• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the americana/workwear for non-workers thing is strange to me. i mean, correct me if im wrong, but isnt this all mostly based on a japanese take on our stuff anyway? why do i need a japanese guy to tell me what he thinks about 1947 levis? i like to think i have a pretty firm grasp on that **** already you know, because i'm from america and last time i checked, so were levis (regardless of where theyre produced now)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in line with this topic, here's a quick review of the grunge in fashion movement:

- seattle bands wear kmart and walmart flannels, music scene blows up
- designers co-op this and create $250 flannel shirts, which few can afford
- walmart, kmart create cheap versions of designer flannels, even though walmart and kmart are where the grunge rockers bought the *********** first place

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
yeah the americana/workwear for non-workers thing is strange to me. i mean, correct me if im wrong, but isnt this all mostly based on a japanese take on our stuff anyway? why do i need a japanese guy to tell me what he thinks about 1947 levis? i like to think i have a pretty firm grasp on that **** already you know, because i'm from america and last time i checked, so were levis (regardless of where theyre produced now)

Because the Japanese do it better? Really, compare any of the Japanese magazines to GQ or Esquire and they're not even close to the same league. It's funny that you say you have a "firm grasp" on **** you already know, since you re from America, when Japan is one of the biggest contributors to the Americana/Workwear movement (at least in the world of clothing). They're the ones buying US machines, US cotton, and some companies make their clothes in the US. They probably care more about "Made in America" than Americans do, and that's really no one's fault but "our own" as Americans. Obviously I throw around some pretty wide generalizations but they are for the most part, pretty true.

Also, WTF is with people taking fit pics of their jeans with their shirts off? Yes, please show me your pale flabby gut with your happy trail and I'll tell you how your ass looks in those jeans
rolleyes.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Because the Japanese do it better? Really, compare any of the Japanese magazines to GQ or Esquire and they're not even close to the same league. It's funny that you say you have a "firm grasp" on **** you already know, since you re from America, when Japan is one of the biggest contributors to the Americana/Workwear movement (at least in the world of clothing). They're the ones buying US machines, US cotton, and some companies make their clothes in the US. They probably care more about "Made in America" than Americans do, and that's really no one's fault but "our own" as Americans. Obviously I throw around some pretty wide generalizations but they are for the most part, pretty true.

Also, WTF is with people taking fit pics of their jeans with their shirts off? Yes, please show me your pale flabby gut with your happy trail and I'll tell you how your ass looks in those jeans
rolleyes.gif

yeah i understand the whole quality part of it and wont argue with it. its more the irony that im trying to point out. its like they look at what we do, then tell us what we're doing, but we don't think its cool until they tell us we're doing it

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty... odd at times. A retailer was talking once about how a company grows it's cotton in the US, mills it in Japan, sends it back so it can be made in the US, then shipped back to Japan for sale, THEN shipped back to the US so it can be sold in the US. Crazy.

But, at least in a roundabout way Americans are appreciating an American look, instead of fetishizing another country's look (Italian, English, or really anything European).

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
yeah i understand the whole quality part of it and wont argue with it. its more the irony that im trying to point out. its like they look at what we do, then tell us what we're doing, but we don't think its cool until they tell us we're doing it

To be fair, we weren't "doing" what you suggest we were for a looooong time. Americana was gone until Japan brought it back.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse youtube comments or sartorialist comments. Both make me feel dumber with each read so I have to take a break in order for my IQ to recover.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm just going to make do with mall brands for a while. Express actually has some nice outerwear. (Everything else was abysmal) I want to buy this jacket if it ever goes on sale: http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=97 Only thing it didn't have that I wanted was a two way zip. Club monaco is pretty damn expensive for what you get, IMO. H&M is good when you have no money. Alot of the stuff looks like LSD throwup though.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a nice jacket. ive seen it, and like it, but cant afford it. doesn't really bother me too much because i live in houston and wouldnt be able to wear it often anyway

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really understood the all-too-common criticism of workwear in that it's not being used for its intended purpose. Sure, we're not building bridges or mining silver in our workwear, but then again I don't see people setting up perimeters in their military surplus, or hitting the high seas in their peacoat, or bagging high school chicks in their varsities...

Who cares? Just wear it because you like it.

And, yes, the japanese do do it better. Naturally, if something is made by a Japanese company, it is usually first sold in Japan and sometimes makes its way over here. They aren't telling us to do anything. What kills me are the small American companies that only sell to Japan.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I've never really understood the all-too-common criticism of workwear in that it's not being used for its intended purpose. Sure, we're not building bridges or mining silver in our workwear, but then again I don't see people setting up perimeters in their military surplus, or hitting the high seas in their peacoat, or bagging high school chicks in their varsities...

It's not really a legitimate criticism, just a backlash against workwear because of it's popularity (fashion is after all, cyclical).

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou

Who cares? Just wear it because you like it.

And, yes, the japanese do do it better. Naturally, if something is made by a Japanese company, it is usually first sold in Japan and sometimes makes its way over here. They aren't telling us to do anything. What kills me are the small American companies that only sell to Japan.

dont get butt hurt man. i was only saying i thought it was ironic. much like a lot of the rest of fashion. i like clothes, doesnt mean i cant have a laugh at fashions expense

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I don't know what's worse youtube comments or sartorialist comments. Both make me feel dumber with each read so I have to take a break in order for my IQ to recover.
this is my favorite
Originally Posted by thesartorialist
The one body area a woman is most worried about is her hips, thighs and butt. Right? So why would a designer ever make a dress that specifically brings more attention, weight, and bulk to that area? This is a perfect example of the disconnect between fashion and real people. I mean, if you only have 30-something looks in a show to tell your story for that season why waste any of them on designs that would never sell (especially in this economy) or even push the "art" of fashion in a reasonable direction. That ruffle detailing is great (and, to be fair, Preen did offer other options with that detail), but there must be other ways to use it so that it doesn't strongly detract from a ************.
Originally Posted by THEFIRSTCOMMENT
Anonymous Anonymous said... Love your fresh and brave perspective on this!
for all history every single fat woman in the entire world has complained about designers not designing for imperfect bodies but when the sartorialist points this out someone thinks he's fresh and brave!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Because the Japanese do it better? Really, compare any of the Japanese magazines to GQ or Esquire and they're not even close to the same league. It's funny that you say you have a "firm grasp" on **** you already know, since you re from America, when Japan is one of the biggest contributors to the Americana/Workwear movement (at least in the world of clothing). They're the ones buying US machines, US cotton, and some companies make their clothes in the US. They probably care more about "Made in America" than Americans do, and that's really no one's fault but "our own" as Americans. Obviously I throw around some pretty wide generalizations but they are for the most part, pretty true. Also, WTF is with people taking fit pics of their jeans with their shirts off? Yes, please show me your pale flabby gut with your happy trail and I'll tell you how your ass looks in those jeans
rolleyes.gif

They're trying to get free **** from Socal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads