• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean Katahdin Boots - good choice for winter?

ville_e

Reaction score
I'm looking for durable and stylish winter boots. LL Bean Katahdin's look really great!

Are they good in the snow/rain (water-proof)? Where can I buy them off the net from a European site ?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the engineer boot last fall and I could not be happier with them. They are comfortable and held up well in any weather New England could throw at me. I wore them almost exclusively from October through March. I will be breaking them out again soon.

ville_e

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the waterproof version.

Which one of these would you choose:

Filson Highlander Boots

Red Wing Gentleman Traveller

LL Bean Katahdin Water-proof

? Thanks!

Can I get these boots off any European sites?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I bought the engineer boot last fall and I could not be happier with them. They are comfortable and held up well in any weather New England could throw at me. I wore them almost exclusively from October through March. I will be breaking them out again soon.

I have those also, and yes, I love those!!

Exit English

Reaction score
I just got mine the other day and damn they are comfortable right out of the box. Im looking forward to wearing them this winter in Toronto.

asdf

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of the katahdin engineer boots? me likey.

ville_e

Reaction score
Do you guys like the waterproofs compared to the engineers? Which one would you choose? Do the engineers work in snow and rain as well?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Can anyone comment on the fit of the katahdin engineer boots? me likey.
They fit me true to size - 10E

Originally Posted by ville_e
Do you guys like the waterproofs compared to the engineers? Which one would you choose? Do the engineers work in snow and rain as well?
I only have the engineers, so I can't comment on anything else, but I did a lot of walking around in the snow, sleet, and rain last winter and all was good. I tend to wear heavy socks when it's real cold.

ville_e

Reaction score
I wear UK11 in Clarks desert boots. Can anyone comment on what size would fit me in the:

L.L. Bean Katahdin

Red Wing Gentleman Traveller

sorry for all the questions!
smile.gif

TC11201

Reaction score
I have both the Katahdin Engineers and the GTs. Both great boots and both are fine for winter in a climate comparable to the NE US (which I believe Helsinki has). I found the GT harder to break in - took a number of wears and a number of blisters before they lost their stiffness, but are now great. The Katahdins were easier to break in, are also very durable, less expensive but a little less refined (GTs can be dressed up a little bit, Katahdins really can't). The Katahdins also have the LL Bean guarantee, which is fantastic and almost unmatched in my experience. I'd personally go for the Katahdins, but both are great boots and will be fine through a rugged winter.

acconrad

Reaction score
what would you guys get between the Bean Boot and the Engineer Boot if you're dealing with new england rain and snow...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads