• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Boddington

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I cant vouch for their quality but the frame is basically the clubmaster look. Personally, I think there are too many rivets. I would rather have just a simple rivet and the rest black, or just plain black with no rivets. IMO, it has too many things going on. I would rather see it plain. Just my opinion though.

Who sells a basic clubmaster?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boddington
Who sells a basic clubmaster?

Other than the original Raybans, I only know of Tommy Hilfiger. There are other brands that make variations of it, that I cant recall right now...

nanny

Reaction score
Hi itsjustadrian,

I bought a pair of Salt Vance sunglasses for my husband a couple of weeks ago at an awesome optic shop in south Orange County in Lake Forest called Eye Styles for Lifestyles. I would totally recommend them as they knew exactly what I wanted and even drove to another Salt Optic store (maybe the headquarters in Costa Mesa) for the glasses in black.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi CC I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of Mykita:

http://www.contactsandspecs.com/mykita000163000048.html

My RX is the following:

Sphere Cyclinder Axis
OD -6.50 -0.50 163
PS - 6.00 -0.50 160

These frames are made out of very thin sheets of metals. Will it look really bad if I go /w them /w my high RX? I was planning to get Nikon 1.67. I heard 1.74 doesn't do anything for my RX. Is there anythig I can tell them to do to minimize how the thickness of the lense? Or is my RX too high and the lense is too thin? Please advise. Thanks

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am not CC, and i have no intention to usurp his authority here, although i know that there is no real need to go higher index than necessary. It's just really wasteful since the thickness is very marginal but the cost is so much higher, not to mention that the abbe value is inversely related to the refractive index. Better to ask for aspheric lens

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
i am not CC, and i have no intention to usurp his authority here, although i know that there is no real need to go higher index than necessary. It's just really wasteful since the thickness is very marginal but the cost is so much higher, not to mention that the abbe value is inversely related to the refractive index. Better to ask for aspheric lens

Oh Yeah I'm not going to go any higher then 1.67. I totally agreed. What is aspheric lens? Are they a brand? Please elaberate.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aspheric lens is a term used to describe lenses that are flatter for a given index. The side or edges are much thinner than regular lens, giving a better appearance.

If u are taking mykitas, u should check with a physical store the lens option for your condition. Certain frames that are curved as some modern frames are, may be difficult to fit for diopters above -5.00, cause problems to the wearer or lenses may be ruined by an inexperience lab.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
Hi CC I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of Mykita:

http://www.contactsandspecs.com/mykita000163000048.html

My RX is the following:

Sphere Cyclinder Axis
OD -6.50 -0.50 163
PS - 6.00 -0.50 160

These frames are made out of very thin sheets of metals. Will it look really bad if I go /w them /w my high RX? I was planning to get Nikon 1.67. I heard 1.74 doesn't do anything for my RX. Is there anythig I can tell them to do to minimize how the thickness of the lense? Or is my RX too high and the lense is too thin? Please advise. Thanks

I dont know what size the frame in comparison to the size of your PD ( distance between your eyes). So...I dont know how much the lenses will be decentered. In terms of going with 1.67 or 1.74, for your RX I would suggest 1.67. The 1.74 will be but probably not by all that much. If you are very concerned about edge thickness go for 1.74, if not, just save the buck and go with a 1.67

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
aspheric lens is a term used to describe lenses that are flatter for a given index. The side or edges are much thinner than regular lens, giving a better appearance.

If u are taking mykitas, u should check with a physical store the lens option for your condition. Certain frames that are curved as some modern frames are, may be difficult to fit for diopters above -5.00, cause problems to the wearer or lenses may be ruined by an inexperience lab.

Yes, Upnorth is correct. Aspheric lenses will be thinner, lighter, and give you a wider field of view.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So knowing my PD and the lense size will determine how thick the lenses will be. I will most likely go /w 1.67 as many of told me 1.74 does not make a difference and I'm paying a huge price differance. Also what is the difference high index and Aspheric lenses? Is one thinner then the other? So would you advise on getting them or will it just look bad b/c of my RX? Thanks again.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I dont know what size the frame in comparison to the size of your PD ( distance between your eyes). So...I dont know how much the lenses will be decentered. In terms of going with 1.67 or 1.74, for your RX I would suggest 1.67. The 1.74 will be but probably not by all that much. If you are very concerned about edge thickness go for 1.74, if not, just save the buck and go with a 1.67

My PD, got this from an old RX is 63. The size of the Mykita is 52.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So knowing my PD and the lense size will determine how thick the lenses will be. I will most likely go /w 1.67 as many of told me 1.74 does not make a difference and I'm paying a huge price differance. Also what is the difference high index and Aspheric lenses? Is one thinner then the other? So would you advise on getting them or will it just look bad b/c of my RX? Thanks again.

Bump, wondering what is the difference between Asperic Lense and high index 1.67? Which is thinner?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump, wondering what is the difference between Asperic Lense and high index 1.67? Which is thinner?
Aspheric is a DESIGN of lens. So you can get the 1.67 in aspheric. Basically, the lens does not have a consistent curvature on the surface, it is not spherical, hence, aspheric. But this curvature allows you to get a wider field of view, thinner, lighter lens. I would suggest that you get aspheric lenses because the design is just better, in plain english.

Bad_Company

Reaction score
Something that has been bothering me for a very long time is what kind of sunglasses Kenny Hotz wears on Kenny Vs Spenny. Any help would be most appreciated.
I'll post some pictures, don't know if thats okay, but it'll help some people possibly identify them. I can get more photos if needed.

k1.jpg

K2-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads