• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Lendo

Reaction score
Tried on one of the flannels and the things are just too damn long on me to justify a purchase right now.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them somewhat regularly during my internship lol. Don't plan on doing it again when I go back full time next fall.

chiamdream

Reaction score
You can iron the secret wash shirts if you're worried about them looking too casual. They're no different than any other sport shirt.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That gingham gunmetal secret wash shirt is defintely going to get cop'd...wish i didn't have to spend $60, but *******...

shadrach

Reaction score
they need to make more tartans similar to their models earlier in the season.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Boy, shawl collar maddness! Are people in your city really wearing this stuff? I've never seen one outside of a retirement community. So the women get the ruffles and we get the shawl. And a $300 cashmere hoody that looks like a $10 Ross item? Meh.

I like:

Woodsman tartan
Gunmetal giant gingham
Cashmere bird's-eye cardigan (too expensive and I'm not really a cardi guy but it looks nice.)
Sherpa jacket (already have last years version but I can vouche for this being a nice piece.)
Corduroy workwear sportcoat (not too excited about it unless the fit is just right. Odds of that happening are are probably slim.)
Belstaff bags - these are baddass but out of my price range.

So thank goodness the pickings are slim for me, I need to start saving money.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sherpa jacket does look nice... but it isn't special enough for me to warrant purchasing

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Boy, shawl collar maddness! Are people in your city really wearing this stuff? I've never seen one outside of a retirement community.
y.

Ha ha. and wha...? What about James Bond and Steve McQueen?

I have two shawl collar sweaters, a bulky cardigan and a pull over. Love them to death.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket Nylon Racer Jacket

Wanttttt

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Ha ha. and wha...? What about James Bond and Steve McQueen? I have two shawl collar sweaters, a bulky cardigan and a pull over. Love them to death.
I can do a pull-over navy shawl with medium wash jeans and RW's -- i have no problems with that..It does the job on a cool enough day.. Disclaimer: I can understand how it wouldn't work for some.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
In the last catalogue that was mailed out they have one of the crewcut kids wearing a shawl collar cardigan and he looks like the mini-old man version of Benjamin Button. I think the only way to make it not look old mannish is if it's a thin knit and to wear it extremely slim.

Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Boy, shawl collar maddness! Are people in your city really wearing this stuff? I've never seen one outside of a retirement community. So the women get the ruffles and we get the shawl. And a $300 cashmere hoody that looks like a $10 Ross item? Meh.

I like:

Woodsman tartan
Gunmetal giant gingham
Cashmere bird's-eye cardigan (too expensive and I'm not really a cardi guy but it looks nice.)
Sherpa jacket (already have last years version but I can vouche for this being a nice piece.)
Corduroy workwear sportcoat (not too excited about it unless the fit is just right. Odds of that happening are are probably slim.)
Belstaff bags - these are baddass but out of my price range.

So thank goodness the pickings are slim for me, I need to start saving money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads