• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots a little too tight

KaiserSose

Reaction score
My new Paul Smith boots fit perfectly everywhere except on the toes where my pinky toe gets squeezed a little bit. It isn't unbearable, but I would love if they loosened up a little there.. Will they naturally loosen up over time? Should I invest in boot trees? Is there another method to widen them a little bit?

I love these boots and finding them in another size is impossible (plus I don't think that would help as the length is perfect). Also returning them would be costly as I bought them from England and was hit by high shipping / importer tax.

fongstar

Reaction score
Take them to your local shoe repair shop - they can stretch your boots for a cheap cost.

ynot

Reaction score
I agree with fongstar. Stretching in width is possible. But not so much in length.
I would get boot trees as well. Not only will it help, it's obviously good for your boots.
Paul Smith shoes seem to run long and narrow...

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
You can buy boot stretchers online that should allow you to stretch the toe box a bit. Just get the stretcher and some fluid and you're good to go. It should run your around $30 bucks (well I'm not sure actually for boot stretchers, I only have a shoe stretcher). A cobbler can do the same thing for cheap if you don't want to buy a boot stretcher for one pair of shoes but if you have a lot, it might be a good investment for the future.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys - something I've found helps me enormously - invest in thinner socks. All socks are not the same thickness, and thinner/thicker socks can actually make the difference in half a shoe size! (this makes tremendous difference in width (pinky toe) i've found more than length.)

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ynot
I agree with fongstar. Stretching in width is possible. But not so much in length. I would get boot trees as well. Not only will it help, it's obviously good for your boots. Paul Smith shoes seem to run long and narrow...
This is not true, they're quite wide actually And the leather will stretch out naturally with wear, but shoe trees should be used regardless

hth2002

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
I'm having the exact same issue with my new Indy boots: fits perfect except for a toe box that's a little tight. Will the toe box spread a little as they break in, or do I need to take them to a cobbler?

The toe box doesn't stretch much, because there is less pressure. The toes get squeezed together or are flexed. The stretching is more likely to happen before your toes.

Sock size and time of day also makes a difference. Be sure to use the thickest socks you plan on using with the boots. If you are planning on using this for cold weather, be sure to use your thick winter socks for fitting. Feet are larger in the evening from running around all day.

I would take them to a good cobbler to stretch the the toebox.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
The toe box doesn't stretch much, because there is less pressure. The toes get squeezed together or are flexed. The stretching is more likely to happen before your toes.

Sock size and time of day also makes a difference. Be sure to use the thickest socks you plan on using with the boots. If you are planning on using this for cold weather, be sure to use your thick winter socks for fitting. Feet are larger in the evening from running around all day.

I would take them to a good cobbler to stretch the the toebox.

Thanks for the tip. Time to find a cobbler in DC!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Guys - something I've found helps me enormously - invest in thinner socks. All socks are not the same thickness, and thinner/thicker socks can actually make the difference in half a shoe size! (this makes tremendous difference in width (pinky toe) i've found more than length.)

This is abslotely true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads