• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

piik

Reaction score
Hey. I'm trying to replace my IC Berlin sunglasses lenses with prescription one. Frame is 8 base frame and my prescription is Left:-2.25D Right:-1.75D PD:61mm. Sungrasses size is 62-12-140. Do you think I can replace them? I may wanna go with transition lenses which change it's shade. I did some research and it seems that there are several type of lenses; polycarbonate, urethan, HOYA trasition, CR-59, Hi-index lenses, and etc. I don't know exactly differences of them. Do you have any suggestion or recommendation?
Thanks for your time.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
CC would you happen to know any reputable optometrists that carry prescription Salt in Southern California?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where are you in southern California... there are plenty in san diego

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Haha I guess I should have been more clear. Basically around Los Angeles/Pasadena/Orange County.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
salt has a store finder on their website...

stewiegriffin

Reaction score
MV5BMTc5MDQ2MTU4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA1MDY2Mg@@._V1._SX284_SY400_.jpg

MV5BMTQ0MDc4MTgzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYzOTI2MQ@@._V1._SX266_SY400_.jpg

MV5BMTMwMjIyNDI1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUzOTI2MQ@@._V1._SX268_SY400_.jpg

what are those eyeglasses? i want it so bad!

Boddington

Reaction score

eclipse75

Reaction score
alright, i always get headaches from light. i also tend to be a bit more physical. thus i usually tend to scratch up my shades (which were scratch resistant, but walmart shades) within a few months. i've only dealt with plastic lenses also though.. any brand or route i should go for very scratch resistant and polarized pair of shades?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by piik
Hey. I'm trying to replace my IC Berlin sunglasses lenses with prescription one. Frame is 8 base frame and my prescription is Left:-2.25D Right:-1.75D PD:61mm. Sungrasses size is 62-12-140. Do you think I can replace them? I may wanna go with transition lenses which change it's shade. I did some research and it seems that there are several type of lenses; polycarbonate, urethan, HOYA trasition, CR-59, Hi-index lenses, and etc. I don't know exactly differences of them. Do you have any suggestion or recommendation?
Thanks for your time.

The different materials all have their pros and cons. Generally, I suggest to stay away from Poly because of its poor optics. Glass shatters so stay away from that too. CR-39 is just regular plastic which is okay. High index is not needed. I would say just to go with a regular surafaced cr39. That should be sufficient.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
CC would you happen to know any reputable optometrists that carry prescription Salt in Southern California?

No idea. I live in the great white north (Canada).

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boddington
I see that Goldfinch has already been brought up, here are the ones I'm considering, what do you think?

http://www.theyedoctor.com/products/...__product.aspx

I cant vouch for their quality but the frame is basically the clubmaster look. Personally, I think there are too many rivets. I would rather have just a simple rivet and the rest black, or just plain black with no rivets. IMO, it has too many things going on. I would rather see it plain. Just my opinion though.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eclipse75
alright, i always get headaches from light. i also tend to be a bit more physical. thus i usually tend to scratch up my shades (which were scratch resistant, but walmart shades) within a few months. i've only dealt with plastic lenses also though.. any brand or route i should go for very scratch resistant and polarized pair of shades?

If you are looking for shades try looking into some that are polarized with glass lenses. Glass tends to scratch less, BUT when they break, they shatter. If you have scratches on your lenses go with glass. If you are breaking your lenses, just be more careful and stick with plastic lenses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads