• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a casual tie?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomusername
I posted a pretty similar question in the "Ask a quick question" thread, and I still strongly feel that Daiki Suzuki and J. Kissi both pull it off really well, although they don't typically do it with jeans:

ojm1qe.png

2egcyhi.jpg

come on man, suzuki is wearing cargo pants. do you mean to tell me you'd rather wear cargo pants than jeans?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys it's not that it necessarily looks bad, it's that when most people see a dude dressed like that, their first thought will not be "that guy is well put-together" but rather "why is that guy wearing a tie?"

randomusername

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
come on man, suzuki is wearing cargo pants. do you mean to tell me you'd rather wear cargo pants than jeans?

No, not at all; replace those cargo pants with the exact same color in a chino and they'd look just fine, though, and much better than with jeans.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Ok guys it's not that it necessarily looks bad, it's that when most people see a dude dressed like that, their first thought will not be "that guy is well put-together" but rather "why is that guy wearing a tie?"

ok, i'll buy that, but i just don't think its a bad thing

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty

pretty much.

I wore a tie in a casual way at least a couple times a week for two years and looking back through my waywt's i'll admit a lot of them look pretty silly (and even then I was working in an office, not wearing a tie to go out with friends or to class or whatever). There are a few looks that I still really like though.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
What chrono said, wearing a tie casually makes you look like an asshole.

It might be I just look like an asshole?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Casual tie, casual vest, or blazer/graphic tee/jeans are usually the go to items of the bad dresser who thinks he's "going fashion". Kinda cute in its own way

Hoho, this is so true, gotta quote it. If I had a penny for every guy I've seen awkwardly wearing a blazer that doesn't go with anything else he is wearing simply because he wants to look "cool and sophisticated" I'd be wiping ****** with thom browne suits.

On a similar note around here it's really popular for guys to wear winklepicker shoes with skin-tight jeans and button up with a women's cropped leather jacket, don't ask me why but it seems most of the young fashion kiddos like to wear this gettup, surprisingly it looks alright half the time, they do occasionally incorporate a skinny black tie into the mix.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Haha. Do people realize the BoO context models are wearing ties to show them off to sell not because it looks good?

Daiki looks dope as hell but he has style for miles so you can't just replicate that. Jskiss looks alright i guess. Not a huge fan of the tie but then again, most the other posters defending ties don't have a quarter of the eye for style he/daiki have.

I'm waiting for the thread asking if wearing a casual vest, casual blazer, casual tie, and casual fedora can all be worn together for the ultimate terrible mish mash of gq styles

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^daiki looks awsome, love the cargos (m-51 or m-65?) in the context. It would have looked equally good, and perhaps more natural without the tie though.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daiki looks dope as hell but he has style for miles so you can't just replicate that.
First: totally agree that Context models wear ties to sell them. This is as plain as day...it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog. I'm interested in this thought: "style for miles." I'm not sure I follow. You mean he looks comfortable in his clothes? The tie fits his aesthetic well? Or he gets a pass b/c he designs?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
..it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog.

Actually, I base my looks--oh, wait, this isn't the J. Crew thread. Never mind.
shog[1].gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
First: totally agree that Context models wear ties to sell them. This is as plain as day...it's like basing your looks off stuff in a J.Crew catalog. I'm interested in this thought: "style for miles." I'm not sure I follow. You mean he looks comfortable in his clothes? The tie fits his aesthetic well? Or he gets a pass b/c he designs?
All the pieces work really well as a whole. All the details including facial hair, actual hair work with the outfit. The layering looks well done but not stuffy. The stuff fits him really well (note that fitting well doesn't only mean fitting skinny) for his body and aesthetic. All the small things are clicking. He obviously has a fine eye for detail, fit, proportions, color, textures, layering, styling, etc... Basically, his look works. I don't think the average person will be able to look at that and go to the mall to replicate it and look half as good. That's the difference between people who don't have a good eye for those things and instead rely on arbitrary rules they read in a magazine or here somewhere, can't put together an ensemble themselves so need a forum or catalog to do it for them, or who still struggle to pull off basics well. The tie thing can be done, but if you have to ask, you probably can't pull it off

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the pieces work really well as a whole. All the details including facial hair, actual hair work with the outfit. The layering looks well done but not stuffy. The stuff fits him really well (note that fitting well doesn't only mean fitting skinny) for his body and aesthetic. All the small things are clicking. He obviously has a fine eye for detail, fit, proportions, color, textures, layering, styling, etc... Basically, his look works. I don't think the average person will be able to look at that and go to the mall to replicate it and look half as good.

That's the difference between people who don't have a good eye for those things and instead rely on arbitrary rules they read in a magazine or here somewhere, can't put together an ensemble themselves so need a forum or catalog to do it for them, or who still struggle to pull off basics well. The tie thing can be done, but if you have to ask, you probably can't pull it off

I can absolutely see what you mean, and I bolded one part I agree with strongly. I'm not a fan of workwear but he does look comfortable in his clothes and they seem to suit him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads