• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what are you talking about? Free worldwide shipping.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
Also, how are some store-owners able to omit sales tax? Always wondered about that..

Stores only have to charge sales tax to customers who reside in-state. Or they could offer prices that are 'tax included' and pay the tax themselves.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Nvm I saw wrong.. it was sales tax that got added.. ouch.. $30 sales tax Wait.. so if I order from the NY selfedge then there's no sales tax?
Originally Posted by milosz
Stores only have to charge sales tax to customers who reside in-state. Or they could offer prices that are 'tax included' and pay the tax themselves.
ah i see. Chad is super nice then. Do vintage clothing stores charge sales tax? I can't recall.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
--
Oh yea, and just curious but how come SE's shipping charges are so high while others are able to offer free shipping?
Also, how are some store-owners able to omit sales tax? Always wondered about that..

What?? how could our shipping charges be high when it's free?

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I always thought SE prices already include shipping anywhere in the world. No? I bought a few items from Kiya and never had to pay any shipping.

Actually, Self Edge's prices do not "include" shipping charges, shipping is literally free. We do NOT build the shipping costs into the product mark-up, we literally take it as a loss.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait.. so if I order from the NY selfedge then there's no sales tax?
This depends on how the business is set up, I believe. If SESF and SENY are separate entities, then no you shouldn't. If SESF and SENY are part of the same corporation, yes you should.

If a company you order from does business in your state, you get hit up for sales tax. Barnes & Noble has retail spots in my state, so if I order online I pay tax. Amazon does not, so I pay no tax. (Or, technically, I'm supposed to pay the Texas sales tax myself, I guess.)

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
This depends on how the business is set up, I believe. If SESF and SENY are separate entities, then no you shouldn't. If SESF and SENY are part of the same corporation, yes you should.

If a company you order from does business in your state, you get hit up for sales tax. Barnes & Noble has retail spots in my state, so if I order online I pay tax. Amazon does not, so I pay no tax. (Or, technically, I'm supposed to pay the Texas sales tax myself, I guess.)

It has nothing to do with whether or not two locations are separate entities, it has to do with where the product is being shipped from.
All online orders are shipping from San Francisco, so anybody in California must pay tax... let's say we opened a warehouse in Austin, Texas. Then anybody living in Texas would be charged tax for orders that were leaving from the Austin warehouse.

garmis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
It has nothing to do with whether or not two locations are separate entities, it has to do with where the product is being shipped from.
All online orders are shipping from San Francisco, so anybody in California must pay tax... let's say we opened a warehouse in Austin, Texas. Then anybody living in Texas would be charged tax for orders that were leaving from the Austin warehouse.

Please open a shop in Austin. This town needs a denim shot in the arm!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kiya, when are you guys getting a new shipment of the 3Sixteen slim coateds?

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Kiya, what's your recommended method for soaking unsanforized denim? And is it a good idea to wear them while soaking? Would it allow for full shrinkage to occur? Since if it's true to size it can't shrink smaller than my waist.. Self Edge x Sugar Cane = SEXSC06 http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=374 those look like they feel very rough yet are made of light material. How's the durability? I guess someone's gonna recommend me Iron Hearts but I'm looking for something in the medium durability range. Something a step up from all the 14oz i've been wearing. Maybe 16oz like the 1001 Flat Heads but when are you guys getting a restock?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Kiya, what's your recommended method for soaking unsanforized denim?
And is it a good idea to wear them while soaking? Would it allow for full shrinkage to occur? Since if it's true to size it can't shrink smaller than my waist..

I guess someone's gonna recommend me Iron Hearts but I'm looking for something in the medium durability range.
Something a step up from all the 14oz i've been wearing.
Maybe 16oz like the 1001 Flat Heads but when are you guys getting a restock?

Soak the jeans inside out in warm water for 30 minutes then allow it to air dry. No need to wear them while being soaked or while damp.

Regarding the other jean, i think you should check out the new Imperial SEXI08, it's heavier denim and the fit is on point for a slim fitting jean.

ajchen

Reaction score
The jeans are almost finished and will be shipping to SESF and SENY at the beginning of October. This is the last run of coated blacks that we will be doing, as we started off with a set amount of material and have now used it all up. There will be no more restocks of this jean after this run has been sold out.

Originally Posted by KitAkira
Kiya, when are you guys getting a new shipment of the 3Sixteen slim coateds?

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajchen
The jeans are almost finished and will be shipping to SESF and SENY at the beginning of October. This is the last run of coated blacks that we will be doing, as we started off with a set amount of material and have now used it all up. There will be no more restocks of this jean after this run has been sold out.
Out of curiousity, will you guys be offering the ST with the Nihon Menpu 200x denim in the future?

sbbbjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmis
Please open a shop in Austin. This town needs a denim shot in the arm!
i've lived in austin for 2 years in the heart of it all, and this town is too laid back for that - no one will spend that much on a pair of jeans here. too many people look too good in levi's and other brands to justify dropping that much on jeans anymore. that's not saying that i don't have a hankering for a pair of FH F380's - but i have a lot less of it here in A-Town. ok, maybe students . . sorry for jacking the thread, please continue . . .

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
this town is too laid back for that - no one will spend that much on a pair of jeans here.

ok, maybe students . .

if a new SE opens it probably wont be Austin. kiya has hinted before at LA

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiya, You should be getting my RJB exchange but I'm looking for something black too I think or maybe some SC 2009's. But if I'm a 34 in the 105bsp's and the 34 Okinawas fit good in the waist would I want to go with 33's in Imperial black dukes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads