• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a casual tie?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sooo... the guys at context also have no eyes for style? they must not, according to these posts, because i don't think they would stock something that they though would make the wearer look stupid. regardless of why the model wears it. and yes, its obvious they model them to sell them, but do you really think they would just slap some **** together and put it on their website if they didn't like it

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
sooo... the guys at context also have no eyes for style? they must not, according to these posts, because i don't think they would stock something that they though would make the wearer look stupid. regardless of why the model wears it. and yes, its obvious they model them to sell them, but do you really think they would just slap some **** together and put it on their website if they didn't like it
Don't straw man this. I love the majority of their buys, and no one said the dudes at Context have no style. Their motivation for putting ties on casually-dressed models is simple: money. As for "slapping some **** together," boutiques have to sell looks they don't believe in to capture market share. Look, consider: which picture moves more of their units? This
pink_black_tan_micro_check.jpg
or this?
blue_oxford.jpg
If you thought about copying that second photo...that's not a realistically good look. The shirt looks like it belongs under a sports coat/blazer of some kind.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't "copy" anything, and no, i would not wear the second look. the point im trying to drive home is that some people on this forum reject all looks which arent commonly seen on this forum. the fact that even though a look doesnt have the coveted sf seal of approval doesnt mean it cant work. this forum consists of a lot of people with for the most part similar taste, which is fine, but it often comes off as being narrow minded.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Key: the pieces should be casual in and of themselves--you can't just toss a silk tie onto a plaid cotton shirt and expect results. That'd be like wearing EG with tapered jeans. Your look has to create the proper context for a tie.
i don't "copy" anything, and no, i would not wear the second look. the point im trying to drive home is that some people on this forum reject all looks which arent commonly seen on this forum. the fact that even though a look doesnt have the coveted sf seal of approval doesnt mean it cant work. this forum consists of a lot of people with for the most part similar taste, which is fine, but it often comes off as being narrow minded.
The idea of SF isn't to get a "seal of approval." Dress however the **** you want, then when posting a fit consider the source of any comments. If I was going for vintage/workwear I'd listen to Bobo and robin, if classier/suiting I'd listen to PG. You will get called out for things that don't work, though. The dude wearing a red V-neck + tie is an example--he looked very scholarly. Mess around with fits and see what works. The problem here is that you, specifically, want to dress relatively well (per your previous posts) instead of universally well. That's cool but then SF may not be for you.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I think the rise on daiki's pants is like 3 or 4 yards

wearing vintage m-65 cargos today, and the front rise is like one feet or so. Dont even dare to speculate about the back rise...

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
wear a casual tie casually

ah dur

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Key: the pieces should be casual in and of themselves--you can't just toss a silk tie onto a plaid cotton shirt and expect results. That'd be like wearing EG with tapered jeans. Your look has to create the proper context for a tie.

The idea of SF isn't to get a "seal of approval." Dress however the **** you want, then when posting a fit consider the source of any comments. If I was going for vintage/workwear I'd listen to Bobo and robin, if classier/suiting I'd listen to PG.

You will get called out for things that don't work, though. The dude wearing a red V-neck + tie is an example--he looked very scholarly. Mess around with fits and see what works. The problem here is that you, specifically, want to dress relatively well (per your previous posts) instead of universally well. That's cool but then SF may not be for you.

"per my previous posts" i actually said at least once not to wear a silk tie casually(red v neck). regardless of the way you think i want to dress, my opinion is that the problem is not everyone sees the tie as an item that can be considered non-corporate. other than that i think youre right except for where you were being a dick at the end

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regardless of the way you think i want to dress...
i think thats one of the main reasons i feel like i can as well. i live in houston where "dressed up" is an ed hardy tee and true religions. i can do whatever the **** i want and nobody will know the difference anyway
???; not "thinking," you explicitly said you do whatev b/c of where you live Note that in my last post I said something w/ "you," but before I quoted you. I'm trying to respond to the OP there, not give you advice--I read you already said no to casual silk ties and agreed w/ using, like, Hill Side for this kind of ****. Okay enough derailing. Best post so far, as an answer:
Originally Posted by nahneun
wear a casual tie casually ah dur

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???; not "thinking," you explicitly said you do whatev b/c of where you live

Note that in my last post I said something w/ "you," but before I quoted you. I'm trying to respond to the OP there, not give you advice--I read you already said no to casual silk ties and agreed w/ using, like, Hill Side for this kind of ****.

Okay enough derailing. Best post so far, as an answer:

yes, i did say that but it was supposed to be a joke. ok no more for me

Rolf

Reaction score
What do you guys mean with the word casual? Is casual school etc or does parties go under casual aswell? Kinda new on the forum, sorry for the dumb question.

glasses guy

Reaction score
my friend, if this is not a serious matter to you, then you have stumbled across the wrong forum

Maybe i have stumbled across the wrong forum, but stressin abt how to wear somethin to the point it becomes taboo is pointless. style is about wearin clothes your way. granted, their are certain things that shouldn't be done, but not wearin your shirt tucked in isn't a big deal. i wouldn't go to a job interveiw like that bt if i'm going out with my friends i would. But again maybe since i'm only 16 i can get away with more stuff than people who are in their thirties or older.

Glasses Guy

glasses guy

Reaction score

If you thought about copying that second photo...that's not a realistically good look. The shirt looks like it belongs under a sports coat/blazer of some kind.

he should rolled the sleeves up
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads