• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm pretty sure I know some SZers who own more CCP than Meyer but they're not posting often. That's beside the point anyway, the idea is that brands would come with a certain philosophy, look and outlook and some cockfagzzz sorta goes against that. Same when dorks start liking your favourite band. Not sure I agree as it's a product and people WILL buy it, hard to control whom but I don't see it as illogical.

I've never been against people liking a favorite band. if anything, I feel proud that they've gotten the recognition that I've felt they deserve. After all, who really wants to be unrecognized? No one who is being honest.

What I do dislike are people's transient memories. I remember the early hate from some Sufuers about brands like Engineered Garments (actually, Engineered Garments in particular), and who were riding that trend just a few years or seasons later. Same as the (younger) people who now swear that they will love Mister Freedom forever, or guys who are in their late teens or early twenties who swear that they will never like baggy jeans ever again. It's myopic and shows a lack of self-awareness, especially for those who are still developing their style identity.

I think that, at 35, and after about a decade of playing theme and variation, that I've settled comfortably into my "look". I think that Brian SD, who has known me for at least 7 years now, could attest that my look has evolved, but not really changed drastically, over that time. I'm pretty sure that Rye is probably similar. However, I am pretty sure that I couldn't have honestly said this at 19 or 20.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
This is true, but it's a self-inflicted issue on the part of men. We're too self-conscious about what is and isn't appropriate and tend to scoff at anything that doesn't fit the defined concept of what "men's" clothing is, ignoring that all clothing has transformed over time. Women's fashion has co-opted ideas from men's fashion far more than vice versa.

whats really funny to me is how some guys wont buy **** like soap or shampoo unless it is marketed and branded in a way that confirms their manliness

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i've known guys who won't buy shirts in a size small or medium purely because they felt less masculine in anything that isn't a large.

Geste

Reaction score
...how often do you go to stores (all types, i.e. boutiques, speciality, department, etc..) and YOU know more than the "salesperson?"

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Kinda mad nobody has my junya cardigan in my size.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes a slim cut?

I mean everyone says RRL shirts are cut slim, but their pit to pit is huge relative to shoulders. Gitman is better, the best is BOO.

Slim means smaller pit to pit for a given shoulder width right?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
What makes a slim cut? I mean everyone says RRL shirts are cut slim, but their pit to pit is huge relative to shoulders. Gitman is better, the best is BOO. Slim means smaller pit to pit for a given shoulder width right?
It depends on the type of shirt. A flannel or western shirt can appear to have wide shoulders but then have a smaller chest with a tapered waist... a "slim cut." Two other factors you've left out are the waist and sleeves which are also factors of a "slim" shirt. People around here tend to think of "slim" as looking like a size down in most generic American brands.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. If the cut is slightly too big for you, take it to the tailor and just take away the sides consistently?

I've altered a few crappy shirts and found that I screwed up by tailoring them too form fittingly feminine.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
this thread is heating up. i am done overspending on lame basics. for dress shirts i get whatever lame **** is on yoox once it hits rock bottom. i get more compliments on my h&m colorblock shirt than on any of my mmm, jil, etc. shoes and outerwear are most important to me, which is probably why I spend more on those than anything else. cheap shoes kill a 2k suit faster than anything.
Agreed here. I would love to own some RO tees, but just can't afford it.
musicboohoo[1].gif
I don't mind spending a lot on shoes and coats since they'll last the longest, and I'll wear them more often. (And I probably won't grow out of them haha.) Not as much a factor of if others will notice. It's also funny how I get compliments on the cheapest **** I own that I don't even like, and other stuff goes unnoticed. Something random I noticed that I find funny is noobs and others who say "Oh sf completely changed my style now I'm dressed by the internets."I'm basically just buying better versions of clothes I would've bought without knowing about better clothes from SF.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Agreed here. I would love to own some RO tees, but just can't afford it.
musicboohoo[1].gif
I don't mind spending a lot on shoes and coats since they'll last the longest, and I'll wear them more often. (And I probably won't grow out of them haha.) Not as much a factor of if others will notice. It's also funny how I get compliments on the cheapest **** I own that I don't even like, and other stuff goes unnoticed. Something random I noticed that I find funny is noobs and others who say "Oh sf completely changed my style now I'm dressed by the internets."I'm basically just buying better versions of clothes I would've bought without knowing about better clothes from SF.

Ditto that. I've basically kept the same aesthetic (although it has matured) since I found SF, but I'm definitely paying more attention to my clothing in terms of cut, fit, quality, ect.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
whats really funny to me is how some guys wont buy **** like soap or shampoo unless it is marketed and branded in a way that confirms their manliness

There are certain types of products that are made "for men" that are actually better, generally skincare because a shaved face needs attention in a much different way than an unshaved one. For the most part though, you're better off to just go with the "feminine" (and by that I mean completely gender neutral in almost every case) product, as the men's one's are marked up versions of the same damn thing.

Men's makeup brands make a killing off this ****; just wear MAC and be balla

Lachy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher

I'm basically just buying better versions of clothes I would've bought without knowing about better clothes from SF.

Yep. Before I knew of Raw denim, I knew I liked dark denim, but hated fake distressing, raw was the answer I was looking for, I just didn't know it existed.

I've basically learnt of a lot of brands that make what I've been looking for. Though I have certainly expanded evolved through SF, I haven't changed in any major way... Other than expenditure.

wallabeing

Reaction score
Or just save yourself the money and don't wear makeup...

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Men's makeup brands make a killing off this ****; just wear MAC and be balla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics