• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakedundermyclothes
/
What would you say would be a better alternative at the J Crew pricerange?

Banana Republic

chiamdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I'm waiting for the classic wool version to go on sale as I might snag those up.

Thanks for the input; I'm interested in the wool ones as well. I'll probably audition them with the next order I place to qualify for free shipping.

synovoid

Reaction score
J Crew is kinda silly, if you order on your phone, you need pay the shipping. but if you order on their RED phone, you dont need pay the shipping.

synovoid

Reaction score
once again, anybody have the J Crew x Red Wing boots in Dark Straw color?

youalreadyknow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
J Crew is kinda silly, if you order on your phone, you need pay the shipping. but if you order on their RED phone, you dont need pay the shipping.

it makes sense though, the reason you would use the red phone is because they didn't have what you were looking for in the store, or else you would have bought it there.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youalreadyknow
it makes sense though, the reason you would use the red phone is because they didn't have what you were looking for in the store, or else you would have bought it there.

You can save on tax too if you have it sent to someone living in a state with no sales tax on clothes. So, like, send it to a relative or friend in Oregon or some such place, then pick it up the next time you visit.

See me for more money-saving ideas!

synovoid

Reaction score
well, they could be smarter. say, use their database to locate the goods you want, if not available in their stores near you, then they provide free shipping. wonder how hard it is

chiamdream

Reaction score
A nice compromise would be for them to have more reasonable shipping rates when ordering from home, but what can you do.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
once again, anybody have the J Crew x Red Wing boots in Dark Straw color?

No, but I tried them on in the Seattle store. Didn't like the color as much as the other two options.

synovoid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
No, but I tried them on in the Seattle store. Didn't like the color as much as the other two options.

what kinda leather is it? the picture on J Crew site looks like they're suede boots

if the leather is similar to the hickory's, only lighter tanned, I wanna give it a try.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
what kinda leather is it? the picture on J Crew site looks like they're suede boots

if the leather is similar to the hickory's, only lighter tanned, I wanna give it a try.

Yea if I remember correctly it's suede. It was alright but if I'm going to buy some big ass-kicking mountain logger work boots that I'm going to sludge through dirt, mud, rain etc I don't want suede. It just didn't look right either, suede should be used for casual/dressy wear. If you're going to baby them and like the style then I guess it's ok because the color aint bad.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakedundermyclothes
/
What would you say would be a better alternative at the J Crew pricerange?

BR is good. Also try Macy's and Bloomingdale's.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
I usually load up on the cotton-cashmere or cotton-wool sweaters when they are between $20-30. They do lose shape over time but Im not too worried when they are only $20-30. But they arent worth the regular price. Other than that my other sweaters are all $150<

Edit: you should check out there lambswool, I have 1 and its held its shape better than the cotton cashmere.

I have two of their lambswool half zips from last year that are pretty solid for 40 each on sale.

Anyway, hit the store today and they had NOTHING I was looking for. No Millerain jackets, no crew neck sueded fleece; the only flannels they had were the green/black and red/black buffalo plaid, so I tried on the small and it will work, so I can order the sodus bay and the youngstown online. They run big, considering I'm a 40 chest.

Tried on the secret wash shirts, and the small is too tight, medium too big....WTF? I really want the gunmetal giant gingham and the smaller blue/white gingham. On a side note, I actually stopped into A&F and they had a slightly larger gingham in blue/white for $70 which will probably work in a medium in their muscle fit. No gay moose logo, just a small, removable tag on the bottom of the hem. Unfortunately, the horrid stench of Abercrombie cologne and the fact I was accosted by some large tropical type plant (I swear it reached out and grabbed me) kept me from trying it on. I had to leave the store, but did contemplate returning with an oxygen mask. There was a ridiculously hot salesgirl in there though, grinding on a male employee, which made it a fairly enjoyable visit.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
On a side note, I actually stopped into A&F and they had a slightly larger gingham in blue/white for $70 which will probably work in a medium in their muscle fit. No gay moose logo, just a small, removable tag on the bottom of the hem. Unfortunately, the horrid stench of Abercrombie cologne and the fact I was accosted by some large tropical type plant (I swear it reached out and grabbed me) kept me from trying it on. I had to leave the store, but did contemplate returning with an oxygen mask. There was a ridiculously hot salesgirl in there though, grinding on a male employee, which made it a fairly enjoyable visit.

That's funny sh*t right there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads