• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise Question & Answer

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I invariably have a question I seek advice for each week, I'm going to use this thread. Maybe others would like to use it, too.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One 5x5 work out each week is in the "morning" for me, shortly after breakfast. Not sure what to eat for this for performance. I usually get a cup of coffee in me, sometimes I eat yogurt or egg beaters or nothing, and I tend to find this once a week morning work out more difficult than mid day work outs.

I feel my deadlifts are stalled at 200 lbs due to grip strength. Should I work on grip strength or is it simpler to assume deadlifts are improving my grip well enough on their own?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just eat a full meal before the gym, don't overthink it. try a mixed grip or do some farmer walks or something.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
My anecdata shows that a ***** breakfast is the best fuel for a midmorning workout. Try sausage and eggs with a cuppa coffee.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
One 5x5 work out each week is in the "morning" for me, shortly after breakfast. Not sure what to eat for this for performance. I usually get a cup of coffee in me, sometimes I eat yogurt or egg beaters or nothing, and I tend to find this once a week morning work out more difficult than mid day work outs.

I feel my deadlifts are stalled at 200 lbs due to grip strength. Should I work on grip strength or is it simpler to assume deadlifts are improving my grip well enough on their own?

Likely in the minority here, but if I have a hard, morning workout I probably won't eat anything in the morning, but a lot the night before. I will always have a whole load of espresso or coffee in me. IMO eating before a workout is unnecessary. If I eat the night before, I'm well digested and can get up and go.

This works better for distance/semi-distance work. If the workout is 1hr+ I'd say eat some fruit.

Grip strength = rock climbing. period.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can workout without eating, especially on big compound lifts like 5x5. I try and deadlift with an empty stomach and I just can't bring any effort into it.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
I don't know how you guys can workout without eating, especially on big compound lifts like 5x5. I try and deadlift with an empty stomach and I just can't bring any effort into it.

IMO opinion it is mental. You are used to having food in you. You aren't 'hungry'. But you have an appetite that is expecting food that you probably don't need.

... I do agree that compound lifts are tougher to push through and depending on goals likely require food. But they are doable IMO. Almost all of my morning workouts are aggressive, hill-heavy trail runs and my legs very rarely feel weak in the sense that they need more energy.

My turning point in thinking food was necessary to working out was a 8 mile out-and-back trail run at just under race pace where I had a crash at the turn. No food in the stomach and another 4 miles to go I felt like I was going to collapse but said screw it, just go. The next 5 mins were hell and a little slower. But the crash passed and I finished the run as strong as I started. It was a nice mental barrier to cross.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't run if I tried after eating. Lifting is a totally different story for me, though I do agree it is mental.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, if I do something in the morning, I prefer (at least a semi-)fasted state. Once you break the mental barrier, it's fine. The whole lean, mean thing is true - I've accomplished amazing things before on an empty stomach, from great runs and lifting, to actually producing good work. Start eating and it just slows you down, makes you sleepy again, etc.

I actually feel that the sugar levels are crucial for me in the morning, an inappropriate carb-rich item can make me sluggish for hours.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the truth about protein absorption per meal?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
What is the truth about protein absorption per meal?

It gets absorbed.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How long should I wait after eating to work out?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theres nothing mental about it. im not saying you cant grind through a tough workout having only eaten the night before, but by then all of the carbs that you didnt use (almost all of them in this case) for energy will have been converted into glycogen and stored in your muscles making the energy source less bioavailable. by eating a decent breakfast, which should be one of you bigger meals, about an hour and a half before your workout your body will be primed for action. eating a lot at night and nothing in the morning is pretty much ass backwards from what would be ideal for someone wanting to maintain lower bodyfat levels. a decent breakfast could consist of a variety of foods, but this is the one meal that you want to contain a fair amount of carbs, plus lots of protien and healthy fats from foods like peanut butter (not sausage) which should be in all of your meals

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
How long should I wait after eating to work out?

1 1/2-2 hrs plus is ideal for solid poods to be digested. stuff like smoothies, give it an hr or so

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I sometimes feel sick to my stomach after working out. What would be the cause of this?? I do take NO Xplode approximately 30 minutes before I work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads