley side gussetted shoe.

Shoe construction is similar. The quality of the leather appear equal. Finish on both shoes was great
There is no clear winner amongst the 2

The G&G shoe weighs a bit more and appears longer. The Cleverley shoe feels very light and is shorter. This is the M.O. of each company

Price was similar when you factor in the price of a G&G MTO shoe does not include shoe trees or shipping costs....Cleverley's does.

I will purchase more shoes from both companies.

I must commend Cleverley for delivering the shoe months ahead of their original ETA. G&G is still working on improving their delivery time of 6 months.

Not that it makes any real difference...G&G's mahogany shoe trees are, IMHO, the finest non-bespoke shoe trees. They are heavy, but fill my shoes quite well. The Cleverley supplied shoe trees (possibly made by Springline in Northampton) seem to be a grade below G&G's.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I disagree

I own G&G MTO and Cleverley semi-bespoke shoes

I own a G&G MTO side gussetted shoe...the Wigmore...and a semi-bespoke Anthony Cleverley side gussetted shoe.

Shoe construction is similar. The quality of the leather appear equal. Finish on both shoes was great

Price was similar when you factor in the price of a G&G MTO shoe does not include shoe trees or shipping costs.

I will purchase more shoes from each company...naturally side gussetted designs within the next 2 weeks as both will be in town this month

You can't go wrong with either companies MTO/semi-bespoke shoes. I must commend Cleverley for delivering the shoe months ahead of their original ETA. G&G is still working on improving their delivery time...and finishing my last order made in April
blush.gif

I'm not sure where you shopped but I just ordered my first GG MTO shoe -- the Isham -- and the price (700 GBP) includes Lasted shoe trees and shipping.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I disagree. Just to give you a good comparison, I own a G&G MTO side gussetted shoe...the Wigmore...and a semi-bespoke Anthony Cleverley side gussetted shoe.

The G&G shoe weighs a bit more and appears longer. The Cleverley shoe feels very light and is shorter. This is the M.O. of each company

Price was similar when you factor in the price of a G&G MTO shoe does not include shoe trees or shipping costs....Cleverley's does.

I will purchase more shoes from both companies.

I must commend Cleverley for delivering the shoe months ahead of their original ETA. G&G is still working on improving their delivery time of 6 months.

Not that it makes any real difference...G&G's mahogany shoe trees are, IMHO, the finest non-bespoke shoe trees. They are heavy, but fill my shoes quite well. The Cleverley supplied shoe trees (possibly made by Springline in Northampton) seem to be a grade below G&G's.

He was Comparing GC Anthony with GC Semi- not GG
wink.gif

Loudly

Reaction score
The new-ish GC website appears to show that they are dropping the Semi-Bespoke line, and consolidating RTW into the CJ-made benchmade shoes and the Anthony Cleverley line.

It looks like my pair of Semi-Bespokes have been migrated to the AC line as the "Philip," but still marked on the site as "semi-bespoke." Wondering if the AC line is still a cut above the former Semi-Bespoke, or if there was some other merger of the lines.

Anyone with further information?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Semi bespoke no longer made.
Semi bespoke hand welted with lower grade leather and less elegant lasts
Anthony Cleverley is good year welted and very good leather and more elegant last and most highend rtw and imitation of bespoke.
Anthony Cleverley look very very good and me like it.
A.C elongated shank area very very special.
Edward Green top draw>Anthony Cleverley >JL Pestige>Edward Green regular

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads