• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
All the fashionistas and trendies have gathered in one thread to debate weather we should all be wearing tight or loose clothing. At stake is this months groupthink, and we are having a hard time reaching consensus.

I wear both so I'm probably gonna get shot.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I wear both so I'm probably gonna get shot.

Who is the Pol Pot of StyleForum?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I distrust coincidence. One saw a lot of people "independently rediscovering" the boxy three-button before they started talking about how "slim lapels suit the slimmer man." If you're still wearing narrow lapels after GQ stops hawking them, you'll have my respect.

Originally Posted by superego
^ +1

Sigh. You need to hang out in the WAYWRN thread more.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Who is the Pol Pot of StyleForum?

I don't know, I'm just your friendly neighborhood anarchist webmaster causing trouble as usual.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I don't know, I'm just your friendly neighborhood anarchist webmaster causing trouble as usual.

Better keep your quirks under wraps. The peasant revolution will favor those who wear brown.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Better keep your quirks under wraps. The peasant revolution will favor those who wear brown.

I wear brown too so I guess I'll be OK when the peasants revolt. I better buy some black though just in case the revolt is quashed.

IBJanky

Reaction score
You're simply not very smart. I am on the low side of healthy weight--I can hardly find belts small enough for my waist and jackets that don't require a recut. I'm criticizing some of the assumptions behind the trend, and the concept of trendiness in general. That you choose to argue on such a low level is symptomatic of a deeper feeling of inferiority.

oakgreytorquem1_large.jpg

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the webbing on that hand.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
actually i dont care if you dont trust. no bother to me. honestly i dont know why you think everyone (but you ) is imprisoned and stressed by trends that come and go and/or we so urgently need to prove that we are not or we won't get so and so's respect. just relax. it's clothes.
You do realize this is a website made for the singular purpose of having intense debates on clothing? More to the point, I don't think anything like what you claim. All I mean to suggest is that the influence of fashion can be subtle, and it is the well-dressed man's responsibility to be aware of it. After all, people will reliably deny being influenced by advertising, even when it's scientifically clear that they are.

Originally Posted by laphroaig
All the fashionistas and trendies have gathered in one thread to debate whether we should all be wearing tight or loose clothing. At stake is this months groupthink, and we are having a hard time reaching consensus.
This.

hth2002

Reaction score
I actually had been a similiar size in 1996 to the guy in the photo that IBJanky posted. I weighed 125 lbs and had a 27-28" waist. The waist size may have been smaller, as I didn't have pants that actually fit. I just had a belt tightened to the last loop on a 30" waist jeans, and my pants rested on my hips. I couldn't afford alterations, so I pulled the excess shirt fabric to the back and tucked it in, then tightened the belt as much as I could. Of course, the excess fabric found away to the front, throughout the normal workday. Slim fit dress shirts weren't available at any department stores for an affordable price $30, as I was young and broke.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Fair enough.

You do realize this is a website made for the singular purpose of having intense debates on clothing? More to the point, I don't think anything like what you claim. All I mean to suggest is that the influence of fashion can be subtle, and it is the well-dressed man's responsibility to be aware of it. After all, people will reliably deny being influenced by advertising, even when it's scientifically clear that they are.

This.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luddite
In this thread:

fat-man-in-suit.jpg

When the arms actually rest on the belly, one goes past the poor power of tailoring to add or subtract.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads