• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: "Black tie with a spark"?

Sanddog

Reaction score
I've looked through the archives and haven't found this addressed, so I'm going to ask here:

I'm attending a charity fundraiser in NYC tomorrow night. The dress code is described as "Black Tie with a 'Spark'". This isn't uncommon in the city -- I see invitations for "Creative Black Tie" regularly. While I know that's a bit of an oxymoron according to the traditional rules, there it is.

So the question is, what have you worn or would you wear to fit with that dress code?

Below are an idea or two I've had. Please critique, amend, or ridicule, although do keep in mind that like it or not, this is a common dress advisory for events, at least in New York. I've never quite known what to do with it. As this is problem I face with some frequency, earnest consideration of the matter will be welcome.

1. Silver satin four in hand, matching pocket square. If I wear this, do I have to wear a vest? I get very warm in those. Would a cummerbund look atrocious? Is there a third way?

2. Bow tie and matching cummerbund in a color other than black. I have lovely sets in both gold and maroon from Paul Stuart, received as a gift a couple of years ago.

3. Different color shirt. Have a couple of shirts with patterns in the bib only which vaguely suggest a tuxedo shirt. Neither are designed to go with a tie, however. Would open collar be horrendous? At first blush, this seems like the worst idea of the three to me.

What do you think of these? Are there other black tie variations you can think of that would be better?

Thanks in advance. Bombs away...

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
1. Silver satin four in hand, matching pocket square. If I wear this, do I have to wear a vest? I get very warm in those. Would a cummerbund look atrocious? Is there a third way? 2. Bow tie and matching cummerbund in a color other than black. I have lovely sets in both gold and maroon from Paul Stuart, received as a gift a couple of years ago. 3. Different color shirt. Have a couple of shirts with patterns in the bib only which vaguely suggest a tuxedo shirt. Neither are designed to go with a tie, however. Would open collar be horrendous? At first blush, this seems like the worst idea of the three to me.
1. is awful, just awful. The matching pocket square is the rotten cherry on the spoiled whipped cream on the freezer-burned ice cream. No four-in-hands with black tie ever, no matter what. 2. Maroon is not the worst color for black-tie accessories, though the average person won't understand why this is a spark. 3. doesn't have much promise. I would suggest perfectly conventional black tie with ridiculous socks. Bright red, lime green, hot pink, or if you're feeling really wild: http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/page...ductID_223.php People may ask what your "spark" is when you're standing up--this gives you the great pleasure of subtly raising one trouser leg.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I personally would probably wear my standard black tie with a much bolder than normal pocket square, possibly made of electricity.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
319IhcdtvmL._AA280_.jpg

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key to the 'spark' is a splash of red. Like so
normal_038.jpg

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I'm really coming to hate these interminable efforts to "liven up" black tie. It's not like everyone is constantly wearing classically-styled tuxedos everywhere such that special events need to be organized to get people to loosen up. As far as I'm concerned, if you really want to do "black tie with a spark" try doing "black tie properly done."

Nonetheless, this is not what the sadly misguided organizers have in mind. If you really want to comply with this, I suggest either a) Faultless evening dress with an outrageous flower in your lapel, or b) Faultless evening dress with a white sequined pocket square. The latter alternative might not even look completely terrible.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Put a sunflower in your lapel. Eat the seeds while mingling.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill the pear with champagne rosÃ
00a9.png
, of course.

Doc4

Reaction score
Step 1: dress in proper black tie attire, done well.

Step 2: buy a "sparkler" and stick it in your chest pocket with the linen pocket square.

Step 3: when at the event, light the sparkler and hold it aloft.

Drogue

Reaction score
Use accessories to give you a spark. As others have said, colourful socks or a more elaborate than usual boutonniere work well, as would an interesting pocket square. There's no need to mess with the traditional shirt, bowtie or suit to add a spark, and it looks far more elegant to dress appropriately then add a touch of flair than to pursue the spark to the extent that you end up looking like you don't know what black tie is.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go with a black bow tie and a more "creative" cummerbund. Perhaps something like this one from Ben Silver:

CSJ1_R.jpg

Do NOT wear the matching bow tie. Bow ties and cummerbunds should not match unless they are both black.

in fits of print

Reaction score
My first thought would be blue velvet jacket with white pocket square. But I don't know if you have one of those. Since I don't know what you DO have, I'll just suggest that you NOT

--wear a long tie with a cummerbund.
--match your pocket square to your tie
--or match your tie to your cummerbund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads