• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying and Selling forum vs Ebay

incastoutcast

Reaction score
So, I just splurged on some Jeans in the B&S forum, for more than I'd pay for the same jeans on eBay, and I was thinking to myself, I wonder if I'm the only one who does this. Because of bad experiences on feebay, I'll pay about %20 more for the same item in B&S than I would in that den of thieves.

What about you? How much more will you pay for something on B&S than you would on eBay?

MatthewN

Reaction score
I think I'm the same way. When I shop on ebay, I expect to be getting a fantastic deal, and if I can't, I won't buy. When I shop here, I expect to get a fair deal.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&S is a screwed system. Of course you're going to pay more.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny part about this thread is that as a part-time seller, I would sell for less on the B&S than I think an item will bring on eBay. Fees aside, I would much rather deal with someone from the B&S than a random person from eBay.

Inevitably, some items just don't generate any interest here, and I am forced to deal with the con-artist known as eBay.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR

What do you mean? In what sense is B&S more screwed than, say, eBay?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
The funny part about this thread is that as a part-time seller, I would sell for less on the B&S than I think an item will bring on eBay. Fees aside, I would much rather deal with someone from the B&S than a random person from eBay. Inevitably, some items just don't generate any interest here, and I am forced to deal with the con-artist known as eBay.
agreed with this. the quality of the buyer is so much higher here that i would take less money to complete the transaction here. yes, there are still time wasters and flakers, but there is not the outright stupidity or fraud that i've come to expect on ebay (at least not yet)

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MatthewN
I think I'm the same way. When I shop on ebay, I expect to be getting a fantastic deal, and if I can't, I won't buy. When I shop here, I expect to get a fair deal.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I too will pay a premium, though it's hard to put a specific figure on it. Partly because it's not all that often I see the exact same item in both locations.

+1 to both of these. This is my approach as well. I would rather buy here for a bit more, but I couldn't say exactly how much more.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

? The system of a seller buying goods at low prices and selling for a higher price on B&S for profit? The market dictates the price. The proof is in how many "price drops" you see for items a seller can't move.

I'm curious as to what makes the B&S system screwed.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screwed because prices start high as sellers know that the only way to stay on the top page is to drop the price (or have a pal post "wish it was my size, I'd buy it!"). You can only last on the top page for an hour some days. Many buyers don't go deeper into the pages. So it is an artificially high price to begin with, then people lose interest, or can't find what they saw earlier, too much text, etc. Too complicated for sellers and buyers.

Cheaper for sellers than ebay, and none of the ebay paypal bullshit, but a different kind of a market.
And I like it, but it is screwed.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I'll pay more here than I'd pay on eBay (with a few exceptions of certain sellers on eBay I know and trust), because I trust SFers to know more of the quality of what they're selling and I know they'll most likely have taken much better care of anything used than anything used on eBay.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
agreed with this. the quality of the buyer is so much higher here that i would take less money to complete the transaction here. yes, there are still time wasters and flakers, but there is not the outright stupidity or fraud that i've come to expect on ebay (at least not yet)

+1
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have sold here almost 100 times and I have had no problem with buyers.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screwed because prices start high as sellers know that the only way to stay on the top page is to drop the price (or have a pal post "wish it was my size, I'd buy it!"). You can only last on the top page for an hour some days. Many buyers don't go deeper into the pages. So it is an artificially high price to begin with, then people lose interest, or can't find what they saw earlier, too much text, etc. Too complicated for sellers and buyers.

I see what you're saying about prices starting high but so what? I think having the standard rule of bumping due to price drops is a phenomenal concept, since it favors the buyer in the long run. A smart buyer WILL look deep into those pages or just run a search in B&S. I've gotten pms for stuff that I sold 8 weeks ago!

I see nothing screwed about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics