• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of the slim fitting trend?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Are you suggesting that even the Duke of Windsor fell victim by fashion, that his pants went from extremely baggy to not so baggy as time progress?
[/IMG]

No, I'm saying that the Duke of Windsor proves what I've been saying all along, which is that there is more than one correct way for clothes to fit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim? When I ran 30 miles/week and was 20 years younger,
I wasn't slim. Natural selection seems to have given me a
body to save me from a famine. So far, no famine.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wah wah wah skinny lapels anger me wah wah wah. Stfu.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say I am "tired" of this trend simply because it really doesn't impinge on my being.

Fashions come and go. Timeless style and elegance endure indefinitely.

Nas

Reaction score
No, I don't really give a **** what others wear. I don't live in a big city so no one is aware of fads less than 3 years old anyway.

jf23668532

Reaction score
The correct suit is only loose enough to allow moving comfortably, not more or less.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jf23668532
The correct suit is only loose enough to allow moving comfortably, not more or less.

+1. I observed a guy today who intentionally sized down on a suit despite the tailor insisting that it was too small. He and the woman with him wanted it to fit slim. It was a nice suit, but was much too tight.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I can't say I am "tired" of this trend simply because it really doesn't impinge on my being.

Fashions come and go. Timeless style and elegance endure indefinitely.

Well said.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't like the people who over do it or the people that just can't pull it off although sometimes I'm scared that that might be me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I just don't like the people who over do it or the people that just can't pull it off although sometimes I'm scared that that might be me.
I agree. The guy at the store today purchasing a suit was not thin. Sizing down was not what he should have done. The tailor did his best to get him to get a larger size, but to no avail, unfortunately.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
That's not actually an argument, you know. Just good ol' fashioned dickishness.

Originally Posted by jf23668532
There is this mythical conception of a happy medium. In practice, there is more of a continuum between too tight and too loose. A military cut and a drape cut are both "correct," but have different amounts of fabric.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 4realyo
I like that there is an option. The boxy, classic fit looks real sloppy on guys who should be wearing a slim fit.

Not a fan of skinny lapels, though..
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Spark
The concept of "Slim" seems to be based on a fairly vaporous definition in this discussion.

If it's the painted on jeans of the smelly hipster archetype or the "soon to be doomed to the rag pile" skinny lapels and ties of some guy like Bill Maher, then count me out at the first available exit....if not sooner

Originally Posted by bowtielover
I will agree that the fit dosen't work for everybody but looks great on most men. I do not like the skinny style as far as lapels and ties go but as far as fit I do.

Originally Posted by intent
You don't know what I look like, junior.

I'm against skinny lapels.

WTF is up with the slim lapel hate? It's a classic look for those of us who are slimmer and who enjoy the trappings of 60s style. I'd take it over the American Psycho look any day.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^For the record I was mocking, not hating. I <3 skinny lapels, as I am skinny.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^For the record I was mocking, not hating. I <3 skinny lapels, as I am skinny.
I was quite aware. Merely a compilation of lapel-related comments.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
As do tautologies. - B
With this comment, you just won the internet. Congratulations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads