• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
Is this for suits being made now? Suit brands may have changed in quality over time.

Well I would suggest that it only includes suits that are made now, yes, or made very recently (i.e. can be found in a shop). I think it would get way too complicated having years in here.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. If money is a factor then these suits could sell for much, much more. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
-
-
-
-

Very Good [****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category or prices could be raised significantly and would still be good value).
- Oxxford
-
-
-
-

Good [***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits or the value of these suits is above average).
- Canali
- Corneliani
-
-
-

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable, and the price matches it).
-
-
-
-
-

Mediocre[*] (i.e. Suits that should usually be avoided. Quality leaves much to be desired or prices are usually higher than they should be for such a suit).
-
-
-
-
-

Bad [ ](i.e. Don't buy. Quality is overall bad, or quality is nowhere near the price asked for).
-
-
-
-
-

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton should be bumped down to Oxxford's level.

Reactions: RSS

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. If money is a factor then these suits could sell for much, much more. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
- RLPL
- Oxxford
- Despos

Very Good [****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category or prices could be raised significantly and would still be good value).
- Brioni

Good [***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits or the value of these suits is above average).
- Canali
- Corneliani
- Hickey Freeman Mainline
- Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
- Zegna
- Isaia

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable, and the price matches it).
- Brooks Brothers 1818
- RLBL
-
-
-

Mediocre[*] (i.e. Suits that should usually be avoided. Quality leaves much to be desired or prices are usually higher than they should be for such a suit).
- Hugo Boss
-
-
-
-

Bad [ ](i.e. Don't buy. Quality is overall bad, or quality is nowhere near the price asked for).
- H&M
- Banana Republic
-
-
-

Cognacad

Reaction score
Read the "rules" man. Only one addition per person per day, you added like 12. What is this, a party!?!

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
Read the "rules" man. Only one addition per person per day, you added like 12. What is this, a party!?!

Rules? I don't read no damn rules.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Just try to play nice, I didn't make this topic to see a magogian12345 list, if I wanted that I would of PM'ed you. No offense or anything

dfischer1

Reaction score
- Kiton
- RLPL
- Oxxford
- Despos

- Brioni

- Canali
- Corneliani
- Zegna
- Isaia

- Brooks Brothers 1818
- RLBL
- Paul Smith
-
-

- Hugo Boss
- Banana Republic Monogram
-
-
-

- H&M
- Banana Republic
-
-
-

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why are RLPL, Oxxford, and Kiton all ranked level with Despos, but ahead of Brioni? If people were only allowed to rank things they've actually worn, this list would be a completely different animal.

Reactions: RSS

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Why are RLPL, Oxxford, and Kiton all ranked level with Despos, but ahead of Brioni? If people were only allowed to rank things they've actually worn, this list would be a completely different animal.
everything is subjective. beauty and comfort are in the eye of the beholder

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Not to mention that the only Brionis most people see are the ones posted on the internet.

If the suit fits well, wear it. Seriously, no dude is going to start checking out your sleeve buttons. And if he does, start moving away.

Edit: To clarify, some people get hung up on the idea that suit "quality" depends on working sleeve buttons, pick stitching, and all those assorted frills that they see on pictures of Kitons. Or they get tied up with how they're constructed with this special kind of shoulder done by master artisans. You can't judge a suit by those qualities alone. You're going to have to put it on and wear it. I don't know if any single person has worn more than 4 of the brands mentioned, but they'd be ideal candidates for ranking them.

Lowndes

Reaction score
- Kiton
- RLPL
- Oxxford
- Despos

- Brioni
- Samuelsohn

- Canali
- Corneliani
- Zegna
- Isaia

- Brooks Brothers 1818
- RLBL
- Paul Smith
-
-

- Hugo Boss
-
-
-

- H&M
- Banana Republic
-
-

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
- Kiton
- RLPL
- Oxxford
- Despos

- Brioni
- Samuelsohn

- Caruso
- Canali
- Corneliani
- Zegna
- Isaia

- Cantarelli
- Boglioli (might not be not in terms of construction, but def for cut and fabric)
- Brooks Brothers 1818
- RLBL
- Paul Smith
-
-

- Hugo Boss
-
-
-

- H&M
- Banana Republic
-
-

Added Caruso, Cantarelli and Boglioli. do not want rules
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads