• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've decided that skimping on basics because no one else can tell the difference anyway is the ultimate in what Kiya likes to refer to as peasant status. Mixing and matching applied to all parts of your wardrobe is one thing, but wearing bunch of cheap basics and then flossing with a couple of expensive, high visibility pieces is pretty lame, imo. Basics are the one thing that you really do for yourself, fashionwise. Unless you are close up and personal, no one is going to be able to tell the subtlety in the fabric, construction, wash. Of course, everyone is going to be able to tell that you are wearing a Rick Owens leather, or whatever.

Second pet peeve: taking care to keep your everyday clothes in good condition is the opposite of cool. You should do that for suits and shoes that you may wear to a wedding or a funeral. Everything else should be unsellable after about a week of wear. They are clothes. They don't deserve to be revered.

I am going to do yardwork later today in a Rag&Bone MIJ sweatshirt (super comfy), 5EP jeans, a KMW belt, and Common Projects.

on the other hand, I am a broke ass peasant student who is saving up for a pair of nice pair of raw denim and my nicest button-down is from banana republic. i do yardwork in old levis and sneakers - who the **** cares what you look like when you're mowing the lawn?

im not saying baby everything - but wearing 1000$ worth of clothes to do yardwork just because you don't want to be a peasant and the idea that clothes "should be unsellable after a week of wear" is pretty silly. if you can afford to, great, otherwise, ******** on people because they're not "cool" for taking good care of a $300 pair of jeans is ridiculous.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
on the other hand, I am a broke ass peasant student who is saving up for a pair of nice pair of raw denim and my nicest button-down is from banana republic. i do yardwork in old levis and sneakers - who the **** cares what you look like when you're mowing the lawn? im not saying baby everything - but wearing 1000$ worth of clothes to do yardwork just because you don't want to be a peasant and the idea that clothes "should be unsellable after a week of wear" is pretty silly. if you can afford to, great, otherwise, ******** on people because they're not "cool" for taking good care of a $300 pair of jeans is ridiculous.
Peasant is a state of mind, not a function of your financial situation. I had the same attitude when I was a broke ass student as I do now. I would save up for things, just like I am sure that you do. But I have never differentiated between "going out" and "working" clothes. My point is that clothes are meant to be worn. No one cares what I am wearing when I am mowing the lawn. I'm not deliberately putting on that stuff to do yardwork. It just happens to be what I am wearing right now. If I were wearing my AA thermal henley, then I'd do my weeding in that. I'm not saying to deliberately screw up your stuff. That is stupid too. I'm saying that if you can't live in your clothes, they are not really yours. I've got nothing against cheap basics, not at all. There is a ton of AA stuff in my closest. But I do have something against consciously having "nice clothes", which you baby, and other clothes, which you beat up. Rye, for example, wears the same stuff in his studio (this usually includes an AA tee) as he does when he goes out (I think that he threw on a jacket and a scarf to go to a party his representation was holding.) I really like that.

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Rye, for example, wears the same stuff in his studio (this usually includes an AA tee) as he does when he goes out (I think that he threw on a jacket and a scarf to go to a party his representation was holding.) I really like that.

What ever happened to Rye? Too busy with Kill City to post?

Largo

Reaction score
I'm behind that. I think after about year 2 or so of subscribing to SF buying habits I'd throw together an outfit, mentally put a price tag on it and freak out a bit. By now, the clothes I've gotten and have just have all been lumped together as far as what I wear, rather than an association with what they're 'appropriate' for, or whatever. Frankly, I'm a lot happier this way. I still catch **** from my friends, but that's what they're there for.

Largo

Reaction score
Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure 'yard work' isn't going to make your Wings and Horns spontaneously combust. Or rather, short of really excrutiating circumstances, I don't have to set aside most of my wardrobe.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
LA Guy- I understand the concept of not having to think about "showing off" outfits vs. what you normally would wear in terms of peasant status type stuff, but i think you're taking it a bit far with the doing messy yard/car work in just whatever. I still would do yardwork in basketball shorts/sweatpants and a tshirt i got for free from some crappy promotion on campus

I'm not going to play a few hours of full court pickup or back in undergrad playing flag football or ultimate frisbee intramurals in something i care about. I'm going to get crazy sweat stains, grass stains, sometimes some blood, mud, and stuff like that. Even before i gave a **** about any of my clothes and still to this day, i have a separate drawer of clothes for playing sports and what not in. Usually just a collection of basketball shorts, sweat pants, tshirts i've gotten for free for some reason and some headbands.

I don't care if it's all RO, r&b, raf, whatever, i'm not going to lounge around my apartment in anything but boxers and an old loose fitting tshirt (i have a few from 10 years ago i sleep in). I still think people are crazy for just relaxing in their house in jeans, shoes, and a button up who say "no, i'm comfortable in this". Don't know what's more comfortable for laying in a recliner or on a couch than boxers and an old tshirt.

I do wear my **** to whatever house party/bar. When i lived in gainesville and would go to ****** house parties or to this craphole bar for a beerpong tourney i'd still wear whatever i felt like including some cdg, margiela, boo, ndc, whatever

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
You guys need to understand Fok's idea of yard work is picking dandelions and turning on the sprinklers.

Also, during the day clothes lack the formality of going out clothes so I am not going to stroll around in my raf laceups and lanvin blazer during the day when it's 90 outside.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Also, people who do yardwork for a part/full time job have specific clothes usually.

People need to buy super expensive selvage overalls and distressed margiela gloves so they can truly go pull weeds, mulch, re-sod, mow, and plant in style without fear of being a peasant. I've seen vintage selvage overalls on ebay before. It can be done

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
LA Guy- I understand the concept of not having to think about "showing off" outfits vs. what you normally would wear in terms of peasant status type stuff, but i think you're taking it a bit far with the doing messy yard/car work in just whatever. I still would do yardwork in basketball shorts/sweatpants and a tshirt i got for free from some crappy promotion on campus

I'm not going to play a few hours of full court pickup or back in undergrad playing flag football or ultimate frisbee intramurals in something i care about. I'm going to get crazy sweat stains, grass stains, sometimes some blood, mud, and stuff like that. Even before i gave a **** about any of my clothes and still to this day, i have a separate drawer of clothes for playing sports and what not in. Usually just a collection of basketball shorts, sweat pants, tshirts i've gotten for free for some reason and some headbands.

I don't care if it's all RO, r&b, raf, whatever, i'm not going to lounge around my apartment in anything but boxers and an old loose fitting tshirt (i have a few from 10 years ago i sleep in). I still think people are crazy for just relaxing in their house in jeans, shoes, and a button up who say "no, i'm comfortable in this". Don't know what's more comfortable for laying in a recliner or on a couch than boxers and an old tshirt.

I have a German Shepherd (they shed like ******* crazy), and I live in a condo. If I wear anything but jeans, shoes, and a shirt then I'm covered head to toe in dog hair.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads