• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-badged ?

spacepuppy

Reaction score
Talking with a coworker who used to work at Mens Warehouse who said that most off the rack suits are made in one place then sold to different companies who then just stick their label on them. So a suit at Mens Warehouse or one sold under a store name (Nordstroms, Bloomingdales etc) or an Armani are the same thing. True or false? Any retail experts out there that KNOW for sure? BTW we both work for the government and are not promoting or panning ANY store or brand. Personally I think it sounds like a sales line. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacepuppy
Talking with a coworker who used to work at Mens Warehouse who said that most off the rack suits are made in one place then sold to different companies who then just stick their label on them. So a suit at Mens Warehouse or one sold under a store name (Nordstroms, Bloomingdales etc) or an Armani are the same thing. True or false? Any retail experts out there that KNOW for sure? BTW we both work for the government and are not promoting or panning ANY store or brand. Personally I think it sounds like a sales line. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Obviously false to the extent that a mens warehouse suit is made by the same people as make an Armani etc but it would not surprise me that some pseudo Italian (Chinese) factory puts out the suits for the mens warehouse/3 day suit brokers/"mantoni"-type brands of the world.

If you stick around here long enough, you will become intimate with the many quality suit manufacturers that exist and for whom they make other than their own brands. Examples would be Corneliani for RL Blue Label, Cantarelli for Faconnable, Vestimenta for Armani (I think) etc etc.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
(Chinese) factory puts out the suits for the mens warehouse/3 day suit brokers/"mantoni"-type brands of the world.

i see these all over the place but never went in because they were always closed when i had the availability. was going to check them out but they only carry these no-name brands? i heard they carry versace, canali, type level suits at good prices?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i see these all over the place but never went in because they were always closed when i had the availability. was going to check them out but they only carry these no-name brands? i heard they carry versace, canali, type level suits at good prices?

Never been to one and only heard about it here and my understanding was that it was a mens warehouse type of place.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
so the 'open for only 3 days' is a psychologic gimmick to make it sound they are exclusive and hard to get?

someone here posted that their sales line is that since they are only open three days, it saves on rent/utilities/employees and they pass the savings on to you
confused.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey! I have a Mantoni and it is a nicely made suit with nice fabric and half canvas and made in...oh. :sad:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Hey! I have a Men's Wearhouse and it is a nicely made suit with nice fabric and half canvas and made in...oh. :sad:
Is it nicer than the Lauren one?
devil.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is it nicer than the Lauren one?
devil.gif

I have 2 Lauren suits, a tan cotton and a grey birdseye and both are the best fitting suits I own overall. At under $150 each new I am very pleased and received more than my money's worth already. I can post pics if you'd like
smile.gif

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I have 2 Lauren suits, a tan cotton and a grey birdseye and both are the best fitting suits I own overall. At under $150 each new I am very pleased and received more than my money's worth already. I can post pics if you'd like
smile.gif

Yes! Can you post pics of you in them? or hanging, whatever pleases you. I would like to see both suits. Thank you Bris, if you have the time.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ to the OP, it is definitely true that the same factories make for so many labels. don't confuse manufacturing with branding. "lauren" for example is not a maker but a brand. same for "calvin klein." none of this is a secret.

men's wearhouse is not a maker. they don't make the suits they sell. they buy them from someone and put various labels on them to appeal to different customers. some of these labels they make up themselves. others they rent from companies that are in the business of maintaining a brand name worth renting (e.g. calvin klein, lauren).

just because the same factory makes suits for different clients who brand them differently, does not mean the suits are made to the exact same standard. at the low end of the market, however, it's not likely that there are huge upgrades available from the factories that bang out the products sold under various brands at MW.

products from the same factories can be branded several ways to recommend the product to different consumers, who are conditioned by advertising. a polo shirt branded "lauren" might appeal to the schlub who aspires to spend time at a country club. the same polo shirt branded "sean john" might appeal to the schlub who thinks he's uh like sean john. they could come from the same factory and be made to the same standard, sure. ditto for suits.

biggest point to take away for the consumer is there is little reason to expect consistency from low-end brands from year to year. just because bigbris found a killer lauren suit, that's no guarantee that the next lauren suit you see was made by the same people to the same standard.

even when people know better, they still act like the identity of the suit is in the brand name and not in the suit itself. this is why branding is such an effective way to sell dreck. it's easier to make a snap judgment based on a label than it is to assess the quality of the item itself.

so i guess a bunch of posters will google the **** out of bigbris' lauren suit and go score something that looks kinda the same & has the same label. and feel pretty satisfied about it.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^what he said. This is true of all products in general. Suits, pants, shirts, ties, shoes, washers, dryers, furniture, lawnmowers, etc. You can never tell. You might have Factory A in China that makes Suit 1, Suit 2 and Suit 3...all exactly the same just with different labels attached. Meanwhile, Factory B in Mexico is making Suit 1 because Factory A in China can't meet production needs. And all the while both factories are also making other suits to different specifications for other customers.

I was involved in the boating industry in the late 80's early 90's and Outboard Marine Corp (OMC) had their high-line Johnson and low-line Evinrude. All of these motors were built on the same assembly lines. Some models (rated by HP) were identical except for the color and decals (and price). Other HP models they used some plastic parts in the Evinrudes and metal parts in the Johnsons. I'm sure it is like this everywhere in manufacturing.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Something interesting I learned at a job selling heating equipment is that several lines of hot air blowers are made at one factory for different brands using the same parts, same assembly line etc. They are not separated until they get to quality control. The ones that get top scores get the more expensive brand's badge, the ones which barely pass get the cheap brand's. So you might have the same factory, the same production line, the same workers etc. but still have different quality.

Not sure if this is also true with suits, but it does make sense and wouldn't surprise me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads