• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
Thanks, TheWraith.

Though I do wonder what great benefits are to be had from MTM shoes. Clearly, MTM clothes make a difference, but as long as a shoe fits comfortably, can mold to your foot a bit, and doesnt move around too much or squish your feet/toes, then it's fine. It's not as if the exact measurement of your boot will be noticeable to your appearance?

It's probably best for those who have trouble finding shoes/boots that fit well OTR, just as with clothes. But I'm sure a bespoke shoe's virtues will undoubtedly be apparent to those who are lucky enough to be able to afford such.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Also, not sure about the finish of rm williams boots in general. There's a small gap between one of the heels and the shoe, generally things look unevenly done, the back of one of the boots' stitching is fairly wonky, there's a few deep nicks and cuts in the leather soles. Most worried about - possible curving of the bottom of the soles and not sure if this is normal. E.g. it feels like they're buldging out? I'll take pics later. But I assume it's fairly normal?

Maybe these irregularities are part of the handmaking process? And desired?

SpeedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
I have two types: a no-name, split toe, full heel that I found at a cobbler here in Sweden. I like these a lot. Then I have the model that RMW sells. These have neither the split toe nor the full heel but the high curve fills out the vamp on the RM's pretty good. Better on the G lasts than on the wider H.

I think they are made for RMW by Rochester in the States. Google them and check out their price point. RMW's price is a bit steep. Check out Cederville as well.

Are there any manufacturers of trees in Oz? Anyone out there have a clue?

Cheers

According to the RMW red cedar boot tree box, the trees are from southern united states. And on the metal part that joins the 2 parts of tree together it says Rochester shoe tree co. Ashland NH USA.

So amce, thats correct where the RMW boot trees come from.

ferguscan

Reaction score
I have two types: a no-name, split toe, full heel that I found at a cobbler here in Sweden. I like these a lot. Then I have the model that RMW sells. These have neither the split toe nor the full heel but the high curve fills out the vamp on the RM's pretty good. Better on the G lasts than on the wider H.

I think they are made for RMW by Rochester in the States. Google them and check out their price point. RMW's price is a bit steep. Check out Cederville as well.

Are there any manufacturers of trees in Oz? Anyone out there have a clue?

Cheers

Is madaboutshirt still running a proxy for the Woodlore/Epic trees? I use them and would recommend them for RMW boots.

Stuart

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
just my 2c, the RMW trees aren't all that good. i had to have two sole inserts on my 8G's so that the wood would reach the vamp and upper of the shoe. they are also too thin in the width even in G width.

regards,

ps. anyone know if RMW will send out lasted trees?

I purchased two pairs of trees at the Percy Street shop in Adelaide when I was visiting Oz last June. They're available in S, M, L, XL and XXL. I asked for the appropriate size for my 9.5 (9+) boots. When I put them in back at the hotel I too thought that they were a "loose" fit. Upon checking I saw that they had given me size M. The sizing info on RM's web recommends the M for boot sizes 7.5 to 9 and L for sizes 9.5 to 11.
Went back the next day and exchanged them for L's. They fill out the vamp perfectly on my 9.5 G's but are slightly too narrow for the H's. Maybe its like that: good fit at the lower end of the range, looser at the top end.
No mention of any lasted trees anywhere on the web or in the catalogue.

Would like to try out the Woodlore Ultra or Epic.

Cheers

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Also, not sure about the finish of rm williams boots in general. There's a small gap between one of the heels and the shoe, generally things look unevenly done, the back of one of the boots' stitching is fairly wonky, there's a few deep nicks and cuts in the leather soles. Most worried about - possible curving of the bottom of the soles and not sure if this is normal. E.g. it feels like they're buldging out? I'll take pics later. But I assume it's fairly normal?

Maybe these irregularities are part of the handmaking process? And desired?

It surely is not desired. Most RMW boots I've seen are pretty rugged, and not nearly as refined as the other shoe makers praised on this site. Your pair sounds to be a bit over the top in ruggedness though. If it bothers you, just return/exchange them.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Maybe. Already took them back once.... I feel taking them back again is excessive - and I wonder if the main issues with it will be rectified anyway when its resoled - but I don't want to wait *that* long... I'll post pictures soon to show.

Also wondering if a black pair would be more useful to me at the moment, so if I did take them back I may exchange colours too.

amce

Reaction score

Worth sending back? OR is this well within acceptable characteristics of the boot?

None of my boots have looked like that. I would definitely try to exchange them.

Cheers

rayuela

Reaction score
Another question about rotating boots:

I know that in the long term wearing the boots day after day without letting them rest will shorten their life. But what about trips of a couple of weeks? I would prefer to only bring one pair of shoes and the RM Williams are at the top of my list, but will doing this really affect the shoe? Do I really need to bring two pairs of shoes and rotate, even for a couple of weeks? I had mediocre shoes before so this was never really an issue.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayuela
Another question about rotating boots:

I know that in the long term wearing the boots day after day without letting them rest will shorten their life. But what about trips of a couple of weeks? I would prefer to only bring one pair of shoes and the RM Williams are at the top of my list, but will doing this really affect the shoe? Do I really need to bring two pairs of shoes and rotate, even for a couple of weeks? I had mediocre shoes before so this was never really an issue.

** Have at least two pairs of shoes with you on the trip. Wear one pair and pack the other. Take plastic shoe trees.

Stuart

Sharpe

Reaction score
None of my boots have looked like that. I would definitely try to exchange them.

Cheers

Thanks amce - although which aspects are you talking about? the gap in the heel?

They just seem so badly put together. And I wonder if the general quality has dipped or if i've just been unlucky with 2 pairs (first pair - the boots didnt really match - different heights, one heel shiny the other not etc, second pair - gap, badly put on soles, wonky, etc).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayuela
Another question about rotating boots: I know that in the long term wearing the boots day after day without letting them rest will shorten their life. But what about trips of a couple of weeks? I would prefer to only bring one pair of shoes and the RM Williams are at the top of my list, but will doing this really affect the shoe? Do I really need to bring two pairs of shoes and rotate, even for a couple of weeks? I had mediocre shoes before so this was never really an issue.
They're just shoes, son. If you want to wear them every day, wear them. If they wear out, replace them. lefty

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks amce - although which aspects are you talking about? the gap in the heel?

They just seem so badly put together. And I wonder if the general quality has dipped or if i've just been unlucky with 2 pairs (first pair - the boots didnt really match - different heights, one heel shiny the other not etc, second pair - gap, badly put on soles, wonky, etc).

I'd say you were just unlucky. It happens.

choowy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
They're just shoes, son.

If you want to wear them everyday, wear them.

If they wear out, replace them.

lefty

This is pretty damned good advice.

It makes commercial sense for RM Williams to advise its customers to alternate between boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads