• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I'm pretty thin and I like full cuts sometimes. While I really dislike tight pants, I may wear slim jeans one day and baggy tweed the next.
The SF meetup pics have me in slim pants and coats. Here's one that's more full:
velvet3bq3.jpg

Dude, great combo...

IMHO, you'd look 10x better if your pants were slimmer.

You're pretty slender, you should show it off!

That's just me though...

myke

Octavio Interrupted

Reaction score
Also, BROTHERS AND SISTERS NEED TO DEFINE THEIR TERMS. This is worse than an internet theological debate.

hth2002

Reaction score
I agree people should wear clothes that are too tight. I don't think it's a trend. There have always been people that wear tight clothes that shouldn't.

PHE1905.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
I agree people should wear clothes that are too tight. I don't think it's a trend. There have always been people that wear tight clothes that shouldn't.

PHE1905.jpg

^i think he best represents his look with that above cut.
i think this guy (or any fatguy including op) would look better in clothing that slims to his body or is a tad tighter than an actual billowy shirt and pants. that looks even more sloppy. trust me, slim clothing is not only for skinny people. there are slim jeans that go all the way up to size 36-38 waist so just to prove my point.
always a slimmer profile, whether skinny or fat , will always look cleaner and sharper (albeit if youre fat like above you will still look fat) but at least you dont look like you are wearing one of those moomoo? shirts or pants.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a skinny person, the slim fit carried by most big box retailers (e.g. Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, etc.) is an average fit on my body.

Long live slim fit.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Seems like the only people who don't like slim fitting stuff are fat/overweight people.

If they had slender physiques, they'd want to wear slim fitting stuff too.

Go to the gym and lose some weight.

myke

You're simply not very smart. I am on the low side of healthy weight--I can hardly find belts small enough for my waist and jackets that don't require a recut. I'm criticizing some of the assumptions behind the trend, and the concept of trendiness in general. That you choose to argue on such a low level is symptomatic of a deeper feeling of inferiority.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
And I disagree. There's a whole slew of lapel widths around. Sure, it's enjoying a revival, but my choice to wear slim-lapelled suits and slimmer ties has more to do with my personal aesthetic rather than a slavery to fashion trends.
I distrust coincidence. One saw a lot of people "independently rediscovering" the boxy three-button before they started talking about how "slim lapels suit the slimmer man." If you're still wearing narrow lapels after GQ stops hawking them, you'll have my respect.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I distrust coincidence. One saw a lot of people "independently rediscovering" the boxy three-button before they started talking about how "slim lapels suit the slimmer man." If you're still wearing narrow lapels after GQ stops hawking them, you'll have my respect.

There's also the distinct possibility that no one gives a **** about having your respect.

MatthewN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
I agree people shouldn't wear clothes that are too tight. I don't think it's a trend. There have always been people that wear tight clothes that shouldn't.

PHE1905.jpg

I think this photo is a poor example of your point - do you really think this man would look better in a larger t-shirt? Men of this shape are not built for t-shirts of any size.

I think he would look relatively passable in a suit that's closely tailored. I think he would look bad in a suit that drapes like a circus tent and has voluminous trousers. I also think this about pretty much everyone else. IMHO, "slim fit" is relative to the body of the wearer, and should refer to a cut that includes a minimum of excess material beyond that required to permit freedom of movement. With that definition, I think anyone from a stick-like model to the man pictured above would look their best in a slim fit suit.

Note that "looking your best" doesn't necessarily equate to "looking good"; the guy in the photo will not look all that great in anything, but I maintain that he'll look better in a closely tailored suit than a billowy one that makes him look even larger.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat

whatever dude. there's alot of things I and people here like whether it was coincidentally prior to being talked about on GQ, while it was being talked about on GQ, or afterwards. or never on GQ. there are sometimes i say" hey, i like that look in GQ, i will go try it out" sometimes i say, "hey, GQ doesnt mention a word about how i dress , go figure" and sometimes i say"hey, look at what they are showing. that is exactly what i was wearing the other day".
actually i dont care if you dont trust. no bother to me. honestly i dont know why you think everyone (but you ) is imprisoned and stressed by trends that come and go and/or we so urgently need to prove that we are not or we won't get so and so's respect. just relax. it's clothes.

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
whatever dude. there's alot of things I and people here like whether it was coincidentally prior to being talked about on GQ, while it was being talked about on GQ, or afterwards. or never on GQ. there are sometimes i say" hey, i like that look in GQ, i will go try it out" sometimes i say, "hey, GQ doesnt mention a word about how i dress , go figure" and sometimes i say"hey, look at what they are showing. that is exactly what i was wearing the other day".
actually i dont care if you dont trust. no bother to me. honestly i dont know why you think everyone (but you ) is imprisoned and stressed by trends that come and go and/or we so urgently need to prove that we are not or we won't get so and so's respect. just relax. it's [just] clothes.

HOW DARE YOU?!
cold[1].gif

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So what's being talked about here again? Somewhere in this mess I lost the gist of the OP.
All the fashionistas and trendies have gathered in one thread to debate whether we should all be wearing tight or loose clothing. At stake is this months groupthink, and we are having a hard time reaching consensus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads