• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, as of the moment, we have reservations at Bouley. I'm going to keep looking for other options, but there's not much else to choose from on Sunday.

Good choice. The new location is nice and preserves the feel of the previous place.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Well, as of the moment, we have reservations at Bouley. I'm going to keep looking for other options, but there's not much else to choose from on Sunday.

Like I said - u cant go wrong there. It'll be within your expectations.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to L'Atelier in NYC but have been to the one in Vegas several times and it is one of my favorite restaurants. That said, the food and serviec (in LV at least) were great but it is not very romantic. Why not go out Saturday night and then plan a surprise for her on Sunday?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I'll be in NY for one night--Oct 16--and are going to make it our 1st anniversary dinner even though we'll be a couple weeks out--dangerous, I know.

I assume there are good suggestions in this thread--unfortunately most of these places are already booked on Friday the 16 unless we want to eat at small timers' hour, i.e., 6pm. Any new recs? Unlike mafew, we probably prefer Italian to French but are open to whatever, and also unlike mafew, budget is not unlimited. Staying in the meatpacking dist, it seems, but don't need to eat there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Wife and I'll be in NY for one night--Oct 16--and are going to make it our 1st anniversary dinner even though we'll be a couple weeks out--dangerous, I know.

I assume there are good suggestions in this thread--unfortunately most of these places are already booked on Friday the 16 unless we want to eat at small timers' hour, i.e., 6pm. Any new recs? Unlike mafew, we probably prefer Italian to French but are open to whatever, and also unlike mafew, budget is not unlimited. Staying in the meatpacking dist, it seems, but don't need to eat there.

Il Gattopardo!!!!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Alright, so two strikes against babbo.

Seriously, look into Il Gattopardo. It's easier to get a table there, the space is cozier and more romantic, and the food is as good as any other Italian in the city. Everyone knows Babbo; Gattopardo is a find.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Del Posto was excellent.

Perhaps Mia Dona if you're on a tight budget.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Seriously, look into Il Gattopardo. It's easier to get a table there, the space is cozier and more romantic, and the food is as good as any other Italian in the city. Everyone knows Babbo; Gattopardo is a find.

Babbo downstairs was pretty damn cozy and romantic. Any more-so and it would have been suffocating. But, I will try your recommendation next time I'm in NYC.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Babbo downstairs was pretty damn cozy and romantic. Any more-so and it would have been suffocating. But, I will try your recommendation next time I'm in NYC.

moo - where's your nyc visit thread? i only saw that flag pix and some stray references to a spaghetti dinner.
confused.gif

scalini fideli in the old boley spot is pretty darn good.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
moo - where's your nyc visit thread? i only saw that flag pix and some stray references to a spaghetti dinner.
confused.gif

scalini fideli in the old boley spot is pretty darn good.

It's coming... it has been pretty crazy since we came back, and we move Friday so the past week has been chock full of packing. In a week maybe...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another +1 to Eleven Madison Park.

I took my girlfriend there for her Birthday dinner back in July and the experience was just exquisite. Fantastic service that was very knowledgeable, attentive, but not overbearing. The food was magnificently creative, delightfully tasty, with imaginative presentation. The price is a tad heft for the tasting but well worth it for the experience.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Another +1 to Eleven Madison Park.

I took my girlfriend there for her Birthday dinner back in July and the experience was just exquisite. Fantastic service that was very knowledgeable, attentive, but not overbearing. The food was magnificently creative, delightfully tasty, with imaginative presentation. The price is a tad heft for the tasting but well worth it for the experience.

which menu did you get? The 'summer' tasting menu back in June/July was fantastic.

I really want to return for their suckling pig tasting menu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads