• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - Tabac Original, EdT which I understand is quite different from the EdC. The shaving soap is not far from Old Spice, while Tabac Original is a precursor of Kouros, or Lauder for Men.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guerlain Coriolan. I really like this in warm weather.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Estee Lauder Azuree. Considerably easier-wearing when I spray this into the air and walk through it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The original CK Obsession today. Haven't worn this one in years and years and years, but it is really a very nice scent. The ubiquity of it in the 80's and stuff sort of wore out its welcome... but after 10+ years, it is nice to go back and sniff it again with a new "nose." Overall, it's a very well done scent... soft, dry, yet spicey, with a hint of warmth and that comes through nicely on the dry-down. It's infinitely more interesting than the mass-market, bland, sporty detergent "fresh" garbage everybody puts out today.
frown.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was thrilled to find that they re-released HAVANA and JHL in 100ml bottles. Formulas, to my nose, smell as they used to. Havana is a great, spicey, deep tobacco wonderland and JHL is one of the great "gentleman" scents. Apparently Estee lauder developed it for her husband. In any case, $48.00 retail for 100 ml bottles isn't such a bad price. Definitely bottle-worthy, IMHO, if you want classics with character and punch. Links to a place to purchase: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=0022548199206

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Today, giving A*Men another try... now I feel like eating chocolate :-(
P9866_hero.jpg

How many sprays? I feel like I can't do more than one. And I really don't think it works in warm weather. I still can't decide whether I like it or not.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Was thrilled to find that they re-released HAVANA and JHL in 100ml bottles. Formulas, to my nose, smell as they used to. Havana is a great, spicey, deep tobacco wonderland and JHL is one of the great "gentleman" scents. Apparently Estee lauder developed it for her husband. In any case, $48.00 retail for 100 ml bottles isn't such a bad price. Definitely bottle-worthy, IMHO, if you want classics with character and punch. Links to a place to purchase: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=0022548199206
Finally! $48 for a 3.4oz is a steal as these used to go upwards of $75 on the Basenotes boards. Has anybody found the bottles at a local Saks? I'd be interested in trying the rest of the re-released line as well. Rach - do you know if *********** with the formula or is it the same as the original?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Finally! $48 for a 3.4oz is a steal as these used to go upwards of $75 on the Basenotes boards. Has anybody found the bottles at a local Saks? I'd be interested in trying the rest of the re-released line as well. Rach - do you know if *********** with the formula or is it the same as the original?

Havana and JHL are the same, AFAIK. They didn't "update" it at all, though it is possible that if they had Oakmoss in the basenotes, they may have changed that particular note (since it is now illegal to use).

Nevertheless, they are definitely not "modernized;" Havana is still very pungent, very strong, and JHL still has that soft, classic feel.

I found the whole range at my local Nordstroms, btw...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great news on Havana, though it's too bad they didn't use the original blue cylindrical bottle. My 50 ml bottle is half gone and I probably don't wear it as often as I'd like because I wasn't sure I'd be able to replace it. I have a decant of JHL and I've never liked it much, though I've suspected it might be an old and ill preserved example. I'll try to smell that one at a store.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Recommendations

1. Something "˜green' with a lingering, sweet vanilla heart
2. Something minty

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today, to commemorate the first day of fall, AND an incoming cool front (OMG, only 85 today, bring a sweater!), wearing Chanel Cuir de Russie which is slowly winning me over after a bad first impression.

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
CdR was odd, Knize Ten is the closest thing I've smelled to it, and Knize has way more powdery floral notes, where CdR is more straight floral.

My condolenses living in TX where I can't imagine wearing half the stuff I like.

I'm trying Bond no. 9 HOT Always today. I still don't get why Bond costs so much.

Originally Posted by Thomas
They are quite similar, though the Knize is definitely the one with the adam's apple and the stubble on its cheeks. Just as an experiment, I found that if I spray it onto skin, it became a Godzilla Floral, but when I spray into air and then wave my arm through it, the Knize is less floral, more spicy-leather. Better-balanced, definitely.

By lunchtime CdR had become a close-quartered nice skin scent. Smelled really nice, though.

I suggest you try the CdR in the Pure Parfum concentration. It is really impressive.

Today - Parfum DelRae's Debut.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks dopey, I'll look into it. Also glad Havana is not reformulated, I've been meaning to try it. I hate when I want to try an old classic, and everyone says it been reformulated for the worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads