• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That dude just styled on 99% of MC.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Honestly, can't blame him and anyone else would do the same in his shoes.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make fun of him. Price he pays for selling out.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't take it anymore. I just looked at "The Sart," and I wonder, "where is anyone going to wear all those cropped trousers?" They look like refugees from the thrift store with the afternoon off to go fishing.
And it's not just The Sartorialist. SF is guilty too. Pants are supposed to have a break. If you want to wear jeans, go buy jeans. If you want to show off your hardware, go to the beach. But for chrissakes, I don't want to see your ankles and I probably won't like your choice of shoes, either. This clown-costume as way-to-go has got to stop. Guys nowadays are clueless enough as it is; it is a cruel trick to get them to buy a proper suit and then irreparably ruin it by cutting the pants too short.

Whew, I feel better now. S.

jcc123

Reaction score
Who's going to his book signing at Barney's?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're joking, right?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You're joking, right?

I'm a little curious about SartoriaLUST, though.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
I can't take it anymore. I just looked at "The Sart," and I wonder, "where is anyone going to wear all those cropped trousers?" They look like refugees from the thrift store with the afternoon off to go fishing.
And it's not just The Sartorialist. SF is guilty too. Pants are supposed to have a break. If you want to wear jeans, go buy jeans. If you want to show off your hardware, go to the beach. But for chrissakes, I don't want to see your ankles and I probably won't like your choice of shoes, either. This clown-costume as way-to-go has got to stop. Guys nowadays are clueless enough as it is; it is a cruel trick to get them to buy a proper suit and then irreparably ruin it by cutting the pants too short.

Whew, I feel better now. S.

Thank you.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are supposed to have a break.

Says who? A range similiar to that shown below has always been the option. I agree about pants above the ankle, but no break has been legitimate for at least 60-70 years.

Break types

* Full break: Occurs on a pant that extends in the back to the top of the shoe heel (or further).
* Slight break: Will be about 3/4 to 1 inch shorter than a full break.
* No break: The pant is just long enough in the front to touch the top of the shoe without creating any bend (break) in the fabric when you are standing normally and looking straight ahead (not bending and looking down at your shoes).

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Break types

No break: The pant is just long enough in the front to touch the top of the shoe without creating any bend (break) in the fabric

I agree, such a type exists, but it doesn't look very good on a suit or pair of tailored trousers, IMO. Lately, it seems, designers have been going to this to A) call attention to their wares, and B) make kids who grew up wearing jeans feel comfortable buying and wearing a pair of tailored pants. There seems to be a movement afoot for what had been an "extreme" end of the spectrum with regard to the break to become the new norm (i.e, little to no break) and the designers now have to roll up the pants legs on their models to attract any attention to their stuff. Follow at the risk of feeling like an idiot in a couple of years, I say. An idiot who owns a lot of unwearable, expensive tailored suits. Caveat emptor. -Spats

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bored.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, such a type exists, but it doesn't look very good on a suit or pair of tailored trousers, IMO. Lately, it seems, designers have been going to this to A) call attention to their wares, and B) make kids who grew up wearing jeans feel comfortable buying and wearing a pair of tailored pants. There seems to be a movement afoot for what had been an "extreme" end of the spectrum with regard to the break to become the new norm (i.e, little to no break) and the designers now have to roll up the pants legs on their models to attract any attention to their stuff. Follow at the risk of feeling like an idiot in a couple of years, I say. An idiot who owns a lot of unwearable, expensive tailored suits. Caveat emptor. -Spats

What does it have to do with jeans? A lot of people wear their jeans very long.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear jeans with stacks, and pants with no break...

im just a victim of fashion hype though

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong to wear jeans with about as much break as my dress pants (that is little)? I'm not a fan of stacked jeans or full break. Both seem sloppy to me.

elgreco

Reaction score
sigh...i get that the idea behind style is to master the "rules" and then tweak them to suit your personality, but this is just stupid:
_MG_9182.jpg
The tie outside the jacket? What's next? "OMG, HE'S WEARING HIS SOCKS OVER HIS SHOES!"

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The facial hair (WTF IS IT?>????) on the other dude annoys me even more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads