• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: style or comfort?

Chim12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harburn
Style is critical. This is not "Comfort Forum".

Very good! But take the time to do it right and get both, patience and persistence will keep you walking well into old age, ill fitting shoes = messed up feet

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both. Most of my shoe purchases have resulted in this.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to look for both if I can but I always go for style over comfort, I can always add inserts if need be and usualy do.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
As much as I like the style of my Corthay and Berluti I'm thinking of selling, or giving them away because of comfort issues.....

Wow, they must be really hurting to even think about it! But... out of curiousity....what size are they?
devil.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of what importance is style if you cannot wear the shoe? No one looks stylish with a grimace on his face.

The fact is some people will never be fit correctly in a RTW shoe. If you are one of those people, the only options are... made to measure (bespoke) or running shoes, flipflops, etc. .

If you have a pair of shoes made for your foot, you can have both comfort and style in whatever degree you want. Bespoke means you decide the leather, you decide the toe shape, you decide the heel height.

Bespoke means that the idiosyncrasies of your foot, the distinct topography, will be noted and accommodated. Most bespoke makers will make a "trial" shoe of some sort before finishing the commission. That means you can ask the maker to adjust the shoe to fit your head as well as your foot.

You can also hammer your wallet buying very "stylish," off the shelf "name" shoes and still end up wearing flipflops to the reception.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaesarSTL
Wow, they must be really hurting to even think about it! But... out of curiousity....what size are they?
devil.gif

Size 9.5....and it isn't that they hurt so much as it is that they are not as comfortable as other shoes that I have that are not as stylish, but that I tend to wear more often.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Size 9.5....and it isn't that they hurt so much as it is that they are not as comfortable as other shoes that I have that are not as stylish, but that I tend to wear more often.

That's my size...
devil.gif
I imagine with those two brands you would want quite a bit for them, but if you ever do decide to get rid of them please PM me because I'm quite curious/interested. Thanks.

Jared,

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Of what importance is style if you cannot wear the shoe? No one looks stylish with a grimace on his face.

+1

To which I add, of what importance is comfort if the shoe is fugly?

9 out of 10 people (heck, who am I kidding ... 99 out of 100) need to buy fewer, better shoes. Patience, knowledge, and good shoe care will result in a sound stable of admirable footwear.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
+1 To which I add, of what importance is comfort if the shoe is fugly?
It's a matter of perception isn't it? Ugly, I mean. Stylish or ugly...same thing in its essence...and what is regarded as stylish or even ugly changes from year to year, season to season. So it's no stretch to suggest style is subjective...and transient. But comfort is not. In fact wearing shoes that are not comfortable can literally change your feet--causing bone relationships to change, ligaments to shorten or elongate, sometimes even causing certain aspects of the basic structure to collapse. Fallen metatarsal arches are one example. And fallen metatarsal arches can lead to calcium buildup in the joints, hammer toes, etc.. All these are problems that most certainly are not transient or subjective. When we are young our bodies tend to adapt more readily--seemingly to situations that make no sense in some instances--with no apparent ill-effects. Smoking is a good example of this. But problems such as these...which sneak up on us...can last a lifetime. [One of the reasons buying used shoes can be a a gamble that goes far beyond the monetary price.
nest.gif
] I am not downplaying the importance of style or fashion...it's what drives people to go the extra step beyond wrapping the foot in rawhide...or the modern equivalent--duct tape.
biggrin.gif
But if it's either/or or even a matter of priority...well, as the saying goes "every form of refuge has its price."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads