• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a polyester/rayon suit a bad idea?

bsinge50

Reaction score
I am having a hell of a time finding a suit that fits. I'm pretty slim, and for some reason, every pant, even in separates is built like Hammer pants. Plus, they are all pleated, which doesn't help.

But, I found a good shaped suit, with slimmer pants at Target that fits really well, and the whole thing was $85. I've read on here good things about Target suits, but this one is 65% polyester and 35% rayon. As far as I can tell, it doesn't look much different than the $200-$299 suits at Mens Wearhouse, but I'm not really an expert. But, the main thing is it actually fits me.

I'm only wearing this through interview season here (I'm in grad school), which is fall and winter in Pennsylvania, so I'm not too worried about heat.

I can't notice anything, but do you think this kind of suit will be noticeable in an interview? Given the store options around here--Mens Wearhouse is as good as it gets--I'd rather go for a decent fit than material.

Thanks for any help on this, I appreciate it.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Is it shiny? I've seen some of the suits at target, and they aren't bad considering how extremely cheap they are, but some of them are shiny. Shiny suits are generally frowned upon for interviews.

Check discount stores if you have them as well. TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, Burlington coat factory, etc. BCF especially gets decent suits from time to time, greatly discounted.

Another thing I would do is to go somewhere and get properly fitted for a suit, if you haven't before. Alot of people think they know how a suit is supposed to fit, only to wear ill fitting suits their whole life. Once you know how one is supposed to fit, that will give you a better idea if the target suit is really a good deal.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will probably find it is a bad idea. Cheap synthetics tend to be very sweaty without actually keeping you warm when it is cold, and they tend not to look good for very long.
I have never owned a wholy synthetic suit, but a suit I had that was a synthetic/wool blend and it looked pretty bad after a few wearing, was a real sweat box and made odd rustling noises.

If its only for one interview I guess it would pass muster, but I would think you would be better of spending a bit more for something a little better. Surely you can travel somewhere with more options and get yourself a suit that will be good for more than one interview?
Seems like if you only own one suit (me too at the moment, also mostly for interviews) it is worth spending the time, and a bit more money to get it right.

bsinge50

Reaction score
I would drive somewhere, but the closest place is around 3 hours away, and I need the suit starting Friday. I'm pretty confident in the fit, especially after trying almost every 38R and 39R at every department store and Mens Wearhouse in town. Also, I've been hanging around here for a while.

It doesn't really appear shiny to me, and my only other option is a suit another Mens Wearhouse sold me when I didn't really know what I was doing. It is several inches too big on each shoulder, and not altered correctly at all. It looks like I'm wearing my dad's suit.

I'll probably have to stick with this one, I will be in Columbus in a few weeks, I'll look around there (filene's, better department stores). I think they have a Jos A Bank, but I'm not sure. I guess it's only $85, like $100 with minor alterations, so I'll get by until then.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by the shop's web site you linked to, they also do wool suits in the same range. Presumably these would have the same fit and the price difference is quite small - couldn't you get one of those?

Having said that, if this really is the only option that fits properly - fit trumps all other considerations IMO.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if your planning on making a trip back to the late 70's otherwise yes, a very bad idea.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, a blend may look great off the rack, or even after a couple of wearings, but inside of a year, it will start to wear like crap. The fibers won't respond well to drycleaning, it won't drape naturally, it'll start to pill slightly and/or shine, etc. That said, if you need a well-fitting suit and time is of the essence, fine. Just don't expect to get more than a few months to a year of good use out of it. At that price, it might be worth buying two and sending the second off to a Hong Kong tailor to copy in a decent wool.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
In my experience, a blend may look great off the rack, or even after a couple of wearings, but inside of a year, it will start to wear like crap. The fibers won't respond well to drycleaning, it won't drape naturally, it'll start to pill slightly and/or shine, etc. That said, if you need a well-fitting suit and time is of the essence, fine. Just don't expect to get more than a few months to a year of good use out of it.
+1 You'll be ok for the occasional wearing. I had 2 Poly suits that were fine for 5 years, based on 4 wearings per year. After that, they spiraled downward fast with the afore-mentioned symptoms. When the suit starts to get that 'fluffy' look, you could take a disposabe razor and gently, very gently work over the area to restore a crisp look for a few last wearings. A Poly suit only fulfills a very occasional and temporary need.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Ah thanks for the replies everyone. I will probably return this one, I guess. I'm looking at Lands' End's tailored fit suits in charcoal. They seem like a decent deal, I can get one for USD 190, 100% wool (90s merino is what it says), and the fit is good, I think.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/TailoredF...5&origin=index

If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all.

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50

I can't notice anything, but do you think this kind of suit will be noticeable in an interview? Given the store options around here--Mens Wearhouse is as good as it gets--I'd rather go for a decent fit than material.

Thanks for any help on this, I appreciate it.

The only problem, to me, is a Polyester suit wearer always looks to me like they are only wearing the suit because they have to wear a suit, so bought the cheapest.

If you need it for just one or 2 interviews it will possibly be fine, but it actually becomes an expensive suit if you only wear it a few times - and the fact you are posting here suggests you actually want to look good.

Look around for an entry level 100% wool suit and if the fit is not perfect go to an alterations tailor. It will be a much better investment in the long term.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialexecutive
The only problem, to me, is a Polyester suit wearer always looks to me like they are only wearing the suit because they have to wear a suit, so bought the cheapest.
If you need it for just one or 2 interviews it will possibly be fine, but it actually becomes an expensive suit if you only wear it a few times - and the fact you are posting here suggests you actually want to look good.

Look around for an entry level 100% wool suit and if the fit is not perfect go to an alterations tailor. It will be a much better investment in the long term.

you may be right but i kind of disagree. i think what makes one look like they 'have to wear a suit so they bought the cheapest' is through the fit. if the suit looks cleanly tailored and fits you the very flatteringly then most visually you won't even notice the fabric is polyester. unless up way close.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you may be right but i kind of disagree. i think what makes one look like they 'have to wear a suit so they bought the cheapest' is through the fit. if the suit looks cleanly tailored and fits you the very flatteringly then most visually you won't even notice the fabric is polyester. unless up way close.

They will, however, notice the visible sweat.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
They will, however, notice the visible sweat.

yeah. that is what typified tailored wear in the 70s. bell bottoms and really dark sweat circles under arm. that was a motif you had to have back then.
if they had styleforum back then, they would be writing, "just got my new polyester suit, how do i get that luscious, patinaed, sweat circle permanently on the armpits?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads