• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran over to JG on my lunch break to help move some stuff and the owner tossed this little bottle my way. 2004 Gouguenheim Winery Invierno | Cabernet Sauvignon, Valle Escondido

2004-gouguenhein-cab.jpg

Will probably pop 'er cork tomorrow night or Saturday so pics and notes to come.

Oh, and as a side note I will be getting in the near future some real glasses, which my boss said he'd sell me at cost....Riedel IIRC...I love them...we use them in the shop.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts

Oh, and as a side note I will be getting in the near future some real glasses, which my boss said he'd sell me at cost....Riedel IIRC...I love them...we use them in the shop.

tigergif3.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm ordering some new Spiegleau. I actually went to order them today with my CC rewards points only to find out that I'm literally $1.77 in points short. Now I have to wait all the way until next month to get the next points dump to buy them. Pain **********.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The past posts beg the question....How important do you feel stemware is to the enjoyment of good wine? Personally, I always try to use some good quality stemware when enjoying a bottle of wine, but I'm honestly not sure how it affects the experience. Right now I'm using these for red and white.

So I ask...Is fine stemware a necessity when enjoying wine or strictly novelty items? I'm somewhere in the middle...

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ John you know the answer to that. I think it's important when you are drinking better wines.
For table wine and such I think any glass will do.
what do you think honestly?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
The past posts beg the question....How important do you feel stemware is to the enjoyment of good wine? Personally, I always try to use some good quality stemware when enjoying a bottle of wine, but I'm honestly not sure how it affects the experience. Right now I'm using these for red and white.

So I ask...Is fine stemware a necessity when enjoying wine or strictly novelty items? I'm somewhere in the middle...

I do not think it is strictly a novelty item, not at all. In fact, the type of glass can have a big impact on both the smell and flavor of a wine. I have done side by side comparisons with different glasses and there was an undenyable difference in how the wine is perceived.

But, similar to what you point out, there is a line to be drawn. I don't see the need to have a set of glass for Bordeaux, a set for Syrah, a set for Nebbiolo, a set for Pinot Noir, a set for Chardonnay, a set for Sancerre, and on and on. I am settling on a set that will be used for red wine (the Spiegelau Vino Grande Bordeaux series) and a set for white wine (the set I have was 4 for $10 a Pier 1).

I don't think there would be an exceptional difference between your glasses and my glasses for a white wine. I do, however, think we would notice a contrast between your glasses and PandArt's old ice cream goblets. But in the end, glasses are just one of dozens of things that effect how we perceive wine. A $125 Riedel Sommelier line is going to have just as much trouble extracting that bouquet from a Montrachet that is chilled to 38 degrees F.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^ John you know the answer to that. I think it's important when you are drinking better wines.
For table wine and such I think any glass will do.
what do you think honestly?

You know I do, but I enjoy engaging discussions about anything wine really.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
You know I do, but I enjoy engaging discussions about anything wine really.

Screwcaps. Discuss...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"This wine is corked..."

"It's a screwtop sir."

Well, the wine industry has grown exponentially over the years and and from what I understand a cork from a cork tree can only be harvested once every ten years. I have also heard that the wine industry only uses something like 20% of harvested cork which would be a great strain supply of cork.

In regards to "corked" bottles of wine- I can count on my hands the amount of spoiled bottles I have opened over the past few years, and I have opened A LOT of wine (Probably north of 1,000 bottles). Needless to say, I don't buy the argument that screw tops are a necessity.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HEY! I like my ice cream gobblet!!!
blush.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rainbow sprinkles and gummy bears. Interesting...

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
"I get a hint of mint chocolate chip on the nose"

rotflmao.gif

But you KNOW I'm snaggin' some of them Riedels just as soon as I got the extra cash!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads