• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

late 90s interior design

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
No mention of vintage pasta and liquor posters?

Pates%20Baroni.JPG

I-36054.jpg

40264.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bingo on the posters.

It's really too bad because I actually like some of them. I have a bottle of Martini & Rossi bianco vermouth sitting in the fridge (about to be replaced by Dolin Blanc). It really galls me to see people with posters like that and Campari but have no idea what they are, much less even tasted them.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Obviously none of you live in the south, where teh devotion to teh Bible and "family values" have met the McMansion crowd, giving you... (drumroll please)...

THOMAS KINKAID! And I don't mean those cheap calendars. No, no, I mean many-thousands-of-dollars prints and originals, hanging there in the formal dining area of the McMansion.

Ugh... shudder.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, the painter of light! There are kinkaid galleries (stores).

I painted a lot of nice houses in the late 90s and everyone wanted to ditch the wallpaper and get bone white walls and cloud white ceilings. Very neutral. Dark hardwoods. Overstuffed furniture. Moved a lot of sleigh beds.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Ah, the painter of light! There are kinkaid galleries (stores).

I painted a lot of nice houses in the late 90s and everyone wanted to ditch the wallpaper and get bone white walls and cloud white ceilings. Very neutral. Dark hardwoods. Overstuffed furniture. Moved a lot of sleigh beds.

I can't stand the colours chosen for the McMansions -- I call it the "espresso palette" -- from dark mocha brown to cappuccino beige ....and not to forget the ubiquitous soft gray colour that seems to spread across suburbia like a virus.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the "I have never been to Tuscany, but I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like so I'm going to decorate my home like it"

corner1.jpg

HillsOfTuscany490.jpg

arsl03_wright.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is faux-Tuscan actually on the decline? I thought it would never leave.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think they're getting a bit more clever. Instead of decaying brick patterned 1 mm wallpaper they use screw in brick boards that are made of 3d plastic and then slosh some stucco over it. It's very Sprezzatura.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Is faux-Tuscan actually on the decline? I thought it would never leave.

I have a feeling that there will always be Italian-Americans who are impossibly removed from anything actually Italian that will still insist on this look. And accordingly there will always be "In Vino Veritas" antiqued wall decorations available for $10 at TJ Maxx/Marshalls. Perfect for those days when an "authentic" Chicken Parm is hot from the oven.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, I would like more breadsticks, please, for my never-ending bowl of salad.

this is a fine restaurant, please cover up your "la bella vita" tattoo (of which I have seen numerous times on Mulberry St ... and each time my Italian-speaking GF comments on its relatively negative actual translation)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Bingo on the posters. It's really too bad because I actually like some of them. I have a bottle of Martini & Rossi bianco vermouth sitting in the fridge (about to be replaced by Dolin Blanc). It really galls me to see people with posters like that and Campari but have no idea what they are, much less even tasted them.
Try Vya vermouth if you can. BTW I just (today!!!) managed to find a bottle of real Campari. Though I covet it, it will be a gift to a friend of mine who loves it more than I. ~ H

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the art itself or the pretentious titles are worse. "Fallacy of Reason"
8661.jpg
"Whispers of Silence"
AB50943.jpg
"Construct of Temptation"
BN5171.jpg
"Adagio in Rouge"
8328.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads