• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herringbone Sydney - suits now made in China!

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
+1, now can someone take me to the back door of the Shanghai guys that makes suit for Kilgour. I am sure we can find some quality clothe with big discount there.
devil.gif

I tried to find out once and called up Kilgour in London, they told me no can do, it's their mystery tailor...I told them that's wank.

super

Reaction score
Just bought a herringbone suit today. can't wait to pick it up - it's MONEY!

super

Reaction score
160909suitbody.jpg
This is the suit i bought last month... osaka cut in navy... one of the older made in japan ones. Ethan from herringbone did tell me that just because the suits moved to china doesn't mean that quality is any worse.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super, I've got the same suit, and I like it very much.
It looks very nice on you.

I have one of the made-in-China suits and I think that it is fine. The other suits that I have looked at in the store seem good, in terms of construction, too.

However, whether it is due to a strange stylistic choice, or due to teething problems with the manufacturer in China, I have noticed that a couple of the made-in-China suit models have rather unappealing edge-stitching on the lapels, rather than the more common (and to my mind, much more aesthetically appealing) pick-stitching. Apart from that, though, they look fine.

Apparently there is a silvery-grey model due in store in the next month or so, just in time for summer, and I am very much looking forward to seeing it.

super

Reaction score
Thanks journeyman! Would love to see pics of yours as well. I think my suit is slightly on the small side. When I went to see ethan he offered me a 40 suit and have that taken in where needed. I found this suit in another store and it didnt need any alterations other than to increase the sleeve length, but even then it's still on the short side. I guess this is more of a fashiony shrunken suit style than a classic fit. I think i'll go back to the macquarie place store and get another suit in size 40 and hopefully get the expert opinion of ethan.
suitjacket.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super, the length of the jacket, and the width of the shoulders, looks good. I think that the only problem is that the sleeves look a bit too short.

I really like Herringbone suits, but I do wish that they would not pre-cut the buttonholes as it makes altering the sleeves quite difficult and, in some cases, quite expensive.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
Not true. The shoulders are obviously too tight.

The suit looks terrible obviously because Herringbone have moved suit production to China. This would not happen if they made suits in Japan still, even though the suit you own is from Japan.

Looks good though the sleeves are possibly too short.

super

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Super, the length of the jacket, and the width of the shoulders, looks good. I think that the only problem is that the sleeves look a bit too short.

I really like Herringbone suits, but I do wish that they would not pre-cut the buttonholes as it makes altering the sleeves quite difficult and, in some cases, quite expensive.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this suit is a size 38, contrary to what ethan recommended... So now I kinda wish i went with his advice! It's still a comfortable suit, but I guess slightly tight on the shoulders and short in the sleeves. I think length wise its alright.

Originally Posted by neyus
The suit looks terrible obviously because Herringbone have moved suit production to China. This would not happen if they made suits in Japan still, even though the suit you own is from Japan.

Looks good though the sleeves are possibly too short.

My suit looks terrible or it looks good? lol I'm confused.

I guess I will take these critiques into account when I get another suit soon! I'll still enjoy this suit as a kind of "shrunken" style suit lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads