• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Yes, lapped seam sounds right. Each side is folded over to its own side, so it looks symmetric.

I think a lapped seam is when both are folded over to one side, but I could easily be wrong. So, you're saying that, viewed externally, you see the seam and two rows of hand stitching, one on either side?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
And there is no handwork in a Kabbaz shirt. They are, however, lovingly packaged by hand.

If mailed to their clients, they are also conveyed within machines guided by hand...some of the machines fly.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
...some of the machines fly.

Apparently, only lying Italians fly their shirts by hand.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think a lapped seam is when both are folded over to one side, but I could easily be wrong. So, you're saying that, viewed externally, you see the seam and two rows of hand stitching, one on either side?

Yes, and the stitching is very fine, like good pick stitching.

--Andre

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Long underarm seams viewed form the inside, striped Borrelli on top and white Kiton on the bottom (click for supersize):

The lapped seam on the Borrelli is machine closed and machine topstitched (and nicely.)

The lapped seam on the Kiton is machine closed, but hand topstitched (the lowest horizontal line of stitching.) If this is really done by hand, and not by some Kiton hand-emulation, it is pretty nice work.

- B

whatsinaname

Reaction score
I think these examples are more often called flat-felled seams in the context of shirts.

Did Borrelli use two different machine stitch lengths to prove that the shirt was single-needle sewn? If so, hilarious.

Long underarm seams viewed form the inside, striped Borrelli on top and white Kiton on the bottom (click for supersize):
The lapped seam on the Borrelli is machine closed and machine topstitched (and nicely.)

The lapped seam on the Kiton is machine closed, but hand topstitched (the lowest horizontal line of stitching.) If this is really done by hand, and not by some Kiton hand-emulation, it is pretty nice work.

- B

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks different than the Kiton I saw in a N-M last year around Christmas, but perhaps my memory is failing me. Manton and Matt were there as well, and may remember better.

Do you have a picture of the side body seam?

--Andre

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
That looks different than the Kiton I saw in a N-M last year around Christmas, but perhaps my memory is failing me. Manton and Matt were there as well, and may remember better.

Do you have a picture of the side body seam?

--Andre

That's all I got for you. These two shirts about about eight or nine years old, though...nearly all my shirts except for the recent batch of Black Fleece OCBDs are eight to fifteen years old.

Ergo, the search for shirtmaker.

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW - Kiton is having a trunk show at BG tomorrow. Foo want don't you go and have a look.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
FWIW - Kiton is having a trunk show at BG tomorrow. Foo want don't you go and have a look.

Do you propose a Head Mounted FooCam, or a little spy camera replacing one of his Ambrosi fly buttons?

- B

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
And there is no handwork in a Kabbaz shirt.
This is not correct, the button is attach of hand, and the monogram is sewn of hand.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If mailed to their clients, they are also conveyed within machines guided by hand...some of the machines fly.

If not guided by hand, then at least guidance systems coded by hand...for now.

And here are some close-ups of the sleeve seam on the white RTW Kiton I got at Wilkes two years ago.

Outer seam
1.jpg

2.jpg

Inner seam
3.jpg

4.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you propose a Head Mounted FooCam, or a little spy camera replacing one of his Ambrosi fly buttons?
- B

I want to see something other than the floor...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I want to see something other than the floor...

And wouldn't you worry if they mounted the camera facing the wrong way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads