• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeremyjoe
got some nice finds today from my usual stores

$9 Mani Giorgio Armani 2 button Suit - Doesnt even need to be taken to the tailor
$3.50 Mani Giorgio Armani Jacket - couldnt find pants anywhere, but its nice and heavy
frown.gif

$6 Gordon Rush shoes black no laces
$1 E Zegna Tie
$5 B. Republic Merino Wool sweater NWOT (I know its BR but it fit me well)
$5 Paul Smith Button down cufflink shirt - small stain but oxy clean and shout stain remover does wonders
$11 Jones New York wool full length overcoat - must weigh like 5 pounds but will be perfect when i move to new york for the winters

passed on a saks5 passport blazer, botony 500 blazer, BB blazers, pauw wool overcoat and a canali blazer...maybe ill go back for the canali one cause it was a blue plaid but 3 button and super funky

Oh, now THAT'S impressive! And I am GOOD at thrifting. Insanely good because I'm one cheap mick b*stard. But my hat is off to you.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I hit my usual circuit of thrift shops today without finding a single thing.
That sums up my day. Absolutely nothing. I found a couple LP's (nothing fantastic) and an Oxxford dress shirt. There was an Oxxford grey pinstripe suit jacket with a '2 pc' tag, meaning there were pants somewhere in the store - or were at one point. The jacket was very recent, and I looked high and low and never found the pants. I was so pissed b/c the jacket was a perfect fit. Then, I went to another thrift store that always has good stuff, but is priced really high - especially until they start having sales. But this inventory was brand new so everything was 'full price'. Some of the stuff I saw but refused to purchase b/c of the prices (keep in mind this is all used stuff): 1) grey Isaia trousers (with small burn mark on back of leg) - $75 2) Incotex cords - $55 3) D'avenza for David Cenci Cashmere SC - $100 4) Luciano Barbera flannel trousers - $75 5) Pringle of Scotland sweater vest (really sweet) - $65 If any of these had been NWT I probably would have grabbed them. I'm getting really sick of inflated pricing on used goods....

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
I too would like to see pics of the Isaia shoes.
Here ya go... Any ideas on how I might go about wearing these bad boys? Beyond wearing them with white pants, very light blue shirt and ...

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Fleece shirt - $5, like new. First Black Fleece item I've ever come across. From Fall 2007.
Canali pants - $5.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Here ya go...
Any ideas on how I might go about wearing these bad boys? Beyond wearing them with white pants, very light blue shirt and ...

Craig Sager is the only one that comes to mind.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we have a thread for this, but the urge hit.
I have the 100% cash Kiton suit, I tried to wear it, and realized its a L, I am a R. Anyone what to do a crazy highend trade-suit for suit?
The Kiton is a 44L, I am a 42-44 R.
This is pretty much a holy grail suit, no issues, dark charcoal with a blue window pane.
Im really looking for a perfect blue suit, Id love an Isaia.
Lemmie know!
If not, Ill consider alteration or selling.

JonHecht

Reaction score
I didn't pick up: Boss Black orphaned suit jacket, a beautiful GA sport jacket that was stained, and some orphaned jacket from Neiman Marcus (don't remember the brand), as well as some hickey-freeman. What I did get is an Oxxford sport jacket from NM, a thick cashmere blend Giofranco Ruffini winter jacket, and some nice ties. The ties are (from left to right) Viyella, YSL, and Lilly Dache. Oxxford:
8820_150223949536_616129536_2730556_1409902_n.jpg
8820_150223959536_616129536_2730558_4254161_n.jpg
8820_150223964536_616129536_2730559_4014868_n.jpg
Ruffini:
8820_150223974536_616129536_2730560_5487587_n.jpg
8820_150223984536_616129536_2730561_2752820_n.jpg
Ties:
8820_150223989536_616129536_2730562_3584972_n.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Here ya go...
Any ideas on how I might go about wearing these bad boys? Beyond wearing them with white pants, very light blue shirt and ...

Wow... incredible steal for $20 but it would be too pimpin' for me. I'd flip them on B&S.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Wow... incredible steal for $20 but it would be too pimpin' for me. I'd flip them on B&S.
I could see wearing them in the summer, but I don't know if these are right for me. What would these be worth do you think? There are model/order number stickers on the heels, but no price tag. I don't even know the maker, so I'm not sure how to price these appropriately ... were I to sell them. Any ideas?

mbell

Reaction score
I'm not finding anything in the thrifts but got some pretty decent deals at the outlet mall Labor Day weekend.

At BB Factory I got a nice blue slim fit linen sport shirt originally $98 for around $17 and a cotton/linen dress shirt from the luxury line originally $138 each for around $25. I also got some linen pants in a plaid of earth tones for around $20. Kind of unusual.

At NM Last Call they had bunch of shirts at 75% off the Last Call price. Most of them were gold label Ike Behar that ended up around $20-$23. I got one of those. Would have picked up more if I had a greater need for FC shirts. Got a purple striped Brioni for $49, originally $495. They had a Borrelli shirt I really liked with no price tag. The sales kid grabbed one of the sale Ike Behar shirts and said "Just have them scan this one." "Are you sure?" I said, and he said "Yes, it should be basically the same." I try on the shirt and the sleeves are about 3 inches too short.
frown.gif
Oh well.

At a consignment store I got a Borrelli Royal Collection shirt for $23. Incredible fabric and construction Not sure why they had it priced so low. They would normally have something like that around $40-$50 or more. It had an errant thread around one button, but it is not visible when buttoned and probably easily fixed anyway.

mike

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to another church sale this morning. Found a few nice things:

- 2 beat up Oxxford sportcoats. $1 each. I got them to salvage the buttons. The jackets themselves went straight to the donation pile
- 1 Oxxford suit. Made in mid 90's. A couple stains that could probably be removed. Otherwise in good shape. $3
- recent Gant " Providence Poplin Dress Fit" shirt $1
- Polo RL Made in Italy gray flannel trousers $2
- Two brand-new Set-Well suit hangers. .50 for the two.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two gorgeous Oxxford odd jackets from an estate. Both are in mint condition and, sadly, don't fit me (they measure to about 43 R) so they'll probably wind up on B&S. Also my first Charvet tie, a nice paisley. The silk is really decadent. Passed on two Sulka shirts as they were custom and the sleeve length seemed out of proportion.

JonHecht

Reaction score
I picked up a green windowpane botany 500 SC that fits quite well, a very well fitting grey zara shirt and a very pretty hickey-freeman cream SC that I'll probably resell. Total money spent: 8 dollars.

Edit: The Botany has a number of moth holes, but I got it for that very reason. I'm wearing it with the zara and my brown knit tie from earlier, for a very casual kinda battered look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads