• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alright: I've finally decided to start with someone on getting shirts that fit. I plan to see Robert Whittaker when he comes into town later next month.

Some of you have used him in the past, but then changed shirtmakers. For those of you do use him now, what is your opinion of the product coming out currently from Dege?

Thanks.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Seriously though, isn't there a bespoke shirtmaker in Boston you could try instead? Or do you insist on an English shirtmaker?

Nope. There's BoLine in Norwell, but despite the kind words about them from Carl at CEGO, general local consensus is that they suck.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. What about the NYC shirtmakers? I'm just curious as to what had you seeking out an English shirtmaker. From the outside looking in, it's easier to grasp why you chose Steed (cut, etc) for your suits, but I didn't think there'd be as many noticeable differences between shirtmakers, aside from actual quality of construction and finishing. Are they known to make a superior shirt? I mean, I can't imagine you chose them for the same reason why a lot of guys here get their shirts from Jantzen ya know. Anyhow, I do look forward to your shirt fitting threads.
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^^^

Isn't the lack of Vox shirt fitting threads a reason enough???

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I see. What about the NYC shirtmakers? I'm just curious as to what had you seeking out an English shirtmaker. From the outside looking in, it's easier to grasp why you chose Steed (cut, etc) for your suits, but I didn't think there'd be as many noticeable differences between shirtmakers, aside from actual quality of construction and finishing. Are they known to make a superior shirt? I mean, I can't imagine you chose them for the same reason why a lot of guys here get their shirts from Jantzen ya know. Anyhow, I do look forward to your shirt fitting threads.
smile.gif

If there must be travel, I prefer to have the makers travel to me rather than me to them. If I didn't have this preference, then yes, NYC for Geneva, Paris, CEGO would make sense. I almost went with Kabbaz last year but the whole framework of getting shirts from him had a flavor that did not appeal to me in the end.

While I'm not sure that we can talk about the classic Jermyn Street shirt anymore, I still think there is a distinctive English look and conventions of construction. I suppose a stylistically flexible American shirtmaker could replicate that, but why bother when the originals travel to Boston?

As for quality: well, that might be an issue which is why I post this thread.

If I travelled to Paris reliably enough, I would do Charvet grand-mÃ
00a9.png
sure. I still don't rule that out at some point.

Anyway, Whittaker is a skilled shirtmaker. I've corresponded with two members here who used to use him, but then changed because there was a drop in quality, reliability and overall service.

I'm wondering from current clients if this is no longer a concern since I would like to think that must have been some sort of temporary issue.

I probably should ask this over at the Lounge since it's like crickets here on this topic.

Originally Posted by gomestar
^^^^

Isn't the lack of Vox shirt fitting threads a reason enough???

Well put.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I thought I read that Charvet traveled to Boston. Must be mistaken.
Can't imagine their bespoke price however as their MTM starts at $600

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
For some reason I thought I read that Charvet traveled to Boston. Must be mistaken.
Can't imagine their bespoke price however as their MTM starts at $600

Seems like everyone's prices are up these days. Paris wants $395 for Thomas Mason Silverline and $600 for SIC Tess 120s!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Seems like everyone's prices are up these days. Paris wants $395 for Thomas Mason Silverline and $600 for SIC Tess 120s!

LOL.

Me likey teh English, but I don't get why anyone would get bespoke shirts from them when other options are available at lower cost, better fit, and higher quality.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Anyway, Whittaker is a skilled shirtmaker. I've corresponded with two members here who used to use him, but then changed because there was a drop in quality, reliability and overall service. I'm wondering from current clients if this is no longer a concern since I would like to think that must have been some sort of temporary issue. I probably should ask this over at the Lounge since it's like crickets here on this topic. - B
My understanding was that it was a temporary issue and that the entire firm had basically been co-opted by one of the Middle Eastern oil kingdoms for some kind of massive order and that the vast majority of the firm's time and resources were devoted to completing it. Dege carries royal warrants from Bahrain and Oman if I remember correctly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
LOL.

Me likey teh English, but I don't get why anyone would get bespoke shirts from them when other options are available at lower cost, better fit, and higher quality.

Lower cost I understand, although Dege shirts start around $270 for their basic fabrics.

Can you explain more what you mean by "better fit?" Do you mean (a) that after an English shirtmaker like Whittaker makes up your pattern and adjusts it after the first few shirts, that subsequent shirts will not adhere reliably to this pattern or do you mean that (b) English shirtmakers will simply not make you a shirt that conforms their style to your body?

As for "higher quality," the fabrics are their own thing. But I do wonder about the quality of make not being reliably good. I am not sure, though, if I can think of a shirtmaker accessible to Americans against whom some degree of Internet complaint has not been registered.

I guess I will find out directly myself shortly.

But, getting back to my main question: is anyone using Whittaker now, and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts on what the Dege shop is putting out today?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
My understanding was that it was a temporary issue and that the entire firm had basically been co-opted by one of the Middle Eastern oil kingdoms for some kind of massive order and that the vast majority of the firm's time and resources were devoted to completing it. Dege carries royal warrants from Bahrain and Oman if I remember correctly.

Interesting. Thank you.

- B

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox, any particular style of shirt/collar in mind? Such as OCBD?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

What's Matuozzo up to these days? And by that, I mean the price.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads