• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

salon vs. barbershop

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i normally hit salons for haircuts. in fact, i don't think i've ever been to an actual barbershop for one. i'm starting to think it's time to make a switch. i haven't had an impressive haircut in a while and since my ****'s thinning out on top i'm running out of options for creativity, anyways. besides that, them salon biatches don't seem to be able to get the roundness out of the sides. maybe i just need to go somewhere for a run-of-the-mill dude haircut.

anybody made the switch one way or the other? if so, why?

Cashmoney

Reaction score
I only go to barbershops.

I tell him my number -- I usually get a one or a one-and-a-half -- and read for the five minutes he needs to do his work. I go the House barbershop in the basement of the Rayburn House office building. He charges $14. I give him a $20 and I'm on my way.

No muss no fuss. And no attitude and no bullshit.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I switched to a barber several years ago. No appointments needed and a straight razor shave on the back of the neck is included. Clips any stray/long hair on ears, eye brows and nostrils. A man's place. Costs me $13 and I usually tip an additional $3.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've recently switched to a barbershop as well. When I tried to get a recommendation of a stylist after moving to Sacramento, I found that most of the guys in my office apparently go to Supercuts.
frown.gif

I found a traditional barber shop down the street from my apartment. Price is $10 which includes the shaving cream with straight razor finish around the ears and neck and a trim of my eyebrows when necessary. I usually tip $2.

The nice part about the price and the fact that you can just walk in is that I find myself going in about every three weeks now so I don't let my hair get too shaggy.

i10casual

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I did the hair stylist place for just a normal cut. Now the wifey just has at me with clippers, but it's a mess to clean up.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet a better solution: learn to cut your own hair

ijk

Reaction score
I wait until little dreadlocks form to cut my hair

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Salon

Because I get a nice shampoo/massage/wash with fancy expensive chemicals and lots of eye candy to look at.

XeF4

Reaction score
I am pretty familier with the differences in both of these kinds of establishments and a barbershop is better in every aspect.

jdcpa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
which includes the shaving cream with straight razor finish around the ears and neck.

This is the best thing about the barber shop. It feels so civilized. Also, it has the functional utility of making sure you have a total hair cut.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two different styles of cutting, usually.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
My thought is that the older crowd, who is just looking for a short, clean, basic haircut is probably best just going to a barbershop. However, someone that is younger and wants either a fashionable or longer hairstyle should probably go to a salon if they can afford it. Also, hair stylists that work at salons tend to know more about what haircut will look best on a particular head shape.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I heard that the actual barber license is no longer offered in NJ. Everyone just gets beautician licenses now. That's what my (old school) barber recently told me. He said they don't teach people how to cut hair like barbers anymore (not sure what that means).

Cavalier

Reaction score
I cut my own hair, purchased an Oster 76--- the best clippers out, and shave my head at #000 every week or two.

I have gone to both a salon and barbershop before.

Salons generally scissor cut hair, but as far as them being super smart and savy regarding what will look good-- I think that's BS. What you're paying for is the atmosphere and eye candy-- if you're not in the business of taking stylists then I think it's probably a waste of $$. Unless of course you have large amounts of disposable paper and are happy just looking..

Barbers are just as good at cutting hair, but I don't know if I'd trust any random barber to do scissor cuts IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads