• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shaving soap?

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this SMN stuff I will have to try. Is it the best you have ever used? ...and thanks for the link it probably would have only required a quick google

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using Caswell-Massey soap since I started shaving with a brush and soap. I note that no one else has mentioned it. Any idea of how it stacks up in comparison to the others? I have no particular complaints, but once my supply has been exhausted, I'd be open to suggestions for something better.

I can never understand this obsession with DE razors. I used the damn things for 28 years--no way I would ever go back!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Now this SMN stuff I will have to try. Is it the best you have ever used? ...and thanks for the link it probably would have only required a quick google

You should probably still look around to see if there's a btter price out there - this was the 1st google hit.

I would say that it's best I've used but have only ben shaving with a brush for a couple years and have experience with a couple of soaps and another cream (Truefitt) only - so not that many data points.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I can never understand this obsession with DE razors. I used the damn things for 28 years--no way I would ever go back!

I was recently given three razors that my father used in the late '50s - early '60s. They haven't been used in 40 years and I'm happy to add one to my dopp kit and save the others for some young male members of my family when they come to age.

Can't imagine doing that with a Trac II.

lefty

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I've been using Caswell-Massey soap since I started shaving with a brush and soap. I note that no one else has mentioned it. Any idea of how it stacks up in comparison to the others? I have no particular complaints, but once my supply has been exhausted, I'd be open to suggestions for something better.

I've heard that Caswell-Massey can be fairly variable between the product lines, which isn't too unusual: Crabtree & Evelyn is the same way in having one exceptional product (which they discontinued) and the rest of the line paling by comparison. That said, you've no doubt read the recs on this thread, which are all quite good. Also, if you can tolerate lanolin, I've heard that Mitchell's Wool Fat is exceptional as well.

As for the DE obsession: my first DE was a Gilette Tech and I hated it very very badly. Shaving with it was a miserable experience, and even water burned my face after shaving. Switching to the Merkur HD was an incredible upgrade IMHO.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3

Best I've ever tried - certainly beats Trumper's hands-down

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
FYI:

4.4 oz Tabac soap to be had here for 13.99.

Use the coupon code "BB" for free shipping.

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_...googleShopping

Very surprised I'm not getting any love for this. Best soap you can buy at 13.99 free shipping, come on guys. Normally you'd have to order it straight from Germany for 16 Euro plus the cost of the FedEx to the States.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks *kissy

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Very surprised I'm not getting any love for this. Best soap you can buy at 13.99 free shipping, come on guys. Normally you'd have to order it straight from Germany for 16 Euro plus the cost of the FedEx to the States.

Not a bad price at all. Amazon has it as well, Prime eligible which means that prime members can have it with 2-day shipping for $18 or so. Hmm, wonder if they have Mitchells as well.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Not a bad price at all. Amazon has it as well, Prime eligible which means that prime members can have it with 2-day shipping for $18 or so. Hmm, wonder if they have Mitchells as well.

FYI, Mitchells Wool Fat and Kent are the same thing. Sometimes you can find Kent shaving soap cheaper.

I may try Kent/Mitchells next, but this Tabac I just got looks like it's going to last me a good year, unless the gf hijacks it to use on her legs.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion09
Although I haven't used it but I have heard that Tabac is considered the best and there nothing wrong in giving it a try

Yes. I've known about Tabac for years, but I never got around to ordering the soap until now because the shaving cream I used was just horrible.

The soap is a completely different story, I don't think I've used a soap as good as this, and I've used many.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

We need a "where to kop product for less" thread. I paid retail today for Molton Brown Black Pepper Bodywash and it damn near broke my heart.

lefty

TomJones

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads