• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I have never seen a frat guy:

1) wear a tank top like that
2) wear drop-crotch sweatpants
3) wear Dior shoes

Have you ever seen a frat guy?

We don't have frat guys per se here, moreso bros who chest-butt their mates and yell a lot - they love to wear ed hardy, graphic tees and singlets/tank tops galore. They always wear sneakers, in many instances diesel (along with diesel jeans). Sweat pants are also very common and pulling them up in summer doesn't seem like a far stretch. Caps are also quite common among them, if they don't have a cap they generally have a buzz cut/very short hair.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I want a camera, too, but I know absolutely nothing about photography or cameras. Does it take thousands of dollars to do what the Sartorialist snapshots or can I do that for $400?
Need a reasonable SLR and short telephoto lens, probably set you back $600 or so for entry level, sartorialist probably uses 4 figure camera/lens.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want this but can't afford it
frown.gif
http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1129

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
See, I think you're wrong. I think it's pretty clear that I'm not some frat bro douche when you consider the brands I'm wearing. There is no way that whatever "bro" connotations are associated with baseball caps outweigh the rest of the fit.
Your basically getting the frat boy association on sufu because your not 5'6 and 135 lbs like half of the people on there.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
We don't have frat guys per se here, moreso bros who chest-butt their mates and yell a lot - they love to wear ed hardy, graphic tees and singlets/tank tops galore. They always wear sneakers, in many instances diesel (along with diesel jeans).

It's a good think you included the "chest-bumping mates" (I don't have mates to chest-bump) part in there, or I would think I'm a bro!

Sweat pants are also very common and pulling them up in summer doesn't seem like a far stretch.
Sometimes they wear jeans as well... and sometimes shorts! Oh dear, SF has a bro epidemic!

Caps are also quite common among them, if they don't have a cap they generally have a buzz cut/very short hair.
Yes, but they typically don't have Stazy's soft, cherubic, boyish good looks.

Nor, for that matter, his cherubic aura that lightens the space immediately surrounding his body.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I really feel for people who don't have dope stores by them so basically everyone outside of LA and NY.

It does not take long to work your way through the shops around here. But I will be in NYC in 3 weeks for wife's HS reunion. I will be dragging her to some proper stores while we are there. Was in LA at the beginning of May. Dropped by SW actually.

It is hard out here in peasant land. The upside is that, if you wear a shirt with sleeves, people think you are dressed up.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Ron herman has restored my faith.

I wish you luck, am not a big fan of nyc shopping but love the city. Make sure you go to the margiela store on greenwich though. Also go to cdg store, if, and century 21 with kunk.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Why is it that in threads like Recent Purchases/Should I Buy This or That/Top 10 Essentials show so many pictures of members with nicer clothes (Jil, Raf, etc) yet they almost never show up in the WAYWTs?

Most probably still don't look that good when it's all put together. Or are fat. Buying nice clothes doesn't necessarily mean they can pull them off.

Originally Posted by jet
I really feel for people who don't have dope stores by them so basically everyone outside of LA and NY.

frown.gif

I think i might go check out the barneys tomorrow and see if they got anything in. They usually have some solid things (balenciaga, rick, ann d, thom, dior, and some others) and the usual suspects like apc, shipley, acne, and what not. Don't remember seeing dries last time but hopefully they're carrying it for fall. I mainly just want to check some stuff out in person despite not having a prayer of affording it.

Might be in nyc over the weekend if i decide to go to the sf party and find a couch to sleep on saturday. Haven't actually been in the margiela/cdg store. Would be cool to see them as i've heard good things. Are you in nyc now, jet?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
It's BS were I live, absolutely nothing around. I bought one item that I wore three times and regret buying - everything else is from overseas. Fairly easy to find my basic stuff like NdG and W+H but when it comes to MMM or JS its not easy. Will be difficult next year when I start to diversify abit, should or shouldn't I buy thread is a godsend.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

If you're willing to take risks buying online it's not too bad being out side the fashion epicenters. Although it would be cool to live in a city where I wasn't the only person to own mmm.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^yes but seeing a crap load more in person and trying everything on solidifies your decisions to where it's hard to make mistakes

I am soaking up the sun in socal big alex.

Barneys sux btw.

Lachy

Reaction score
Online makes it hard to judge the quality and the feel of items, and to see the details not shown. To be actually able to hold it, try it on, try a size up/down, maybe different colours, etc.

You can get by online, but really, your judgment is impaired.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^yes but seeing a crap load more in person and trying everything on solidifies your decisions to where it's hard to make mistakes

I am soaking up the sun in socal big alex.

Barneys sux btw.

Yah I know what you mean. I'd probably have a seizure from overstimulation.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of ridicule about frat bros on here lately, which is entirely deserved. I may be the only one on SF willing to admit that I was a frat bro. We were horrible people. But god we had good times.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last trip to Ron Herman was too long ago. I have a trip to San Diego at the end of October. Might fly into SD and out of LA. Haven't done that before. SD/LA drive could be miserable midweek traffic hell. A Ron Herman visit may have to wait until spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads