• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Lots of envy I see.

were the maricons wearing this?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Lots of envy I see.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Fashions come and go. Timeless style and elegance endure indefinitely.

Les modes passent, le style est Ã
00a9.png
ternel. La mode est futile, le style pas.

If you had quoted YSL in the original French, you could have avoided the citation from the tautology policeman.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Good lord, how does one spell 'kerfuffle'? Well, however, there seems to have been one here.

Two things on the 'slim' trend:

1. It means little to me as I am too old and too large for it to make any personal difference.

2. I think it's fine for those that can wear it well but I DO see some people who simply look like they've had their jacket buttons moved too far to the outside, spoiling the fit of a perfect good jacket.

If you can avoid number 2, then enjoy.

Oh, and on a purely personal note, the 'high water' trouser that seems to accompany this look on occasion mystifies me no end. I can't help but think that the gentleman needs a break.
wink.gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
WTF is up with the slim lapel hate? It's a classic look for those of us who are slimmer and who enjoy the trappings of 60s style. I'd take it over the American Psycho look any day.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "classic." It was a fashion that had a moderate heyday and is currently enjoying a revival. If you like following the fashions, that's your thing. Just don't pass it off as anything else.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, seven pages in under two days? I had no idea the word "slim" would incite such a clusterfuck.

Seems to me most folks can agree on fit being centrally important, and the focus, whether that fit happens to be slim or not due to one's proportions.

Further, as for its fadiness, it also makes sense to me, as others have alluded to, that it's a kind of sartorial response to the baginess that littered the 90s.

My personal grievance, and if I'm able to read between the lines, that of the OP, is with normally-sized people wearling slim-fitting clothing. I saw a dude walking down the street other day who looked as if his black jeans and t-shirt could have been painted on. His jeans were TOO SLIM and I really didn't care to learn that much about his anatomy, but that's what I get for staring at the sun.

I make a single exception when it comes to excessively slim-fitting clothing, and that is women of the model archetype who wear jeans that are much too tight and heels. May God bless their indiscretions.

EDIT - One other point: I think it's important to make the distinction between what works or may work for the bulk of SF members and what works for most of the population. Anorexia never really seemed appealing until I started reading some of the jean threads on SW&D and the FATTEST kids had like a 32-inch waist...

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
For those of you joining in late on this thread, I'll sum it up for you: Just a lot of fat people in this thread jealous that some of us actually work out and maintain healthy lifestyles.
Work out? That's a filthy accusation. I'm a sedentary slob. Just fat on the inside.

beowolf

Reaction score
I don't consider it a "trend" as I used to be 260 pounds and wore baggy ugly clothing. Now I am 185 pounds and I love it. I wear only fitted clothing and I look good in it. I will never go back to being fat, looking for size 40-42 pants and feeling like a total mess. Really how can wearing clothing that fits you be considered a fad or trend?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
For those of you joining in late on this thread, I'll sum it up for you: Just a lot of fat people in this thread jealous that some of us actually work out and maintain healthy lifestyles.
Speak for yourself. I'm the OP, and it has nothing to do with jealousy. I just think the whole skinny lapel, tight waist with forced lines, etc. look on most people look like crap. You might look back at this and laugh. However, by all means, if you're slim and tall wear what looks best for you. For the record, I'm even more against baggy clothes. That includes most dress shirts sold in America.

Eccentric

Reaction score
My take on this is slim/fitted, not skinny. For instance, in picking out a first good pair of raw denim, I chose APC New Standards, not New Cures, although I could have fit in them. If I had the money for either, I would wear Purple Label over Black label.

All in all, I like this trend. As has been said many times in this thread by other skinny people, it is a much better trend to live through than the 90's baggy **** trend. Sure, a lot of people take it too far, but it is usually far better executed than the "loose" look.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Seems like the only people who don't like slim fitting stuff are fat/overweight people.

If they had slender physiques, they'd want to wear slim fitting stuff too.

Go to the gym and lose some weight.

myke

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "classic." It was a fashion that had a moderate heyday and is currently enjoying a revival. If you like following the fashions, that's your thing. Just don't pass it off as anything else.

And I disagree. There's a whole slew of lapel widths around. Sure, it's enjoying a revival, but my choice to wear slim-lapelled suits and slimmer ties has more to do with my personal aesthetic rather than a slavery to fashion trends.

There are quite a few of us here who feel the same way re: slimmer cuts and lapels.

Big lapels and 80s cuts are also making a comeback. But you sure as hell won't catch me in any of that nonsense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads