• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiamdream
So, in Chicago, Hanig's is the only game in town for Alden, right? Can I count on them to stock all of the various widths, or at the very least, give me an accurate measurement of my Alden size? I'm somewhere between a D and an EE depending on the brand (so I'm probably an E, I guess), which matters less for a $50 pair of Top-Siders than a $400 boot.
^ Barrie last is true to size in length for American dress shoe but one width wider & with a full, round toe. If your usual size in an American dress shoe (AE, Alden) is 11E, get the 11D Barrie last Alden boot. An 11D Barrie last boot/shoe fits like an 11E other-last Alden. Not as confident about this w/ AE, not wearing them any more, but pretty sure this is the case. I mention this because the E-width guys are in luck w/ all the special orders on the Barrie that come only in D width. Skinny feet guys usually size down for a Barrie-last Alden that's only available in D width.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Nice pics of the Alden x Context Roy boot after 30 days of wear. This dude is beating them in nicely.

http://allplaidout.com/?p=2919

They look great but....

Originally Posted by Piato
I guarantee that those shoes will be nasty and almost unwearable in another month or so. Shoes are not raw denim. They need a day or two between wearing (preferably with shoe trees) to limit moisture.

+1

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
"Ryan's Roy Boots. Worn every day for approximately 30 days."

Somewhere the Shoe Fairy is weeping.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ Barrie last is true to size in length for American dress shoe but one width wider & with a full, round toe. If your usual size in an American dress shoe (AE, Alden) is 11E, get the 11D Barrie last Alden boot. An 11D Barrie last boot/shoe fits like an 11E other-last Alden. Not as confident about this w/ AE, not wearing them any more, but pretty sure this is the case.

I mention this because the E-width guys are in luck w/ all the special orders on the Barrie that come only in D width. Skinny feet guys usually size down for a Barrie-last Alden that's only available in D width.

I do not agree with this. I wear a 10 1/2 in most shoes and a 10 on the Barrie Last.

This link has some sizing info:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

More is available if you use Google and search for a specific Last.

If you are buying online most of the sellers will try and help you size right if you contact them. Many will take returns or exchanges with the caveat being Cordovan Leather. Because it will crease and devalue the shoe I would not order one on a specific last first in Cordovan or I would be EXTREMELY careful when trying on Cordovan. This is only fair in my opinion.

There is a lot of info on the Barrie last online. Some of the others are hit or miss.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guarantee that those shoes will be nasty and almost unwearable in another month or so. Shoes are not raw denim. They need a day or two between wearing (preferably with shoe trees) to limit moisture.
I am glad our soldiers in the field can carry extra pairs of boots and shoe trees to the field or they would be shoeless before the end of some long deployments.
teacha.gif

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I'm sure this isn't the best for these boots long term and I switch between Tankers and my Indy boots most days with a few others thrown in here and there for just those reasons.

But, these are Ryan's boots....as in one of the owner's of Context. I'm sure he wanted to break them in fast so there was an example of what they looked like after some good hard wear. Makes sense to me from that perspective, but for most people probably not the best route to take.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be aware they don't look quite like that in real life. Check this thread out:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=alden+orvis

I had a pair and didn't care for how they came. Put some Obenauf's on them and liked the look much better. Ended up having some quality issues with the boots so I no longer have them but the stock look is quite different from their website in my experience.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Those roys look marsupialed. I don't see how anyone can make them look like that after a month unless they were intentionally abusing them for internet e-cred and marketing. Also dumb to wear them every day without letting them recover.

I want my shoes to look worn not like they scavenged from a dumpster.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ Barrie last is true to size in length for American dress shoe but one width wider & with a full, round toe. If your usual size in an American dress shoe (AE, Alden) is 11E, get the 11D Barrie last Alden boot. An 11D Barrie last boot/shoe fits like an 11E other-last Alden. Not as confident about this w/ AE, not wearing them any more, but pretty sure this is the case.

I mention this because the E-width guys are in luck w/ all the special orders on the Barrie that come only in D width. Skinny feet guys usually size down for a Barrie-last Alden that's only available in D width.

I respectfully disagree.

I am a 9 1/2E and have been trying to make 9 1/2D Barrie lasted Aldens work for me. (Tru-balance too al la the Ultimate Indy.) The length always seemed too long and the width slightly too snug on the Barrie. (Width on Ultimates seemed good)

I bought and sold some 9D chukkas, too tight.

I tried on a pair of Barrie lasted chukkas in 9E last month and am now selling all my other Aldens to get my correct sizes.

Learn from my mistakes. If you have a wide foot, hold out for the E's and size down one half in length on the Barrie and Tru-balance. (And possibly the Tremont but the jury is still out on that one...)

kalanigee

Reaction score
Do you have them? Do you have pics of them broken in? Or did you just recently pre-order?

I'd most definitely love to see pics of the Jumper boot from folks who got em and have been wearing them.

Originally Posted by SLAB
i want in on those cigar shell cordovan Indy's but I recently spend all my money on the Leathersoul Jumper boots. It hurts to have a boots fetish
frown.gif

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I am glad our soldiers in the field can carry extra pairs of boots and shoe trees to the field or they would be shoeless before the end of some long deployments.
teacha.gif

HA! Right on. These are boots guys. They are designed to be beaten up. But I am really surprised at the wear on those in 30 days though. Especially the wear on the heel. If the Alden crepe sole wears out that fast then I don't think it is that much more durable than clarks or any other. Leather or commando for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads