• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Other SF-approved items I don't quite get the love for:

- Most Red Wing boots: Not from a function standpoint. But I've seen few models that actually make think, "Wow. I want those." Most just look chunky or kind of tacky with the white stitching.

- Filson: I'm gonna catch hell for this, but it's another case of function over form. I'm sure the bags are tough as hell, but they look pretty ordinary for people to fawn over them so much.

I just bought some Red Wing 875's in the classic oiled finish recently, I've always been fascinated with the crepe wedge sole since seeing them in their first Japanese Amekaji trend in the late '90's and the Korean copycat thing that followed a few years later, but I really had no reason wardrobe-wise to have a pair. Well, I finally broke down because I wanted something to kinda go with this current season Junya jacket I got, and I really like them, they are different for me. I don't wear a workwear aesthetic; I mainly wear these with some really faded APCs rolled up to the top of the boots and a slim APC oxford shirt, but that has been my go-to recently. I am gonna add in a shearling collared brown TOJ A2 Bomber and that will be my Fall 09 concept.

Plus I now understand why they are popular in Japan; they make you about and inch and a half taller insantly, without looking high heeled or too serious (ie White's).

Brian SD

Reaction score
The crepe soul and thick, contrast stitching is exactly why I don't like Red Wings. Alden Indys are a similar aesthetic, but I prefer their sleek look. Obviously it comes at a price, but it's worth it to me. What Junya jacket did you get? There's a red Attachment jacket in goretex that I'm gonna pick up when the weather demands it and I wanna pair that with some Indys or similar Aldens. Probably http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...e-flex-boot-i/ <--- those or http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...back-in-stock/ <--- those.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Leather Soul's Alden collection makes me orgasm whenever I peruse through their blog. I wish I knew earlier about all of their sold out Indy models.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I mainly wear these with some really faded APCs rolled up to the top of the boots and a slim APC oxford shirt, but that has been my go-to recently. I am gonna add in a shearling collared brown TOJ A2 Bomber and that will be my Fall 09 concept.
This sounds like a perfect way to wear them. I really like the look of the crepe sole, but I didn't start liking them until after seeing a bunch of ppl in tokyo pull them off in a non-workwear related context. Plus I think they look great worn in. The moderate clunky-ness is also something I enjoy in certain outfits, as opposed to the more sleek, refined look of Alden Indy's (which work great in other ways).

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The crepe soul and thick, contrast stitching is exactly why I don't like Red Wings. Alden Indys are a similar aesthetic, but I prefer their sleek look. Obviously it comes at a price, but it's worth it to me. What Junya jacket did you get? There's a red Attachment jacket in goretex that I'm gonna pick up when the weather demands it and I wanna pair that with some Indys or similar Aldens. Probably http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...e-flex-boot-i/ <--- those or http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...back-in-stock/ <--- those.
The tumbled lady calf flex welt boots have my eye too. I want to buy into indy's but it just doesn't go with anything I own.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** Filson. No one wants to see 40 shots of your latest Cabela's purchase.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

+1 I just don't see the appeal of bags so ordinary looking.

I need more prorsum and dior. I love their knitwear and coats.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

I would be more interested in a well-integrated Cabela's piece or two than another Filson 256.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The crepe soul and thick, contrast stitching is exactly why I don't like Red Wings. Alden Indys are a similar aesthetic, but I prefer their sleek look. Obviously it comes at a price, but it's worth it to me.

What Junya jacket did you get?

There's a red Attachment jacket in goretex that I'm gonna pick up when the weather demands it and I wanna pair that with some Indys or similar Aldens. Probably http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...e-flex-boot-i/ <--- those or http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...back-in-stock/ <--- those.

Rei got me one of those hooded reversible blazer/rainjacket things in red/navy. She said she saw Nigo shopping alone in 10CC Aoyama when she was in there buying it, haha.

I like all of the nice cordovan Aldens and even some of the cowhide models (mainly those suede longwings, shiiiitttttt), except the Indy. It's not for people our age. If I posted a fit with my RW's, Superbobo would go apeshit and call me a hipster because they look boxfresh, but yeah I just think the crepe soles are cute and I am gonna keep referencing the slim straight pant+huge stacked sole shoe silhouette, whether that's Jil on Jil, or jeans on RW's, because I'm 5'9.
redface.gif
Thinking about picking up the pull-on RW pecos boots in butter suede as well now.... I want the Junya Tricker's boots but I have other things to pay for these days...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Some recent annoyances:

-bobo acting childish and talking smack on all things not his steez (well actually for some time)
-other annoying members (not xeno this time) who continue to be garbage
-socal using this forum as his little playground talking smack on sz, really now grow up, be the better man and move on already you don't need to document every bit of gossip like a female
-still don't get the love for workwear, rw, and filson

erbs

Reaction score
I like all of the nice cordovan Aldens and even some of the cowhide models (mainly those suede longwings, shiiiitttttt), except the Indy. It's not for people our age.
This relates to something I've been thinking about lately: how to dress youthfully without looking like a bro, a hypebeast, or a fashion victim. I've been wearing heritage stuff the last few years, but I finally came to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense to dress like an old man when I'm in my 20s. Thoughts? impolyt?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, if you're fit, (even if not I guess) wear clothes that fit you well and highlight that, because chances are, it's not gonna be that way forever... and to 'fitting well' -I think contrary to popular belief around here, perfectly fitted clothing does not always make the best look (sup Eason), and if you're slimmer to skinnier, you can play around with more silhouette-wise and look far more stylish. If you can make drop shoulders and oversized tops look good, then in my opinion, that is fitting well, too.

Theoretically, one can wear edgier stuff like motorcycle jackets and coated skinny jeans when you're 50, but honestly, we're not all models and we'll probably look stupid if we do (sup sonicvoodoo) so I've trying to enjoy as much of it as possible. You don't have to look like a teenager (ie you should probably pony up a little more for your clothes) but full-on denim assault workwear, the trad stuff and the tendency of some people around here to want to throw a necktie into anything possible and not possible, and then the the stuff that goes into this forum but really belongs in MC (though the MC guys may not always agree with that)... I think those looks are more contrived than looking a little more fashioned out than the average sod.

It's really heartbreaking for me to see guys who still haven't even graduated from college basically wearing business casual, neckties on the premise that 'getting dressed up' is the same as 'stylish' or 'fashionable' because I feel like they're gonna waste away the next 20 years of their life where they could actually wear cool clothes, on years of wearing cubicle wear and 'lifestyle' pictures of their coffee and salad.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
wearing business casual, neckties on the premise that 'getting dressed up' is the same as 'stylish' or 'fashionable' .

Not even on this forum but this is what most people who don't care about clothes/fashion/style think. That's why you see so many people throwing a blazer over a tee or a tie with a random outfit as their attempt to be "stylish"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads