• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing my H&H shirts with MOP buttons

samus

Reaction score
I picked up a few RTW Harvie & Hudson shirts when I was recently in London. Problem is, I'm nervous about washing them. They are my first shirts with true MOP buttons, and they are very thin, it seems to me, in comparison with my usual plastic jobs. Do I need to be especially delicate, or will they be fine? Thanks!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're right to be nervous.

I would never wash those shirts.

- B

samus

Reaction score
Come now, vox, we all have to start somewhere.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
Come now, vox, we all have to start somewhere.

Well, RJman wraps the buttons on his bespoke Lanvin with little squares of aluminum foil before they are laundered. As he posted in another thread, "Once my shirts are clean, removing the foil is like opening up a candy bar."

Alexander Kabbaz will also launder shirts. His technique? He rips off the buttons and sews on new ones with each cleaning.

- B

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Well, RJman wraps the buttons on his bespoke Lanvin with little squares of aluminum foil before they are laundered. As he posted in another thread, "Once my shirts are clean, removing the foil is like opening up a candy bar."

Alexander Kabbaz will also launder shirts. His technique? He rips off the buttons and sews on new ones with each cleaning.

- B

laugh.gif

So,when are you picking the shirtmaker,sir?

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

You are making joke for both this thing, yes? Kabbaz do not remove button of shirt when wash shirt.

Do rjman wear also this?
tinfoil.gif

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
If your washing machine at home is a front loader, you'll be ok. Wash in cold water then hang dry. If your washing machine is a top loader, do NOT wash in the machine. Hand wash, then hang dry. A top loader washer has that twisting mechanism in the middle that will destroy things. The Euro-designed Front loaders have only a rotating drum and 'tumble' wash the clothes. You can also keep the shirt buttoned & turn it inside-out before washing. That will protect the buttons further from any direct contact with the washer drum or other garments that the shirt can catch on. I have several MOP shirts that I wash in cold water setting on our Front loaders. I always let them hang dry (or almost dry) then iron. no problems experienced here at all. Avoid dry cleaners. They press the hell out of everything and will destroy your buttons.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Don't forget to get advice from vox on where to send your shirts for pressing. I hear Royal Mail does a great job pressing shirts but I'm not certain of post code.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
If your washing machine at home is a front loader, you'll be ok. Wash in cold water then hang dry.
If your washing machine is a top loader, do NOT wash in the machine. Hand wash, then hang dry.
A top loader washer has that twisting mechanism in the middle that will destroy things.
The Euro-designed Front loaders have only a rotating drum and 'tumble' wash the clothes.
You can also keep the shirt buttoned & turn it inside-out before washing.
That will protect the buttons further from any direct contact with the washer drum or other garments that the shirt can catch on.
I have several MOP shirts that I wash in cold water setting on our Front loaders.
I always let them hang dry (or almost dry) then iron. no problems experienced here at all.
Avoid dry cleaners. They press the hell out of everything and will destroy your buttons.

I have a top loader, but I put my shirts into individual laundry bags before washing them. I've been wearing some of my shirts for 11+ years, so I assume that the bags work well!

The only reason to be nervous about MoP buttons, as far as I am aware, is if you send your shirts out to the cleaners and they use a large press on the shirts, instead of hand-ironing them. This is because the pressing machine can crack the MoP buttons. Hand-ironing, though, does not present any problems.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I have a top loader, but I put my shirts into individual laundry bags before washing them. I've been wearing some of my shirts for 11+ years, so I assume that the bags work well!
All my shirts get washed in easy-care preset in the washing machine, ie. hot water, several cycles, takes about an hour, slower spin dry setting. I can hear the MOP's tapping against the glass window occasionally. No broken buttons yet. I'm more worried about breaking the cuff buttons from hitting hard surfaces on some tables. I don't like top-loaders. Over time they tend to shred everything.

Mr.P

Reaction score
The Turnbull and Asser Online Store site has a Garment Care section with detailed instructions. They actually recommend having the shirt unbuttoned so as not to put too much pressure on the buttons.

evil_bond

Reaction score
a good shirt should be able to withstand regular washing at the recommended temperature for years. I have H&H shirts that are 6 years old that are still looking super (though i wash them at only 30C, but that is due to my extreme fear of sleeve shrinkage).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wash cold on the delicate setting in my cheap-o, old top loader and have never cracked a button, except for a Jantzen one but that button style (the self-shank) seems particularly fragile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics