• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ArrestedDevelopment_ImmaculateElection.jpg

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
This happened about 5 blocks from the apartment I just moved from - it's quite the buzz around town

This happened 10 houses down my street
wow.gif
I vaguely knew the kid too. If you check out the hopkins message boards, there would be serious facepalming at the amount of racist **** being spewed (also the amount of sexual frustration, which almost makes SF look suave). There were some classic lines though:

Looks like this robber

(Puts on sunglasses)

Has been successfully disarmed

You could say that this robber

(Puts on sunglasses)

was caught red-handed

(puts on sunglasses)

got the five finger discount

You could say Johns Hopkins

(puts on sunglasses)

is really cutting edge

They do say Hopkins is a cutthroat environment.

facepalm.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ Really got to hand it to you.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Dude had 29 arrests for burglary... what does it take to get locked up for real around there? P.s. has anyone seen hopkins_student lately?
Baltimore is going to hell in a handbasket. The kid handled his business. Still I feel bad for the ham-fisted burglar. He was probably dealt a poor hand in life, living hand to mouth by palming other people's property. Was he was naughty by nature?

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
This happened 10 houses down my street
wow.gif
I vaguely knew the kid too. If you check out the hopkins message boards, there would be serious facepalming at the amount of racist **** being spewed (also the amount of sexual frustration, which almost makes SF look suave). There were some classic lines though:

Looks like this robber

(Puts on sunglasses)

Has been successfully disarmed

(Puts on sunglasses)

was caught red-handed

(puts on sunglasses)

got the five finger discount

You could say Johns Hopkins

(puts on sunglasses)

is really cutting edge

They do say Hopkins is a cutthroat environment.

facepalm.gif

lol from here on out I'm going to think you look like Horatio Caine

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On one hand, I don't necessarily agree with the young jedi taking the law into his own hands. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I generally tend to raise my hand against. On the other hand, the garage was probably filled with hand-me-downs that he didn't want to see fall into the wrong hands, or maybe some game cards he paid an arm and a leg for. And if the young nerd didn't feel like he would be in safe hands with the long arm of the law, well then he had to hold the guy at arm's length and eventually take the upper hand.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I am answering you, but the following responses are in kind and I don't feel like multi-quoting.

My problem is by bringing a sword he has limited the options he has, you have to cut someone to stop them. It is the same thing if you bring a gun, you have to shoot them, that is your only option.

I think he had other options, he could have ran, he could have secured the main area and called the police. It was in his garage, so he was in no immediate danger. He voluntarily stepped into a situation to protect possessions with a means of deterence/defense that has a focused use.

I don't feel sorry for the criminal, I feel sorry for the sword wielder who I think did not think things through and now could be facing a very different future.

So you're saying this student should have pulled out his Game Theory book and analyzed the situation?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
So you're saying this student should have pulled out his Game Theory book and analyzed the situation?

well played
smile.gif

offtopic hey san jose there's near where I live.

In the heat of the the moment I don't think anyone thinks rationally

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
On one hand, I don't necessarily agree with the young jedi taking the law into his own hands. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I generally tend to raise my hand against. On the other hand, the garage was probably filled with hand-me-downs that he didn't want to see fall into the wrong hands, or maybe some game cards he paid an arm and a leg for. And if the young nerd didn't feel like he would be in safe hands with the long arm of the law, well then he had to hold the guy at arm's length and eventually take the upper hand.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

This deserves a quote.
Nicely done, g.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman

Only if his Common Sense book wasn't handy.

JLib made a reasonable rebuttle to my post regarding personal property protection and defensive/offensive actions. I had no response other than to restate my position which doesn't further the conversation just extends it. We land on different sides of the fence so no further development would occur unless someone with a different viewpoint added to the conversation.

Unfortunately all we got was you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics