• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Exactly. If you buy a $500 pair of shoes that last you 10 years, that's $50 a year to wear a great pair of shoes year in and year out. Alternatively, you could spend the same amount (or more) every year on crappy shoes and wear a crappy pair of shoes year in and year out.

Hold on there. Common Projects are 300$ and I don't think they'll last 10 years. Sneakers is different, you can/should beat them up and not care about them. I think you're talking about dress shoes.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Hold on there. Common Projects are 300$ and I don't think they'll last 10 years. Sneakers is different, you can/should beat them up and not care about them. I think you're talking about dress shoes.
I suspect people who rationalize purchases like that don't actually do it. I had one sneaker for casual wear the past 6 months. I only wore it Friday night, Sat and Sunday maximum. Normally twice per week. 7 months of weekend wear + 5 days in HK = literally holes in the soles. $300 sneakers didn't last 1 year. edit: That said, I don't regret the purchase at all. The shoes were sweet and fit well.

JRyder

Reaction score
Its funny discovering this post. I have wondered this very thing considering my friends think spending $50.00 on a shirt is preposterous let lone 150 or god forbid 200. I don't talk about it and they don't ask. I have had to train my wife not to comment on the price of some of my clothing which she gratefully obliges. I'm glad to find out that many share my experience of being a closet clothing junkie. But who cares really, my father dresses well, my grandfathers too. Men use to care, no longer do or if they do its for the wrong reasons. I'd like to think caring about colors, textures, fits and fabrics in like caring about wine, food, architecture and literature-an appreciation of quality.

wttm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
I suspect people who rationalize purchases like that don't actually do it.

I had one sneaker for casual wear the past 6 months. I only wore it Friday night, Sat and Sunday maximum. Normally twice per week. 7 months of weekend wear + 5 days in HK = literally holes in the soles. $300 sneakers didn't last 1 year.

edit: That said, I don't regret the purchase at all. The shoes were sweet and fit well.

you must drag your feet a lot.
I've had my CPs for 3 years and the soles are still pretty damn thick for how much they've gone through.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one friend who would up his game if prices were better and items were accessible here.

All other mates dress in homeless steeze.

A suprisingly large amount of guys like the denim I have.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'd like to think caring about colors, textures, fits and fabrics in like caring about wine, food, architecture and literature-an appreciation of quality."

Agree 100%

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend, who is not into clothing whatsoever (dresses about as average as you expect any teenager to dress) recently went to China and was apparently impressed with Zara and Uniqlo, picked up some decent stuff there.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
My great aunt always used to reply back with "if i was rich I'd buy junk because then I could afford to throw it away all the time" whenever someone quesitoned her expensive purchases.

worship.gif
worship.gif
this is what im using from now on

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Not only do they not know how to not dress like crap everywhere they go crap is being sold. Pretty hard to dress well when virtually the whole mall is crap. I tend to not talk about sf like it's the first rule of fight club.

seriously, the other day i walked through the mall, absolutely nothing was buyable, nothing at all... girls atleast have lots of inexpensive alternatives, guys have none... i wanted to see what was out there, even target had nothing, whereas the girls section for target has atleast lots of decent basics

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few that dress good, some dress average and the rest dress like shiite

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
seriously, the other day i walked through the mall, absolutely nothing was buyable, nothing at all... girls atleast have lots of inexpensive alternatives, guys have none... i wanted to see what was out there, even target had nothing, whereas the girls section for target has atleast lots of decent basics

occasionally i'll find a decent shirt at target. the keanan duffty button downs are about as nice of a shirt as you're going to find for $30 (i got one on sale online for 12), but not all the stores have them. for the most part....yeah, everything sucks

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crap how?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friends still dress like they did when they graduated from high school. They got off the fashion train about 15-20 years ago.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
Men use to care, no longer do or if they do its for the wrong reasons.
Somehow, men caring is nowadays perceived as a sign of "un-manliness". The less you care about things, the "more" of a man you are...
confused.gif

Originally Posted by JRyder
I'd like to think caring about colors, textures, fits and fabrics in like caring about wine, food, architecture and literature-an appreciation of quality.
True. I think those qualities would normally be found in a classy person.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder why women's clothing is so inexpensive compared to men's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads