• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Not worth the $$. Macallan is very overpriced. You can get some amazing bottle for $2,000 and still have half left.

I don't disagree. You pay for the Mac name for sure. But if I had the $ it would be in my collection.

... I have yet to venture past a 100$ bottle myself.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrocsRock
Guess what I collect? Here's most of 'em (I've kept a few of the duplicates)

img0798b.jpg

img0799rz.jpg

Cool collection, you have some interesting stuff there. Those old Glenmorangies (Port and Burgundy), as well as the Bowmore 17 are somewhat sought after. I think the old Glenmorangies are also better than the new stuff the distillery is doing.

In the first picture, in the upper right, what are the three white ones? One looks like an Arran, but I'm not sure which one, and the other two I don't recognize.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I don't disagree. You pay for the Mac name for sure. But if I had the $ it would be in my collection.

... I have yet to venture past a 100$ bottle myself.

You don't really need to either, especially if you like different regions and aren't tied down to specific distilleries, do some research and scour the internet for deals. I've found some great deals online when I was searching for particular bottles and not just surfing aimlessly. Usually shipping about equals what one would pay in taxes too, so its not really a large barrier to entry.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You don't really need to either, especially if you like different regions and aren't tied down to specific distilleries, do some research and scour the internet for deals. I've found some great deals online when I was searching for particular bottles and not just surfing aimlessly. Usually shipping about equals what one would pay in taxes too, so its not really a large barrier to entry.

Not tied to distilleries, etc. I am in the try everything and learn phase (which I feel is taking years) - any good sites you'd suggest?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not tied to distilleries, etc. I am in the try everything and learn phase (which I feel is taking years) - any good sites you'd suggest?

To buy stuff or to research stuff?

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
In the first picture, in the upper right, what are the three white ones? One looks like an Arran, but I'm not sure which one, and the other two I don't recognize.

Top white one is an anCnoc 12 year. Next row white ones are a McClelland Isley and a pair of the Arran Robert Burns edition.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Ah, what the heck... a semi-recent pic:

3908935964_0a4e7bc4cf.jpg

Someone likes peat! Care to run us through you collection a little?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To buy. The knowledge is there, for the most part.

As I said, I don't generally shop around online, I look for specific bottles. Smart Googling leads to them nine times out of ten. If you just want to browse, Binnys, Park Ave. Liquor, Astor, Drinkupny, D & M, BevMo, Sams Wine and Liquor, Shoppers Vinyard, and K & L are all good, but you might fritter away hours just browsing unless you ha e a pretty good picture out what you are looking for.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call it a collection since everything gets... tasted (everything is fair game when I have guests over) and replaced by something else. It has already evolved significantly since this photo was taken.

Regardless, from top-left to bottom-right:

Aberlour A'bunadh (not sure if it was a previous Batch, but Batch 26 is what I have now)
Isle of Jura 10yr (been sitting there for a while... worst Jura I've had. Strangely, I've recently had an independent bottling of a Jura 10yr that was from a completely different planet)
HP15 (wasn't my favorite... too much bourbon influence)
Bunnahabhain 12yr
Decantered Laphroaig 30yr (in glass flask)
Mac12
Glenfiddich 15 Solera
Glenlivet Nadurra (older batch than what's out now)
Springbank 10yr
Ardmore (no age statement... same one that everyone carries)
Signatory HP 16yr
Talisker 10yr
Talisker 18yr
Talisker DE
Talisker 175th Anniversary
Laphroaig 15yr
Lagavulin 12yr (Cask Strength 2008 Special Edition UK 70cl)
Ardbeg Uigeadail (current)
PC6
Ardbeg Supernova x3 (long story... stories actually)
Laphroaig 30yr
Lagavulin DE (forgot the vintage)
Signatory Brora 24yr
PC5

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collection of Taliskers. How long ago did you get the 18? I can't seem to find that anywhere! Also what do you think of PC5 v PC6 v Supernova?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
As I said, I don't generally shop around online, I look for specific bottles. Smart Googling leads to them nine times out of ten. If you just want to browse, Binnys, Park Ave. Liquor, Astor, Drinkupny, D & M, BevMo, Sams Wine and Liquor, Shoppers Vinyard, and K & L are all good, but you might fritter away hours just browsing unless you ha e a pretty good picture out what you are looking for.

Thank you sir.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice pics all. One more of part of my collection. 28 y/o cask strength Bunnahabhain
smile.gif
A little Crag CS, Balvenie 21 port wood, and maybe some Louix XIII peeking into the picture
wink.gif

DSC00831.jpg

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like your 13 is running low, have an extra 2k around for a refill?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads