• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I suggest you try the CdR in the Pure Parfum concentration. It is really impressive. Today - Parfum DelRae's Debut.
And where do you locate this mythical wonderjuice? The Chanel boutiques down here only have the standard versions of all the scents.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
And where do you locate this mythical wonderjuice? The Chanel boutiques down here only have the standard versions of all the scents.

Don't know where "down here" is, but the Chanel store in NY carries it and will order it for you if they don't have it (they did that for me).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Don't know where "down here" is, but the Chanel store in NY carries it and will order it for you if they don't have it (they did that for me).
South Florida. I'll ask next time I'm in the mall and see if they can snag some for me. Neither the store nor the boutique inside Saks have anything other than the originals. How would you say the EdP improves on the original.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
South Florida. I'll ask next time I'm in the mall and see if they can snag some for me. Neither the store nor the boutique inside Saks have anything other than the originals. How would you say the EdP improves on the original.

Dopey's referring to the full on, pure parfum. It's the take-no prisoners version. (haha) I'll let him speak to the differences/variations.

You can also get the non-parfum concentrations of the Les Exclusifs line (in the massive 200ml bottles) from the Chanel website.

For me, JHL today. I really like this one. Fans of Chanel Pour Monsieur, Guerlain Habit Rouge, and other "gentlemanly" classics would really enjoy this one, I think.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One one wrist: Etro Sandalo, a surprisingly interesting sandalwood. Normally sandalwood makes me bored and sleepy.
On the other: Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant - sharp and flinty incense.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
One one wrist: Etro Sandalo, a surprisingly interesting sandalwood. Normally sandalwood makes me bored and sleepy..

Agreed; this one had a sort of sweet, sugar&cinnamon toast sort of vibe for me (for lack of a better word).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Agreed; this one had a sort of sweet, sugar&cinnamon toast sort of vibe for me (for lack of a better word).

hmmm, both Sandalo and Messe du Minuit seem to have a brown sugar/coconut vibe going on for me. At least for a little while.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Dopey's referring to the full on, pure parfum. It's the take-no prisoners version. (haha) I'll let him speak to the differences/variations. You can also get the non-parfum concentrations of the Les Exclusifs line (in the massive 200ml bottles) from the Chanel website. For me, JHL today. I really like this one. Fans of Chanel Pour Monsieur, Guerlain Habit Rouge, and other "gentlemanly" classics would really enjoy this one, I think.
The Chanel boutiques sell the Les Exclusifs line and those are the ones I'm talking about. I put about 100 samples in the swap box back from when the stores were actually carrying samples. I have never seen them stock the pure parfums though. Did you end up buying both Havana and JHL?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sandalwood/incense fragrances are delicious during winter days.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Recommendations

1. Something "˜green' with a lingering, sweet vanilla heart
2. Something minty

It's up to you now, Thomas.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver today. Got a sample with the JHL and Havana I got at Nordies the other day. Good, but not great. I'm glad the scent EXISTS, because it definitely gives homage to great older vetiver scents, like Guerlain Vetiver. In fact, it reminds me a little TOO much of the Guerlain, though it has more bite and is less smooth. All in all, a pretty full-on vetiver scent, though I don't know if I'd consider it bottle worthy.
It's up to you now, Thomas.
Creed Green Valley. For winter, try LV Piper Nigrum. It's less mint than menthol, and not particularly green. It's a very odd, very nifty scent.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recommendations

1. Something ‘green’ with a lingering, sweet vanilla heart
2. Something minty

Please tell me you're not looking for all of these in one bottle. Well...wait a second.

I'd look at Pasha de Cartier. Pasha, iirc, may still be stocked at Sephora - at least it was the last time I went looking for it. It's a green minty scent, through the vanilla isn't especially prominent. The big reason I've not been blowing Pasha's horn is that I've bought it and lost interest rather quickly, so off it went. This happened twice, but I think I had moved on from fresh fougeres in general.

Today, for me: Guerlain Vetiver. Very green, not minty, and although being a Guerlain you'd expect vanilla...Not this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads