• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've decided that skimping on basics because no one else can tell the difference anyway is the ultimate in what Kiya likes to refer to as peasant status. Mixing and matching applied to all parts of your wardrobe is one thing, but wearing bunch of cheap basics and then flossing with a couple of expensive, high visibility pieces is pretty lame, imo. Basics are the one thing that you really do for yourself, fashionwise. Unless you are close up and personal, no one is going to be able to tell the subtlety in the fabric, construction, wash. Of course, everyone is going to be able to tell that you are wearing a Rick Owens leather, or whatever.

Second pet peeve: taking care to keep your everyday clothes in good condition is the opposite of cool. You should do that for suits and shoes that you may wear to a wedding or a funeral. Everything else should be unsellable after about a week of wear. They are clothes. They don't deserve to be revered.

I am going to do yardwork later today in a Rag&Bone MIJ sweatshirt (super comfy), 5EP jeans, a KMW belt, and Common Projects.

Ok, I just read that. I'd say pretty much all my clothes are "high-end" except my tees, I like them plain and white and Uniqlo delivers. I have some Rick ones but I hardly wear them as they're too "detailed" I guess. Is that so wrong?

As for the beating your clothes part well I have to drop by my tailor as I broke a button on a Balenciaga jacket (while inebriated), ripped a Lanvin silk one and ripped my cloak jeans. I wouldn't say I baby my stuff...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't care for those either, they're what I try to avoid by getting away from cheap shoes, and to my dismay, everything has a commando sole on it nowadays, even the Junya Tricker's brogues for F/W (they were beautiful for S/S but the F/W suedes are poo)
Alden of Carmel ruins all their shoes by going way too crazy with that Commando sole.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Agreed on all points, even though you might be talkin about me.

Agreed. Also never seen Margiela & Dior Homme worn like that.

Seriously. And why aren't these knob shiners posting in both threads? I forgot about the non-chat edition.

probably because neofinita can afford to buy MMM at retail so he doesn't view it as some grail brand, but just another line of tailored clothing (which it is)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
probably because neofinita can afford to buy MMM at retail so he doesn't view it as some grail brand, but just another line of tailored clothing (which it is)

Not sure I follow you, MMM offers some tailored clothes (mainly line 14 and the new sartoriale) but any look at a MMM store will tell you it is not another line of tailored clothing. I sure as hell don't see it like that.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Not sure I follow you, MMM offers some tailored clothes (mainly line 14 and the new sartoriale) but any look at a MMM store will tell you it is not another line of tailored clothing. I sure as hell don't see it like that.

people are upset cause neofinita wears the tailored clothing like.. tailored clothing

what do you expect him to do?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
people are upset cause neofinita wears the tailored clothing like.. tailored clothing

what do you expect him to do?

No idea, I don't look at WAYWT anymore. When you buy clothes you get to do what you want with them but the end result counts. IMHO brand associations also have some importance but you don't have to follow me on this as it should be inherent in the designs and if it isn't the piece just isn't that representative of the brand anyway.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree, there are far more better choices if one were to treat MMM as a tailored brand. I know the men's side of the house looks grim some seasons, but that is hardly what MMM is anyway. The women's side of the house is what really defines MMM, IMO...

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I dunno how plain suit pants can be representative of a brand
frown.gif
maybe thom browne? and anyway as long as it fits nice.. who cares?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I agree, there are far more better choices if one were to treat MMM as a tailored brand. I know the men's side of the house looks grim some seasons, but that is hardly what MMM is anyway. The women's side of the house is what really defines MMM, IMO...

Lots of people say that about MMM and Junya but I wouldn't compare them to Balenciaga where the men's piece are merely an afterthought. Sure women's pieces look cooler but they always do.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I think it bothers me when people try to exert ownership over a brand. its the worst thing about SZ.. like when those marsupials get offended when john meyer buys CCP. guess what dipshits, you buying that **** at 75% discount isn't keeping the brand going; him dropping $30k .. is.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think its that women have more social freedom with their fashion

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think it bothers me when people try to exert ownership over a brand. its the worst thing about SZ.. like when those marsupials get offended when john meyer buys CCP. guess what dipshits, you buying that **** at 75% discount isn't keeping the brand going; him dropping $30k .. is.

I'm pretty sure I know some SZers who own more CCP than Meyer but they're not posting often. That's beside the point anyway, the idea is that brands would come with a certain philosophy, look and outlook and some cockfagzzz sorta goes against that. Same when dorks start liking your favourite band. Not sure I agree as it's a product and people WILL buy it, hard to control whom but I don't see it as illogical.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda like how I do facepalms whenever I see most blogs do posts on stuff like EG, Woolrich, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads