• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

cancel.sing

Reaction score
The new 1969 Skinny isn't a skinny jean. Some of those measurements seem really off to me. I have a pair of 30x30s and they are a perfect slim-straight cut. No discomfort or tightness anywhere.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
The new 1969 Skinny isn't a skinny jean. Some of those measurements seem really off to me. I have a pair of 30x30s and they are a perfect slim-straight cut. No discomfort or tightness anywhere.

my measurements aren't skinny at all. the rise is pretty accurate as i subtracted the inseam from the outseam, and the inseam measured 30" for a jean tagged 30."

the waist i expected to be a little big as the rise is lower than usual and they've stretched in my week of wearing them exclusively.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Just got some loose selvage, and I"m really liking these. Unlike some of the other models, it only has selvage stitching on the coin pocket, so it's subtle. Think they will be fun for knocking around.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
The stretching in the waist is definitely a little disconcerting. I gave my pair an initial wash + hang dry, wore them on and off for two weeks, and by the end of that the waist looked a little goofy. Washed, tossed in the dryer, and that cleared up, but I have worn them a bit since then and there definitely has been some stretching in the waist, just not as much as last time. I'm hoping the dryer did the trick and they won't get all whacked out again, but only time will tell.

constantine.

Reaction score
my new Gap Skinnies have a leather patch on the back. I thought all of the new jeans were patch-less. Anyone?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
my new Gap Skinnies have a leather patch on the back. I thought all of the new jeans were patch-less. Anyone?

sounds like you have the elevated skinnies. do you have a blue button on the selvage coin pocket? is there a 1969 emblazoned in white letters above the right back pocket?

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.

Check the tag that is likely in one of the legs at the hip. It will say what season they are from and the name of the fit and wash usually. I haven't seen the selvage skinny from this season to see if it has a patch or not. The old ones do.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
sounds like you have the elevated skinnies. do you have a blue button on the selvage coin pocket? is there a 1969 emblazoned in white letters above the right back pocket?

By definition, anything from the $88 price point is the 'elevated' denim. New old or otherwise. But I get what you are trying to say...that he could have last season's skinny.

There was a skinny rigid last season.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
By definition, anything from the $88 price point is the 'elevated' denim. New old or otherwise. But I get what you are trying to say...that he could have last season's skinny. There was a skinny rigid last season.
the rise on this season's skinny seems considerably lower than last season's, and you said yourself the denim is of a better quality, and i agree. and yes, this season's skinny has a tag on the inside noting it as "fall 2009."

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
the rise on this season's skinny seems considerably lower than last season's, and you said yourself the denim is of a better quality, and i agree. and yes, this season's skinny has a tag on the inside noting it as "fall 2009."
I have yet to put hands on the skinny and it was not promoted till very late so I can't confirm fit being different. The selvage didn't take as large a leap as the non did as far as fabric goes. simply not as much ceiling and room for growth at that level and price point. The non-selvage going to ring/ring and all... Design and Construction did however take big steps up so there will be differences absolutely.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
Check the tag that is likely in one of the legs at the hip. It will say what season they are from and the name of the fit and wash usually. I haven't seen the selvage skinny from this season to see if it has a patch or not. The old ones do.

Correct, this is last season's model. None of the new 1969-ers have the leather patch.

constantine.

Reaction score
Yeah. I must have last seasons. No white letters, no blue button, tag on the inside says "1969 09" instead of "Fall 09".

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
Not skinny with a 9" thigh?!

yes it's tight at the thigh but the taper isn't dramatic through the knee and there's plenty of room at the calf. that's pretty much how a slim, straight jean should fit to me (ie KMW 1980).

skinny jeans have a hem of <= 7"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics