• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

late 90s interior design

summej2

Reaction score
A decade later, what things would you say characterize interior design from the late 1990s and early 2000s (roughly 1998-2002)? My first thoughts were 1) all things by Citterio and 2) the use of now ubiquitous midcentury pieces like Eames as showpieces. What else?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll always associate this era with that ubiquotous "HGTV look." You know, bold (and bad) paint colors, Pottery Barn and Target furniture, stainless appliances (not bad in themselves,) dark kitchen cabinetry and granite countertops.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I'll always associate this era with that ubiquotous "HGTV look." You know, bold (and bad) paint colors, Pottery Barn and Target furniture, stainless appliances (not bad in themselves,) dark kitchen cabinetry and granite countertops.

Yes, the McMansion look.

interior-design.jpg

interior%20design%20pic1.jpg

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
All the Oriental rugs make me wonder if a SFer lives there. I can almost see the shoes.

Lots of white and dark brown -- white Barcelona chairs, dark wood tables (wengÃ
00a9.png
or stained oak)

Also, organic shapes became popular. *Wallpaper magazine on every coffee table. B&B Italia Charles Sofa -- or anything with similar style feet.

Long and low sofas (Alfa from Zanotta) and consoles -- with ethnic and mid-20th century object d'art.

Arne Jacobsen 3107 chairs -- Pierre Paulin chairs -- and Vitra miniatures.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the mid -century modern furniture is going to go away any time soon.
But there are some oversized, overstuffed horrible sofas that seemed to find their way into alot of homes.
The "finer" models had a console with cup holders for your big gulp.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yes, the McMansion look.
interior%20design%20pic1.jpg

Apart from the Polynesian artifact, I rather like this. Is there some reason it is lame?

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Lots of white and dark brown -- white Barcelona chairs, dark wood tables (wengÃ
00a9.png
or stained oak)

Also, organic shapes became popular. *Wallpaper magazine on every coffee table. B&B Italia Charles Sofa -- or anything with similar style feet.

Long and low sofas (Alfa from Zanotta) and consoles -- with ethnic and mid-20th century object d'art.

Arne Jacobsen 3107 chairs -- Pierre Paulin chairs -- and Vitra miniatures.

That's exactly what I associate with the period: an over-edited version of MCM mixed with low and long Italian pieces.

I'd forgotten about the whole rise of the McMansion look, but I'm sure it's just trauma.

One of the houses we just passed on was a huge late 80s modern design retrofitted during the boom with all of the McMansion trappings (including a grand staircase)---one of the most incongruous and shameful attempts at remodeling that I've ever seen.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Apart from the Polynesian artifact, I rather like this. Is there some reason it is lame?
It's nice and there's nothing wrong with it all. It's just that it's generic in design, and I would guess that most new homes built in the US over the last two decades would be similar.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huntsman, it's awful. I don't really speak in the language of architecture/design, my take is that the individual design elements are lame on their own, and looking at the picture as whole, it's an incohesive hodgepodge. There's no thought put into the design.

-There are columns and an arch in the entry to the dining room!
-Wall color is bad and the contrasting crown molding looks ridiculous.
-I dont think crown molding belongs on any ceiling lower than 9 feet, but that's a personal quirk.
-The shape of the balcony, what is that?
-That triangular skylight makes no sense above the rounded staircase and balcony.
-Stairs are in a bad spot in the floorplan. I know they're trying to create a 'grand staircase' look, but that's just not working with a 4 foot wide staircase.
-The lighting fixtures are bad. The curtains are bad. The picture framing is bad. The rugs are bad.

It's just the prototypical McMansion.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Huntsman, it's awful.
In pretty much every thread on interior design here there is at least one post from you from saying how much you dislike whatever is being discussed. Can you please post some pictures of things you actually like? I do agree with all you listed above, but I'm really curious at this point what example you would give of a really well designed interior.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The crown molding is too shiny and too big for an 8' ceiling. It looks to be made of MDF instead of real wood. The worst part is the mix and match of "custom" elements. Not only does it inadvertently show the lack of modern-day craftsmanship, it is just too much and doesn't really make sense. The lack of craftsmanship just really makes it look cheap. I mean a triangle? really??? I'm not sure how I feel about colored walls with white ceilings either. There is a bit too much two tone going on with that dark green on the wall, that makes it look contrived. I do like the rugs, floor and light splashed walls though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads