• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2009 Discussion

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Do you guys not read the news? Jets allegedly offered the money he wanted if he held out and went to new york next year.

I'd sure as **** rather be catching passes (tee hee) from Mark Sanchez
inlove.gif
than Hill or god forbid, Alex Smith. Plus he gets the deal he wants.

And this is going to be a huge tampering case if it turns out to be true. Multiple #1 picks for certain. Between this and favre gate, the GM is going to lose a lot of money and possibly his right to work in the NFL. Probably not the last as Gooddell has been fairly lenient with folks.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
And this is going to be a huge tampering case if it turns out to be true. Multiple #1 picks for certain. Between this and favre gate, the GM is going to lose a lot of money and possibly his right to work in the NFL. Probably not the last as Gooddell has been fairly lenient with folks.

So true. He's lenient with management and throws the book at players. What ever happen to the tapes of Rams' practices that New England shot??
tinfoil.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crabetree is a ******* idiot. There is NO WAY this is going to end well for him. The best possible outcome is he takes the 9er's offer. Even assuming that the Jets did make him an offer its assuming a lot that they will end up with his draft rights. Say he does reenter the draft, who is to say another team wont draft him. And by all indications there will be a slotting system next year so even if the Jets did draft him he would be paid according to their draft position. Jest look decent, and will likely finish higher than seventh worst in the league. As for the whole "i should have been drafted #7" all I can say is shut the **** up you little *************. Brady Quin was supposed to be top five, Arron Rodgers was supposed to be top five, **** happens.

In a way I hope the 9ers don't sign him, trade him for a second round pick and spend the dollars on a proven free agent. The rookie salary scale is ridiculous.

This whole thing just goes to show never draft an egomaniacal "skill" player with a #1 pick.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other problem is that they're not allowed to trade his rights until March 1. Of course, even then it would be difficult to do so as they'd have to find a team with suitable cap room that was willing to pay him what he's asking.

If he is not signed by week 10, he is ineligible to play this year and any contract he would sign w/ the 49ers would begin next year.

It is unfathomable to me that any team would take him higher than 10th overall next year. And once you get past 10, since you're going to pay him less then the Raiders offered, at what point does his talent outweigh the concern that he won't sign? Remember, with the rookie pay scale each team is slotted a certain amount to pay rookies based on number of picks and draft position, so it's not as if you can take him late 1st/early 2nd round and pay him like a top 5 guy without compromising your ability to sign the rest of your picks. I'm rooting for him to continue to hold out because I'd love to see where he goes in next year's draft.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There really isn't a great receiver anywhere in the current college landscape. He could easily go top 10 next year as well. I liked this take on it from Bill Simmons:

All right, it's time for our Miller Lite Great Call of the Week, my weekly quest to either praise a decision I loved or defend a decision previously thought to be indefensible. As you probably have heard, San Francisco rookie holdout Michael Crabtree still hasn't signed. Why? He believes he was the best receiver in the 2009 draft, so even though he was picked three spots after Darrius Heyward-Bey -- who signed with Oakland for $23.5 million over seven years -- according to the Crabtree Scouting Ratings, he still should be paid like the best rookie receiver because every mock draft had him higher than Heyward-Bey. And you know what? He's right. Let's flip this around. You're 29. You've been dating the same girl for nearly three years. She is the best catch of her college friends. One of her less fetching friends meets a guy who is wealthier and more successful than you. Inexplicably, he proposes within seven months. It makes no sense. She totally outkicked her coverage with this guy; he doesn't even know about her "Girls Gone Wild" appearance yet. Still, the whole thing plants those "if she's getting married, what's wrong with me?" doubts in your girlfriend. She wants a ring, and she wants it now. You can't believe it. You thought you had already worked this out -- you were going to wait to get married until you were financially stable. You take her out to dinner and make the following argument: Look, just because somebody proposed to your crazy friend doesn't mean that: (A) she's better than you; or (B) this should affect your situation in any way.
Basically, this is Crabtree's argument. He is better than Heyward-Bey. Everyone agreed in April. The Raiders passed for the simple reason that they are the dumbest franchise in the league, as we keep remembering every few months. San Francisco was blessed to get a top-five talent at No. 10. It should pay for this blessing. So far, it has not done so. Crabtree is being called crazy, but really, he just believes in his own talent. He really WOULD throw away this season to prove a point. That's not crazy, that's conviction! Michael Crabtree might be ruining his career and setting hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire, but at least he earned my Miller Lite Great Call of the Week.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
There really isn't a great receiver anywhere in the current college landscape. He could easily go top 10 next year as well. I liked this take on it from Bill Simmons:

Gotta love Bill Simmons' ability to put things into context.

While he and Crabtree may be "right", to fight over a couple mil when you're guaranteed to make $20 is ******* stupid. To say otherwise is also ******* stupid.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There really isn't a receiver who is projected to be great. Projections can be wrong both ways. There was a lot of talk around Mike Williams as well. Granted, he was taken 10th overall after sitting a year out - but he sat out for reasons beyond his control, had the benefit of Matt Millen having the 10th pick, and of course never ended up doing anything in the NFL.

I think the girl in Simmons' story would be more likely to stick around if she wasn't allowed to date anyone but you for the next year.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's assume Crabtree gets drafter higher in next year's draft -- say #7. What's to stop him from telling the new team, "I've looked at this year's draft and think I'm one of the top four players. Give me a contract comparable to that of the #4 pick."? Knowing that possibility, what team in its right mind will spend a high first-round pick on him?

If Crabtree thinks he is the best WR in this year's draft, he needs to get on the field and prove it.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bills S is a idiot. Crabtree played in a pass happy COLLEGE offense. Sure he looked good. But thats no guarantee that he will be a great pro. In fact if history is any guide predictions of future greatness are pretty much worthless. And its not like he's being asked to play for free. There were two knocks on CT. First that he was a drama queen and a diva (read: high maintenance *****). Second, that he might not be as good as his stats would seem due to the nature of the offense he played in. So far he is proving knock #1 to be spot on, and thus has not had a chance to disprove knock #2.

TO is great player but that has not stopped teams from trading him due to his behavior. Even if CT turns out to be as good a player as TO (which is highly doubtful) he will still be a liability due to his attitude (unless he grows the **** up).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For a team in need of a receiver, who is out there that is better than Crabtree? I'd throw $25 mil at him, most of it non-guaranteed, with a **** load of incentives based on production. What's to lose?

Norcal - All receivers are divas.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True dat, although some are better than others. Thats why you should only draft (hella) down-linemen and middle linebackers #1.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For a team in need of a receiver, who is out there that is better than Crabtree? I'd throw $25 mil at him, most of it non-guaranteed, with a **** load of incentives based on production.

You could be the next GM for the Lions with that kind of mentality.

Plus, he won't sign your deal. It's chump change as far as Crabtree is concerned, or haven't you been paying attention? That is likely less than the 49ers offered.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a team in need of a receiver, who is out there that is better than Crabtree? I'd throw $25 mil at him, most of it non-guaranteed, with a **** load of incentives based on production. What's to lose?

If you were GM, you'd be in the same situation as the 9ers. He wants it all guaranteed.
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
You could be the next GM for the Lions with that kind of mentality.

Plus, he won't sign your deal. It's chump change as far as Crabtree is concerned, or haven't you been paying attention? That is likely less than the 49ers offered.

+1

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Niners offered $20. Rumor is he wants $40. I'm just saying I'd offer him something down the middle with incentives to put him over the $40 mark.

I'd take the Lions GM job. Lord knows I couldn't ******* up as badly as Matt Millen did. Maybe I'll draft receivers with the 1st pick 3 years in a row. That sounds like a good plan.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Niners offered $20. Rumor is he wants $40. I'm just saying I'd offer him something down the middle with incentives to put him over the $40 mark.
The problem is not your up front number, its the guarantee. Your "$25 mil most of it non-guaranteed" is quite likely less money than the 49er's offered him. You'd think that in line with the players above and below him in the draft, they offered him around 16-17 million guaranteed. You can offer him the 40 million that he's asking for, but if 20-something of it isn't guaranteed, he's not going to sign it, cause it's not what he thinks he's worth. (even though he might be worthless)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads