• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What about Rubinacci RTW?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we need a Jos. A. Bank dedicated sub-list.

There's Executive, Signature, Traveler, Signature Gold, Trio, Joseph, and Stays Cool. That's a lot to grapple with. My initial vote is for Stays Cool.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ooh, what about the Levi's Action Suit? You could wash it and wear it, and it had a little "Levi's" embroidered on the sleeve cuff.
Originally Posted by mafoofan

There's Executive, Signature, Traveler, Signature Gold, Trio, Joseph, and Stays Cool. That's a lot to grapple with.

I see you have given this matter some thought.
My initial vote is for Stays Cool.
Is that for periodic female travelers?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's Executive, Signature, Traveler, Signature Gold, Trio, Joseph, and Stays Cool. That's a lot to grapple with. My initial vote is for Stays Cool.

Stay Cool sounds awesome, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the criteria for the list.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
ooh, what about the Levi's Action Suit? You could wash it and wear it, and it had a little "Levi's" embroidered on the sleeve cuff.

Above SoCal, but below Fuuma. However, I can see it going the other way. Whatever the case, it deserves our support.

I see you have given this matter some thought. Is that for periodic female travelers?

No, they wear Trands.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Stay Cool sounds awesome, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the criteria for the list.

It really should have it's own exclusive rating, set aside from all the rest. Like Connemara, but less pasty and virginal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who the f*ck abbreviates 'Joseph' to 'Jos.'?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Who the f*ck abbreviates 'Joseph' to 'Jos.'?

Doesn't the store do it?

The NYAG is investigating...
sneaky2.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think there's already a forum devoted to it and its brethren.

Maybe I should start another proxy thread, this time to encapsulate the entire AAAC forum. Just think: a whole forum inside a thread inside another forum. If my appearance on The Today Show has taught me anything, it's to aspire.

Doesn't the store do it?

Maybe they were trying to Stay Cool.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a big jump between 0 star and 1 star so I added fractional stars Also bumped up Nautica from 0 star to 4/8 star Nonpareil [*****1/2] (i.e. Unmatched so don't add anyone else) - Savile Row's Paul Jheeta Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. If money is a factor then these suits could sell for much, much more. This category should be kept to only a few items) - Kiton - Oxxford - Brioni - Cesare Attolini Napoli - Borrelli - RLPL Very Good [****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category or prices could be raised significantly and would still be good value). - Luciano Barbera - Sartoria Partenopea - Sartoria Attolini Napoli - Isaia - Caruso Sartoria Parma - Pal Zileri Sartoriale - Ravazzolo - Zegna Couture - Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Good [***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits or the value of these suits is above average). - Caruso - Canali - Corneliani - Hickey Freeman Mainline - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece - Ermenegildo Zegna - Samuelsohn Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable, and the price matches it). - Cantarelli - Boglioli (might not be not in terms of construction, but def for cut and fabric) - Brooks Brothers 1818 - Paul Smith - H. Freemann - Hickey Freeman LTD (Half Canvas) - RLBL - Z-Zegna (sometimes satisfactory sometimes mediocre) Mediocre [*] (i.e. Suits that should usually be avoided. Quality leaves much to be desired or prices are usually higher than they should be for such a suit). - Hugo Boss - Banana Republic Monogram - Lauren Ralph Lauren So-so [7/8 *] (i.e. sometimes good, sometimes bad) - Land's End - Hart Schaffner Marx - Sean John Below par [6/8 *] (i.e. noticeably lacking in quality, only for doormen) - Chaps Ralph Lauren - Haggar Imperial - Jos A Bank Signature Gold Displeasing [5/8 *] (i.e. downright offensive to the senses) - Baroni - Jos A Bank Signature - John Bartlett - Haggar Black Label For poor people [4/8 *] (i.e. Don't buy unless money is definitely an object) - Haggar - Oscar de la Renta - Nautica - Jos A Bank Executive - Evan Picone Bad [3/8 *] (i.e. Don't buy unless you're on welfare and need to appear in court. May be able to return for refund if you don't remove the sleeve tag) - Tommy Hilfiger - Mantoni (sorry Manton) - Jos A Bank Stays Cool (sometimes 4/8 * if you need help staying cool
cool.gif
) - Cricketeer Really Bad [2/8 *] (i.e. more bad than Bad but not as bad as Badder than Really Bad) - Austin Reed - Polo University Club (if you cut off half the label that says University Club, upgrade to 3/8 *) - Rocco Siffredi - Mario Rossi - British Manor Badder [1/8 *] (just don't buy it OK?) - Today's Man - K&G - Structure (if you have a time machine to go back to 1992, bump to 3/8 *) - Alfani Baddest [ ] (i.e. Don't buy. Quality is overall bad, or quality is nowhere near the price asked for). - H&M - Banana Republic - Calvin Klein - Tasso Elba

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is Black Fleece now above Golden Fleece?

Because it's a superior product (at least the stuff I've seen and own - not sure about the current season)

btw, where's Burberry? And Loro Piana?

...and Men's Wearhouse omfg?

laphroaig

Reaction score
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. If money is a factor then these suits could sell for much, much more. This category should be kept to only a few items) Raja Fashions - Leading tailor in HK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads