• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
For $20 Elijah Craig is much better than Bulliet.

it's relative. I finished a bottle of EC fairly quickly so I could move on to something else: it was spicier than I prefer. Then I got Bulleit and don't even want to uncork the damn bottle - wish I had the EC back.

Mr T

Reaction score
Definitely not loving Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It will likely end up in whiskey sours once autumn really gets going. Or it might just go down the sink. Glad to have only bought a small bottle.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Definitely not loving Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It will likely end up in whiskey sours once autumn really gets going. Or it might just go down the sink. Glad to have only bought a small bottle.

Whoa, something's wrong here. I think WT Rare Breed is a very good whiskey, but it's uncut, so you may want to take some of the heat down with ice or some spring water. What didn't you like about it? I bought it not expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised.

One of my favorite whiskeys these days is the Hudson. I started with the Four Grain, which was good, and went to the Baby Bourbon (just tonight actually) and its fantastic stuff. Only available in 375 ml bottles so at least if you find you don't like it, you don't have to look at it for long..

Mr T

Reaction score
Well, I admit to having an unsophisticated palate. However, the Rare Breed just tasted like ethyl to me - and that is after cutting with filtered water (don't like ice). Knob Creek has that ethyl taste too but it was very easy to drink. Maybe I will come back to the Rare Breed later for another try.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
knocking back a bit of Buffalo Trace while I run ethernet cable through the house.

tdangio

Reaction score
Old Crow and Coke...anyone? For some reason I actually don't mind the stuff, but I still have yet to figure out the reason.

cab

Reaction score
I enjoy Elmer T. Lee. Also, it is a wonderful value.

cadillac37

Reaction score
I have a question for the bourbon afficionados on this board. I really enjoy the "antique" Weller that is 107 proof. In my local liquor store there is also a bottle of Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. It is roughly twice the price of the Weller. How does the Van Winkle compare to the Weller? They are both from the same company and come in similiar bottles with the same characteristics (wheated bourbon at the same proof), so I'm hesitant to shell out extra money before I know that it is worth it. I've had the 20 yr Van Winkle and it is obviously outstanding, but I've never tried the other offerings. Anyone had both that can weigh in?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37
I have a question for the bourbon afficionados on this board. I really enjoy the "antique" Weller that is 107 proof. In my local liquor store there is also a bottle of Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. It is roughly twice the price of the Weller. How does the Van Winkle compare to the Weller? They are both from the same company and come in similiar bottles with the same characteristics (wheated bourbon at the same proof), so I'm hesitant to shell out extra money before I know that it is worth it. I've had the 20 yr Van Winkle and it is obviously outstanding, but I've never tried the other offerings. Anyone had both that can weigh in?

Never had the Weller or the 10 year old Van Winkle,

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37

i have not tried the weller, but the van winkle 10 is very good.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Weller is sweeter in my opinion. I think its a better value too.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
Old Crow and Coke...anyone? For some reason I actually don't mind the stuff, but I still have yet to figure out the reason.
I've never had OC but I'm sure it's fine for mixing.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got some of this and have been enjoying it:
IMG_1770.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of cask strength Parker Heritage collection the other day. Any good?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Picked up a bottle of cask strength Parker Heritage collection the other day. Any good?

Which ABV? There are three, I had all them at a tasting back to back to back. The 61 and 63 are great, the 64 seems very hot. The 63 was my favorite and the one I brought home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads